DACS Payback 2021

19 minutes ago, Stokie said:

that only involved sending DACS a spreadsheet of Alamy sales and they did the rest.

I used to do this but it's no longer really necessary as I only have a few qualifiers, and as you say the publlication matching is more important now anyway.

You can search  "alamy (your name) -alamy.com -alamy.de -alamyimages.fr" (on Google) to exclude results on Alamy itself. Include as many of the internatioanl sites as you can be bothered with- I usually don't.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

I just looked at my DACS statement for last year and 4/5ths of the money I was paid came from Part 1. So it really is important to try and track down those uses.

Searching 'Google Books' is a good place to start. 

I also found, rather strangely, that adding a wildcard threw up new uses ' 'geogphotos + wildcard'

Given that schools, colleges, and libraries have been closed for so much of the year I wonder what effect that will have on recorded uses of textbooks. reference books etc. No doubt DACS will find away around it and in case it will be the same for everybody. 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

I had a reply from DACS that they had not received any notification from the CLA that school closures and so on would affect amounts available for Payback. Also that the calculations for matches are done on a rolling base incorporating results from previous years. 

On 21/01/2021 at 09:01, geogphotos said:

Searching 'Google Books' is a good place to start. 

I also found, rather strangely, that adding a wildcard threw up new uses ' 'geogphotos + wildcard'

Is a good wildcard only different countries Ian?

What about magazines.  I found quite a few a while back but forget how to find them.  Do you remember?

14 minutes ago, Reimar said:

What about magazines.  I found quite a few a while back but forget how to find them.  Do you remember?

I've only ever discovered two UK magazine uses, one while browsing through The Economist at a newsstand a few years back, and another image in a UK birdwatching magazine that someone kindly posted in the "Images Found" forum thread last year.

12 hours ago, Reimar said:

How this works is by cutting through the normal Google Books search results and digging deeper into more image credits.

Wildcards that work well for books are people's names that appear with your own in the credits. But I tried countries, animals, foods, colours, anything that came to mind.

Magazines are harder to find - I subscribed to 'Readly' for a month and in that time no new ones appeared. But did find approx 30 straight away.

I think that the most worthwhile to find are textbooks and exam revision books - because they are most likely to be copied and recorded in an institution. They are expensive and very often schools /colleges do not have enough for every student.  Nowadays many schools have dedicated reprographics departments which are more likely to record uses on CLA forms than in my day when it was down to a busy teacher rushing to do some photocopying in their break.

You could try the name of major UK examination boards such as AQA, Edexcel, OCR, and major UK textbook publishers of subjects that you have sold. I found geography textbooks but also sociology, biology, physics, chemistry, economics, statistics, history and so on. Try some of those subjects names and others as wildcards. Also words connected with education such as exam, examination, revise, revision, study, studies, course, syllabus etc ( Must go back and try more of this myself! )

Worth trying 'A Level', and 'GCSE' - 16+ exams in England and Wales

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 2
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, geogphotos said:

How this works is by cutting through the normal Google Books search results and digging deeper into more image credits.

Wildcards that work well for books are people's names that appear with your own in the credits. But I tried countries, animals, foods, colours, anything that came to mind.

Magazines are harder to find - I subscribed to 'Readly' for a month and in that time no new ones appeared. But did find approx 30 straight away.

I think that the most worthwhile to find are textbooks and exam revision books - because they are most likely to be copied and recorded in an institution. They are expensive and very often schools /colleges do not have enough for every student.  Nowadays many schools have dedicated reprographics departments which are more likely to record uses on CLA forms than in my day when it was down to a busy teacher rushing to do some photocopying in their break.

You could try the name of major UK examination boards such as AQA, Edexcel, OCR, and major UK textbook publishers of subjects that you have sold. I found geography textbooks but also sociology, biology, physics, chemistry, economics, statistics, history and so on. Try some of those subjects names and others as wildcards. Also words connected with education such as exam, examination, revise, revision, study, studies, course, syllabus etc ( Must go back and try more of this myself! )

Worth trying 'A Level', and 'GCSE' - 16+ exams in England and Wales

I have just been doing my DACS claim for the present year. I claim it myself, not through Alamy, and in previous years have only managed to find a few publications, mainly books by searching my name in Google Books, and then in addition sending in a downloaded EXCEL spreadsheet from Alamy.

So when I looked at my Part 1, I had about 15 books in there from previous years searches, and was able to add 2 new ones using my normal search (ie my name).

I then tried Ian's trick of adding another word. Amazing. I started off with countries I have visited, and rapidly got numbers up to about 70 books. So I then tried different words and got up to 90 in total. 

I then just put my name in with a one letter wildcard (ie. kumar sriskandan z). Virtually every single letter threw up a new book. The same with single numbers! So I then started numbers with more than 1 digit and still new publications came up! My current Part 1 submission stands at about 125 books. My question is where do I stop???

Thanks Ian for the wildcard idea!

Kumar

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I have just been doing my DACS claim for the present year. I claim it myself, not through Alamy, and in previous years have only managed to find a few publications, mainly books by searching my name in Google Books, and then in addition sending in a downloaded EXCEL spreadsheet from Alamy.

So when I looked at my Part 1, I had about 15 books in there from previous years searches, and was able to add 2 new ones using my normal search (ie my name).

I then tried Ian's trick of adding another word. Amazing. I started off with countries I have visited, and rapidly got numbers up to about 70 books. So I then tried different words and got up to 90 in total. 

I then just put my name in with a one letter wildcard (ie. kumar sriskandan z). Virtually every single letter threw up a new book. The same with single numbers! So I then started numbers with more than 1 digit and still new publications came up! My current Part 1 submission stands at about 125 books. My question is where do I stop???

Kumar

I found several new ones today including one that seemed so obvious I don't know how I missed it. Also look for new editions, and both paperback and hardback editions. 

I use a separate spreadsheet so that during the year I build up entries ready for when DACS opens. When I start typing in the data the spreadsheet recognises if it is already listed so it saves time trying to enter duplicates into the DACS form. When you build up quite a large number you do start to forget what has been entered.

Not sure that I 'tried 'geogphotos Kumar' so must go and give it a try. 

You can find online news websites ( wired, Metro, Forbes) by searching Google and then selecting the News option.

Doc, you can treat me to a pint in the Sorrel Horse, Shottisham one day😁

Edited by geogphotos

On 25/01/2021 at 09:51, Doc said:

Kumar

Same here. I too have found a number (not as many you, though, wow!) of new ISBN's this year using Ian's tip with Google Books. My old list was pathetic.

I'd join you two at the pub if circumstance permitted. 🍺✈️😷

BTW, Part I has to be submitted to DACS by Feb. 26th -- is that correct?

Just now, Avpics said:

Just had a $ ASCRL payment reported. A reminder I guess that even if Alamy were to claim for any similar schemes around the world that the chances are that the returns wouldn't be huge.

So this has nothing to do with DACS and it is Alamy reporting it. We can't really know about the potential without knowing how much Alamy puts into this sort of claim. 

1 hour ago, Avpics said:

Just had a $ ASCRL payment reported. A reminder I guess that even if Alamy were to claim for any similar schemes around the world that the chances are that the returns wouldn't be huge.

Did you claim for this yourself?  I tried claiming for this but have had no success yet.  Was it a worthwhile payment comparable to DACS?

55 minutes ago, Reimar said:

Did you claim for this yourself? ..... Was it a worthwhile payment comparable to DACS?

No, it just turns up via Alamy and I wasn't aware of it until it popped into my report previously. The amount I've received is $3.51, but it's not possible to tell how that figure comes about or whether claiming directly would make much difference.

Edited by Avpics

Today I have a difference between my "current cleared balance" on my dashboard and the balance (cleared-to-date), shown on the "Net sales revenue report".

N.B. It's more on the dashboard...

I've never noticed that before.

🙄???

Edited by Ognyan Yosifov