DACS Payback 2021

I have never really looked at the part 1 as I knew so few of my publications. But Ian's statements that 80% of his DACS payment came from Part 1 and his wildcard scheme has opened my eyes. Before I start then, is the ISBN all I need to note or do I need date of publication, circulation, website links, etc.

51 minutes ago, Colin Woods said:

I have never really looked at the part 1 as I knew so few of my publications. But Ian's statements that 80% of his DACS payment came from Part 1 and his wildcard scheme has opened my eyes. Before I start then, is the ISBN all I need to note or do I need date of publication, circulation, website links, etc.

You just need to type in the ISBN/ISSN and press 'Search' - it will then match it with a book/mag in the database. Occasionally I had ISBNs that were not recognised so I wrote the name in the space provided ( not a good sign because there won't be a match - check that you have the correct ISBN for the title that you wrote down). Just getting an entry accepted is no guarantee of any money.

Next you enter how many images and that's it.

I use a spreadsheet that DACS provided a few years back and when I am searching Google I record the ISBN/ISSN and title ready for when DACS opens for the next year. I'd suggest recording both the number and title so that you are able to cross-check.

Happy hunting!

Edited by geogphotos

7 minutes ago, Colin Woods said:

Its working! Next time I'm in Essex I'll come up a buy you a pint Ian.

I'm in Suffolk - that would be great Colin.  Have a look on Alamy at the 'Sorrel Horse, Shottisham' 

Pleased that you are having success. 

On 25/01/2021 at 03:01, geogphotos said:

I subscribed to 'Readly' for a month and in that time no new ones appeared. But did find approx 30 straight away.

I had never even heard of Readly. Can you search inside it for image credits or do you have to plough through all the magazines one a time?

5 minutes ago, Colin Woods said:

I had never even heard of Readly. Can you search inside it for image credits or do you have to plough through all the magazines one a time?

There is a search function which searches all magazines. I used a trial subscription and found around 30 straight off - that was several months ago. In late December I paid for a month's sub but there weren't any additional ones for me.  I then cancelled by sub so it has now ended. Not sure how great it is or whether it is worth it. Perhaps somebody could search for you. 

As Reimar commented there are advantages to having a pseudo like mine so not sure how you would get on.

Readly give two months free so I will give it a go. I may trip up on trying to get to Readly UK from a Canadian IP address. Is there a way of finding the country that the book was published in or is a google search on each one to find the copyright pages?

Just now, Colin Woods said:

Readly give two months free so I will give it a go. I may trip up on trying to get to Readly UK from a Canadian IP address. Is there a way of finding the country that the book was published in or is a google search on each one to find the copyright pages?

To start with I didn't record ones published in USA etc, but in the end I did enter some on the DACS Part 1 - no idea if that is a waste of time. I thought that there was no harm in doing it.

Fair enough - I am finding a few US ones. When I search in google books I get to a page that is a preview of the book with the credit page visible. Sometimes there is more than one page of credits - is there a way of visualising these pages to see if I have more than one image in the book? The one I am looking at right now has only one page of credits visible in the google.books preview and there are other pages of credits.

4 minutes ago, Colin Woods said:

Fair enough - I am finding a few US ones. When I search in google books I get to a page that is a preview of the book with the credit page visible. Sometimes there is more than one page of credits - is there a way of visualising these pages to see if I have more than one image in the book? The one I am looking at right now has only one page of credits visible in the google.books preview and there are other pages of credits.

Cntrl + F allows for page searches.

Hmm, not for me. I must be going awry somewhere. I get a preview of the page, exactly as it looks in the book. Like this

https://books.google.ca/books?id=nbWBBAAAQBAJ&pg=PA480&dq=cbw/alamy+space&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwju-67rkMTuAhVgGVkFHQr2CMgQ6AEwA3oECAUQAg#v=onepage&q=cbw%2Falamy space&f=false

and Ctrl F doesn't do anything

Scratch that, found it. Actually I am more confused now. The Ctrl F seaech box appears but will not search as the image is just an image of the book. I will keep on going, up to 32 books so far.

Edited by Colin Woods

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

To start with I didn't record ones published in USA etc, but in the end I did enter some on the DACS Part 1 - no idea if that is a waste of time. I thought that there was no harm in doing it.

I now enter the ISBN in the DACS search box. If the book is in their database, I add it to my list. As you say, no harm in trying. They can always just ignore it.

49 minutes ago, Colin Woods said:

Scratch that, found it. Actually I am more confused now. The Ctrl F seaech box appears but will not search as the image is just an image of the book. I will keep on going, up to 32 books so far.

Cntrl F doesn't usually work well for me either. I've basically given up looking for multiple uses. However, I did come across two of my images used in the same Vancouver travel guide because each image was credited to a different pseudo. As a result, they came up in separate Google Books searches. A rare event.

18 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I now enter the ISBN in the DACS search box. If the book is in their database, I add it to my list. As you say, no harm in trying. They can always just ignore it.

I've just found an OUP Canada one - a book about lesbianism - I just wish I could see what the picture is!😜

On 30/01/2021 at 08:19, Colin Woods said:

Have you had much/any luck finding your images in UK magazines? As mentioned, I've only come across two over the years, more or less by accident.

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Have you had much/any luck finding your images in UK magazines? As mentioned, I've only come across two over the years, more or less by accident.

Not at all, apart from the mentions in the Have You Found thread here. I only go to the UK for a couple of weeks a year and hardly ever buy magazines, either there or here. My bookshelves are groaning under the weight of unread books, I really do not need to spend on extra reading material.

When you use the wildcard search are you then checking inside the book to be sure you really have an image in there? When I search my name and alamy I get hundreds of hits, but most are not books I have images in. In fact, even when I search my name, unusual as it is, I get tons of hits for books without images. 

3 hours ago, Marianne said:

When you use the wildcard search are you then checking inside the book to be sure you really have an image in there? When I search my name and alamy I get hundreds of hits, but most are not books I have images in. In fact, even when I search my name, unusual as it is, I get tons of hits for books without images. 

Only include the ones that show your name/pseudo in the actual Credits - not all the others that Google throws up. 

Edited by geogphotos

20 hours ago, Colin Woods said:

Not at all, apart from the mentions in the Have You Found thread here. I only go to the UK for a couple of weeks a year and hardly ever buy magazines, either there or here. My bookshelves are groaning under the weight of unread books, I really do not need to spend on extra reading material.

Same here. Looking for magazine uses is a lost cause.

I tend to do most of my magazine reading at the newsstand these days. 😁

11 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Only include the ones that show your name/pseudo in the actual Credits - not all the others that Google throws up. 

Absolutely! With people saying they found hundreds I wanted to be sure they weren't mistaken in assuming that meant their images were actually in all those books. 

Ironically, now that fewer books have previews, it can be harder to find uses. I wish all books would include the copyright pages and photo credits.

I found a lot more magazines using google images search - more new ones than I anticipated in 2020 in travel articles. Wish major magazines would use our names and not simply "Alamy," "Getty," etc. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Same here. Looking for magazine uses is a lost cause.

I tend to do most of my magazine reading at the newsstand these days. 😁

With Covid worse than ever in Westchester County, NY where I live, newsstand browsing is a fond memory. Someday though with hardly any bookstores left, "newsstands," i.e. a small rack of magazines in my neighborhood Walgreens or at the supermarket are far less diverse than when we had larger bookstores in surrounding towns. We have two small independent bookstores left, which is great, but neither carry magazines.