January 2021 Favourite Uploads

gvallee

Taken on Christmas Eve. 

Town of Seventeen Seventy (1770), Queensland, Australia. Its name comes from the fact that Captain James Cook anchored the Endeavour 3 kms from its coast in October 1770.

2E0GY35.jpg

2E0GY6J.jpg

• Love 4

15 minutes ago, Alan Beastall said:

First signs of snow.

2E13EA9.jpg

Strange how a couple of figures can occupy such a small part of the pic area, and still be the subject. The eye goes straight to them...

Edited by John Morrison
  • Love 1

I have a couple or two images I uploaded yesterday that I would like to put in this post, but they are waiting in QC and by the time they pass it will be February, so I will have to resurrect this post.😐

Allan

Thanks, Cal, John and Mr Standfast. A combination of elements that make the image stand out. The open gate way, the track through the field, the figures silhouetted against the sky but, the main factor being B&W. You are distracted by colour. See below.

2E13EB3.jpg

Two more from the same day. Both shot in colour, but converted to B&W have more impact. Alan

2E13E84.jpg

2E13ED7.jpg

• Love 1
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Alan Beastall said:

Thanks, Cal, John and Mr Standfast. A combination of elements that make the image stand out. The open gate way, the track through the field, the figures silhouetted against the sky but, the main factor being B&W. You are distracted by colour. See below.

2E13EB3.jpg

Two more from the same day. Both shot in colour, but converted to B&W have more impact. Alan

Agreed. Conversion to B&W whenever I've done it is mainly to remove the "distraction" of the colour. It is a really great image, hope it sells.

Here is my contribution, we're still in early Jan but I suspect this will be my fav of the month.

Bolton, England. 2nd Jan 2021. UK Weather. Moses Gate Country Park. A flock of Canada Geese stand on the frozen lake with the one closest to the camera showing curiosity at the falling snow. Credit: Callum Fraser/Alamy Live News Stock Photo

This goose was so cute, I sat and watched it despite being very cold for 30 minutes +. I suspect it was young as it was absolutely fascinated by the falling snow. Submitted as an LN pic at the time, but i've no idea yet if it sold :D

Edited by Cal
  • Love 1

Like many, I've been going back through old files. This image is not really exciting, except when I went to see how many images of this shrimp were on Alamy, I found zero. It's always a nice feeling having the only image of a subject on offer.....if anyone ever wants a shot of this lovely little shrimp of course. 

red-eye-shrimp-exoclimenella-maldivensis-tulamben-bali-indonesia-bali-sea-indian-ocean-2E1B1A6.jpg

• Love 1
  • Like 1

On 05/01/2021 at 13:49, Cal said:

Agreed. Conversion to B&W whenever I've done it is mainly to remove the "distraction" of the colour. It is a really great image, hope it sells.

Here is my contribution, we're still in early Jan but I suspect this will be my fav of the month.

Bolton, England. 2nd Jan 2021. UK Weather. Moses Gate Country Park. A flock of Canada Geese stand on the frozen lake with the one closest to the camera showing curiosity at the falling snow. Credit: Callum Fraser/Alamy Live News Stock Photo

This goose was so cute, I sat and watched it despite being very cold for 30 minutes +. I suspect it was young as it was absolutely fascinated by the falling snow. Submitted as an LN pic at the time, but i've no idea yet if it sold :D

do they hang around all winter for you?  the ones around here seem to have all flown south (no travel restrictions I guess)

Still scanning after all these months. Maybe by the spring or summer I can get back to using my camera again regularly.

In the meantime......

young-boy-wading-or-seimming-in-a-public-swimming-pool-on-a-hot-day-in-summer-2E1DYGH.jpg

• Love 1

12 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

do they hang around all winter for you?  the ones around here seem to have all flown south (no travel restrictions I guess)

Yes, Canada Geese are a permanent fixture on UK waterways, as are the other staples like mallards and mute swans. My guess is it's because the UK is generally warmer than Canada.

• Thanks 1

I stood and watched this honeybee on my Rose of Sharon (Althea) bush for 5-10 minutes. It was so covered with pollen, and for the first time in my life I saw one scraping the pollen into its pollen sacs on it’s legs. It was so totally engrossed in its chore that I was able to get close. It stayed in one place until I finally went back in the house. I should have taken a video that showed what it was doing.

honey-bee-apis-melifera-resting-on-rose-

• Love 2
  • Like 2

As we're under lockdown in the UK again, that means staying home and photographing things at home.... so I had a play with my light tent, photographing some food items that I had recently bought.

a-single-cherry-with-a-bite-taken-out-of-it-showing-the-seed-and-juicy-flesh-inside-isolated-on-a-white-background-2E2181X.jpg

With hindsight, maybe I should have left a bit more blank space to the left of the cherry but I still like this image.

baby-plumb-tomatoes-isolated-on-a-white-background-one-has-been-cut-in-half-showing-the-seeds-inside-2E21840.jpg

Have to balance out the healthy food with something not-so healthy!

a-bar-of-cadburys-dairy-milk-chocolate-partly-unwrapped-2E2182T.jpg

• Love 2

There are some really beautiful and fun images on this thread! They also give me a sense of traveling to distant lands. Some of these remind me what winter looks like as well. 😉

I was super excited to have created this lampshade from a $20 paper IKEA lampshade that I cut into strips. I just pointed the camera at it. It's actually a bright diffuse light, but the camera shutter closed way down so it makes for a fancy photo as well.

Krusning pendant paper lamp shade from IKEA, creatively cut into strips and crumpled for a unique effect. Low budget home decorating idea. Stock Photo

krusning-pendant-paper-lamp-shade-from-ikea-creatively-cut-into-strips-and-crumpled-for-a-unique-effect-low-budget-home-decorating-idea-2E1K6AX.jpg

• Love 2

2 hours ago, Olivier Parent said:

Tikehau (Tuamotu - French Polynesia) : the Pearl Beach resort water bungalows, above and below the surface.

tikehau-pearl-beach-resort-in-french-pol

tikehau-pearl-beach-resort-in-french-pol

tikehau-pearl-beach-fish-life-between-th

Oliviar,

Nice images.  They look even better sitting in the pre New England winter...

Chuck

• Like 1