DACS Payback 2021

Just logged in to start this and am getting "Current campaign not found", so I'm unable to edit or add anything.  I'm guessing that the system is just not up and running yet. Anyone else tried this morning?

EDIT: Just a delay in their systems.

Edited by losdemas

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

I've just gone through my list and entered them all quite happily into the DACS system. So it is up and working. 

Yes. It's really quite smooth if you keep your new titles updated through the  year, not that I have anything like as many as some, and they all go in in a few minutes.

I'm assuming that the website thing is, as suggested, for references to printed magazines and books that you don't have the credentials for. I don't have any f those.

18 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Yes. It's really quite smooth if you keep your new titles updated through the  year, not that I have anything like as many as some, and they all go in in a few minutes.

I'm assuming that the website thing is, as suggested, for references to printed magazines and books that you don't have the credentials for. I don't have any f those.

I can't see the point of the URL. If you know that then you are able to know the title/ISSN or ISBN. Perhaps I am missing something. 

16 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I can't see the point of the URL. If you know that then you are able to know the title/ISSN or ISBN. Perhaps I am missing something. 

I suppose it could appear without the number, but as you say reading is quite popular nowadays.  Perhaps DACS is trying to save us the effort. Don't quite get it yet.

2 minutes ago, Avpics said:

No matter what first digit number or letter I enter into the ISBN/ISSN box I'm getting an 'Invalid ISBN or ISSN' message. Publication title box not accepting entry.

Come to think of it I had a few of those and one or two other hiccups. At one point I saved what I had done, logged out and back in again and the gremlins had moved off.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, geogphotos said:

Come to think of it I had a few of those and one or two other hiccups. At one point I saved what I had done, logged out and back in again and the gremlins had moved off.

There seems to be an issue. In following your suggestion and logging out I've faced an error 400

10 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

You get an "invalid" message until you type the correct number of digits- it's not that, perchance?

I had a few error messages that weren't really errors. Not sure. It wasn't perfect but better than the OP reported which was not working at all. 

So when I said 'quite happily' maybe 'got there in the end' would have been better. I probably entered circa 70 new ones in total so now have 264 in total. Frustrating that is probably 10% or less of what I could be claiming for with information from agencies. 

I was pleasantly surprised that some of the ones I thought would be US rather than UK were accepted - might have missed out on a few there by not recording the details if they appeared US published. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

You get an "invalid" message until you type the correct number of digits- it's not that, perchance?

Partly, it seems. The fourth publication that I've tried, works. I'll have to contact DACS about the non-working entries because I know that they are correct but it won't let me enter them.

• Thanks 1

So to confirm, the system allowed most of my entries but there's a minor issue with ISBN/ISSN numbers that is worth knowing should anyone else have issues. Carry on entering your other publications rather than assuming there's an issue with the site, unlike what I done!

Email from iSxxxk 'Later this week, we will email you an invitation to sign and return a Payback Authorization Form for the ADAGP (Société des Auteurs dans les Arts Graphiques et Plastiques).' 

Are we missing out on similar 'DACS' schemes around the world?

15 minutes ago, Avpics said:

Email from iSxxxk 'Later this week, we will email you an invitation to sign and return a Payback Authorization Form for the ADAGP (Société des Auteurs dans les Arts Graphiques et Plastiques).' 

You can sign up for ADAGP- it might be worth it if you have a lot of images published in France, and you think it might cover the €15 membership share and £20 for each bank transfer!

20 minutes ago, Avpics said:

At the risk of sounding like a parochial little Britisher I do wonder why our UK scheme shares its revenue with everybody all around the world, while similar schemes around the world seem to exclude us Brits or be very hard to access! The pot of money is after all limited and most of the licences are paid for from taxpayer money through schools, college, libraries and so on.

There I said it! 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

similar schemes around the world seem to exclude us Brits or be very hard to access

They don't and aren't AFAICS.

As per my post, you can sign up for ADAGP if you want to. I imagine the bank charges paid by a non-UK resident to get a DACS payment are much the same.

7 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

our UK scheme shares its revenue with everybody all around the world,

It shares with those who are eligible.

We take our income from licences all over the world, after all.

17 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

At the risk of sounding like a parochial little Britisher I do wonder why our UK scheme shares its revenue with everybody all around the world, while similar schemes around the world seem to exclude us Brits or be very hard to access! The pot of money is after all limited and most of the licences are paid for from taxpayer money through schools, college, libraries and so on.

There I said it! 

Perhaps they want to be perceived as being more of an international organization than a parochial one. It sounds like that here.

22 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

They don't and aren't AFAICS.

As per my post, you can sign up for ADAGP if you want to. I imagine the bank charges paid by a non-UK resident to get a DACS payment are much the same.

It shares with those who are eligible.

We take our income from licences all over the world, after all.

I would be pleased to hear that Alamy is doing this on my behalf in all these other countries and that regular payments were being posted into my account. Not aware that it is happening though. 

11 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Perhaps they want to be perceived as being more of an international organization than a parochial one. It sounds like that here.

"DACS belongs to an international network of sister societies and advocacy organisations that campaign on behalf of creators across the world. We also work closely with organisations across the arts and creative industries."

Surely, internationalism is not a one way arrangement? 

I would be pleased to hear that Alamy is doing this on my behalf in all these other countries and that regular payments were being posted into my account. Not aware that it is happening though. 

I thought you were referring to collecting societies in general. Alamy only claims through DACS.

Edited by spacecadet

2 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I thought you were referring to collecting societies in general. Alamy only claims through DACS.

But why can't Alamy claim in all the countries that have secondary rights schemes and where Alamy license images?

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1

"DACS belongs to an international network of sister societies and advocacy organisations that campaign on behalf of creators across the world. We also work closely with organisations across the arts and creative industries."

Surely, internationalism is not a one way arrangement? 

Those of us who claim direct via DACS get a payment from Bildkunst in Germany. So it's not one way.

5 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

But why can't it claim in all the countries that have schemes and where Alamy license images?

No idea. Perhaps you should ask. But I don't think many countries have an arrangement such as Payback.

Edited by spacecadet

8 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

No idea. Perhaps you should ask. But I don't think many countries have an arrangement such as Payback.

I wonder how it works in other countries - do schools and libraries not have to pay a licence fee for secondary rights uses? 

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

I wonder how it works in other countries - do schools and libraries not have to pay a licence fee for secondary rights uses? 

Canada has a similar organization, but you have to be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident in order to become an affiliate.

Edited by John Mitchell