Is it worth posting older, 2016-2019, editorial photos?

I have a bunch of photos from travels I did between 2016-2019 that I think might be interesting as editorials, but I am not sure if it makes sense

Are people looking for editoril photos looking for just the latest photos?

Or, if they like a photo and it is not of a current event, it doesn't matter?

Edited by Dusko Petrovic
title change, to make it clearer

Yes, I regularly sell older photos. In fact, I just uploaded and keyworded some Italian travel photos from 2016 a few weeks ago and two have sold already:

The only thing I would say is that I actually uploaded these photos a few years ago to Alamy, but never got round to keywording them. I decided I wasn't happy with the editing when I looked at them again so I took them all down and re-edited them.

• Love 1

This year my oldest image licence was for one which was taken on 18th November 2010. Not long after I joined Alamy. Have to admit that I do licence a mix of old and intermediate as well as newer images. The latest one to licence was taken on 20th August this year.

Generally I shoot for stock. Others who shoot live news will get sales the following day if not the same day.

Allan

• Love 1

curious wouldn't this depend of the nature of the Editorial Photos.  Not sure i would upload photos of a from a failed Croatian president candidate that went into oblivion for example. 

One thing for sure, images from that time frame will show a different reality, especially on the Travel scene.  I know i have gone through sets to find some that might illustrate that as a priority.

• Love 1

I joined in 2009 and every year I have sales from all previous years. The only exception is this year- I haven't yet had a sale from 2010.

All were uploaded in the year they were taken, though, but I can't see how that would disqualify travel images. They go out of date eventually, but then they may become archive!

If you count archive, this year I also have sales from 1992 and 1994, and in previous years, back to 1979.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

Just to add that one of my first submissions of older photos was rejected for noise. Worth checking for the ISO used. I tend to keep it to 400 to be on the safe side, though others may differ. Reportage can be higher. 

5 hours ago, zxzoomy said:

Just to add that one of my first submissions of older photos was rejected for noise. Worth checking for the ISO used. I tend to keep it to 400 to be on the safe side, though others may differ. Reportage can be higher. 

If you inspect them at 100% as Alamy recommends before uploading, you’d see the noise. An underexposed image at lower iso that you’ve raised the exposure in post can have as much noise as some higher iso images.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

Just as examples, I have three sales showing so far this month:

AXAHFF  Aerial St Lawrence Seaway circa 1985

BBAHA2  Excel centre London  circa 2010

AMY0UP  Dover Castle  circa 1990

the two older ones are scans from slides The aerial might well put you in hot water these days as we were just doing a sightseeing flight over an international border and above an installation which should be fairly high up any security list these days. note these are A & B prefixes so they've been on Alamy some time.

Edited by Robert M Estall

It's a resounding yes from everyone here including me. I recently had a good dig around and came across a load of stuff from 2008-2010 I had not yet uploaded, from a place far away that I used to live, that really doesn't get photographed much. Some of the things in the photo have changed now but doesn't make them useless. Stock is stock and it can be surprising what sells.

3 hours ago, Cal said:

Stock is stock and it can be surprising what sells.

I licensed an image of a full rubbish skip some time ago. The buyer obviously did not think my image was rubbish. I only took it as the first "Get me going" photo of the day and never expected it to sell.

Allan