DACS Payback 2021

11 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Canada has a similar organization, but you have to be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident in order to become an affiliate.

That is the sort of little gripe that caused me to write my original comment. The UK scheme is open to everybody around the world, other schemes seem not to be! 

Not exactly internationalism is it!  Do you know what the justification is for limiting it to Canadians/residents of Canada?

Nothing personal John but I'm sure you get my drift....

Edited by geogphotos

Hello all,

Concerning DACS claims...anyone could tell me which channel broadcasts "BBC News & Sport" program? BBC 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 /....other?

I recently have got a use in that program (from another agency) but I'm not sure in which channel I have to report in DACS Part 2 form.

Thank you in advance!

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

But why can't Alamy claim in all the countries that have secondary rights schemes and where Alamy license images?

That's how I was thinking. I leave Alamy to claim for DACS in the UK because I don't believe I would see enough of the licences to claim direct, and that would be even more so for publications around the world. It would seem good business by Alamy to claim from payments any similar schemes those countries have in place, of which we'd get a share.

5 hours ago, geogphotos said:

That is the sort of little gripe that caused me to write my original comment. The UK scheme is open to everybody around the world, other schemes seem not to be! 

Not exactly internationalism is it!  Do you know what the justification is for limiting it to Canadians/residents of Canada?

Nothing personal John but I'm sure you get my drift....

I have no idea why the Canadian copyright outfit is so limited. Perhaps DACS' generous "internationalism" has something to do (in part, anyway) with its seemingly close relationship with Alamy, which has contributors from all over the planet. 🌏

Edited by John Mitchell

7 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I thought you were referring to collecting societies in general. Alamy only claims through DACS.

I have had a payment listed as "other income ASCRL" (The American Society for Collective Rights Licensing). So maybe some more are included (not sure though).

Edited by Panthera tigris

6 hours ago, shearwater said:

Hello all,

Concerning DACS claims...anyone could tell me which channel broadcasts "BBC News & Sport" program? BBC 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 /....other?

I recently have got a use in that program (from another agency) but I'm not sure in which channel I have to report in DACS Part 2 form.

Thank you in advance!

'BBC News & Sport' isn't one programme. It's a division of the BBC which creates multiple programmes across *all* the BBC TV and radio channels + emails, podcasts, websites, etc. etc. Your image may possibly have been used on various channels. Impossible to say.

Probably best to email DACS to see what they suggest.

Edited by losdemas
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Panthera tigris said:

I have had a payment listed as "other income ASCRL" (The American Society for Collective Rights Licensing). So maybe some more are included (not sure though).

i had that too in August and last year I had a DACS additional German payment. All this through Alamy.

Paulette

37 minutes ago, NYCat said:

i had that too in August and last year I had a DACS additional German payment. All this through Alamy.

Paulette

That's very positive to hear. Alamy has offices in both USA and Germany which may have something to do with it. 

14 hours ago, losdemas said:

'BBC News & Sport' isn't one programme. It's a division of the BBC which creates multiple programmes across *all* the BBC TV and radio channels + emails, podcasts, websites, etc. etc. Your image may possibly have been used on various channels. Impossible to say.

Probably best to email DACS to see what they suggest.

Ok. I was supposing something like that. Yes, better to ask DACS then.

Thank you very much, Danny!

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, shearwater said:

Ok. I was supposing something like that. Yes, better to ask DACS then.

Thank you very much, Danny!

I asked DACS about this recently ( hoping for the best though I knew the likely answer) and in order to make a claim you need to know the channel. Unfortunately our agents - not just Alamy -  don't provide that information. So, unless you can find some other way of finding out the channel you can't claim. 

Edited by geogphotos

10 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I asked DACS about this recently ( hoping for the best though I knew the likely answer) and in order to make a claim you need to know the channel. Unfortunately our agents - not just Alamy -  don't provide that information. So, unless you can find some other way of finding out the channel you can't claim. 

Ok, I'll try to check the license details...for some hiding clue.

Surely hasn't anyone seeing any angelshark's face buried in volcanic sand in any BBC programme in the last months...don't you? 🙄:D

Thank you, Ian!

Just now, shearwater said:

Ok, I'll try to check the license details...for some hiding clue.

Surely hasn't anyone seeing any angelshark's face buried in volcanic sand in any BBC programme in the last months...don't you? 🙄:D

Thank you, Ian!

Try and ask the agency. Tell them that any extra money helps to keep you contributing and it isn't costing them anything apart from a little research.

And after all they love ya! 

1 minute ago, geogphotos said:

Try and ask the agency. Tell them that any extra money helps to keep you contributing and it isn't costing them anything apart from a little research.

And after all they love ya! 

Ufff...contributor support of that agency is in the completely opposite place of the universe compared to Alamy's CR. Won't hold my breathe.

Not completely sure they love me...never did, and don't think ever will. I just have there a bunch of old images from compact cameras (not acceptable by Alamy).

Thank you, Ian.

27 minutes ago, shearwater said:

Ufff...contributor support of that agency is in the completely opposite place of the universe compared to Alamy's CR. Won't hold my breathe.

Not completely sure they love me...never did, and don't think ever will. I just have there a bunch of old images from compact cameras (not acceptable by Alamy).

Thank you, Ian.

Might be a clue here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55193335

Edited by geogphotos

20 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Might be a clue here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55193335

Eyyy! You have found it! 👏:D

Mine is the image appearing at 1:45.

So, do you think Is this a valid TV broadcast for DACS claim? BBC News channel?

Thank you very much, Ian.

P.D. I better don't comment about license price...you would cry loudly 😢

36 minutes ago, shearwater said:

It might just be on the internet rather than TV. Maybe find a reason to contact BBC Wales to find out if it was in an actual TV programme?

Doesn't this just illustrate the madness of the system we are working in when the agencies have the information and also the self-interest not to share to with contributors! 

And also that tracing these uses could be better paid than the original use!! 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, shearwater said:

Probably can't go wrong claiming for BBC News, I guess. However, it's likely that a news video like that would have been used on 'BBC1 Wales'. So, a claim for BBC1 is very likely valid. Here in the UK, we automatically get localised news programmes, generally broadcast directly after the main national news, depending on our physical location. So, for example, I get BBC 'South Today' on BBC1 after the national/international news, those in Wales will get localised news for them, and so on.

Unfortunately, it's difficult to search for specific news items as - as far as I'm aware - BBC iPlayer, doesn't archive news programmes (for general public broadcast, anyway). They are only available on the day of broadcast. Beyond that, items are added to the website (well done, Ian, on finding that, BTW).

You could always scour YouTube and social media sites for local Wales news on and shortly after that date. Could be worthwhile?

Edited by losdemas
YouTube etc

11 minutes ago, losdemas said:

Probably can't go wrong claiming for BBC News, I guess. However, it's likely that a news video like that would have been used on 'BBC1 Wales'. So, a claim for BBC1 is very likely valid. Here in the UK, we automatically get localised news programmes, generally broadcast directly after the main national news, depending on our physical location. So, for example, I get BBC 'South Today' on BBC1 after the national/international news, those in Wales will get localised news for them, and so on.

Unfortunately, it's difficult to search for specific news items as - as far as I'm aware - BBC iPlayer, doesn't archive news programmes (for general public broadcast, anyway). They are only available on the day of broadcast. Beyond that, items are added to the website (well done, Ian, on finding that, BTW).

You could always scour YouTube and social media sites for local Wales news on and shortly after that date. Could be worthwhile?

Thank you. I had actually seen that clip when it came out so the mention of angel sharks ( never heard of them before) triggered something for me. 

Edited by geogphotos

3 hours ago, geogphotos said:

It might just be on the internet rather than TV. Maybe find a reason to contact BBC Wales to find out if it was in an actual TV programme?

Doesn't this just illustrate the madness of the system we are working in when the agencies have the information and also the self-interest not to share to with contributors! 

And also that tracing these uses could be better paid than the original use!! 

Yes, it seems more an internet news than from TV. But who knows…as you say, only the agency?! I have asked them…let’s see what they have to say.
As you pointed out, this secondary rights would leave a bigger earn than the actual license. Unbelievable and discouraging 🙄

3 hours ago, losdemas said:

Here in Spain in the Public National Television we have got similar territorial broadcast news after the national news. And they actual archive every program, included news, in their website, so you can watch it again in the future.
I have asked the agency and will wait for a response before claiming. Hope to get the information.
Thank you.

3 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Thank you. I had actually seen that clip when it came out so the mention of angel sharks ( never heard of them before) triggered something for me. 

So I was lucky you never heard about angel sharks! 😃
They are so beautiful and strange at the same time. And you can get very close to them if you are careful and don’t bother them. As I did 🙂

14 minutes ago, Stokie said:

Might be a stupid question, but this first part of DACS is what exactly - uses in magazines, TV?

How do we search for uses?

John.

All you can do its try your best to find uses through Google searches, forum sale reports, bookshop/library visits etc For the first part of the DACS claim you need ISBN/ISSN numbers which you enter into the system. Then they will match this with actual uses recorded by licence holders. 

Unfortunately ( most) agencies don't provide the information.

Unless you opted out at the appropriate time when the contract changed a few years ago Alamy will be claiming on your behalf. 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

All you can do its try your best to find uses through Google searches, forum sale reports, bookshop/library visits etc For the first part of the DACS claim you need ISBN/ISSN numbers which you enter into the system. Then they will match this with actual uses recorded by licence holders. 

Unfortunately ( most) agencies don't provide the information.

Unless you opted out at the appropriate time when the contract changed a few years ago Alamy will be claiming on your behalf. 

Thanks for the reply.

I've always done my claim direct, but that only involved sending DACS a spreadsheet of Alamy sales and they did the rest.

Last year I tried finding some uses and got about 3 I think. I know the scheme is going to be more geared towards finding ISBN/ISSN numbers in the future so I will have to try and find more uses.

What system do you use for searching for your images? I remember someone posting something along the lines of "alamy - 'your name'" but i can't recall the exact search term.

John.