Spelings to cheque

geogphotos

2 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Hmm I'm seeing 2.

Which is not that many, I must admit.

wim

ah yes, didn't see the second one within the grooves one.  

but it does remain a fact that you could get an advantage for more common misspelling or misuse of words.  

"Rooves" is an old/archaic alternate plural of roof. My mother was British, and she used to say "rooves", so I find it coming out of my mouth as well. I often put "rooves" in my keywords along with "roofs", thinking that I'm not the only old-fashioned person left out there.

"Roofs is the plural of roof in all varieties of English. Rooves is an old secondary form, and it still appears occasionally by analogy with other irregular plurals such as hooves, but it is not common enough to be considered standard."

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 3
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, geogphotos said:

On Alamy there are 10,912 images for 'Rooves' - no such word in the English language

It's fallen out of use a bit  but it's still a word.

There are 47,531 results for 'sulphur' - I wouldn't want to go through and change them all.

Okay thanks I stand corrected about what is correct!

A frequent typo I make is 'feild' and I am in good company:

A feild of dandelions.
Contributor: National Geographic Image Collection / Alamy Stock Photo 
Image ID: BCE9F2
Edited by geogphotos

I'm no spelling expert but there seems to be a LOT of illiteracy about where people have failed to get the basics right. Your and you're is a big one, misused by a good 50% of people I encounter in typed form. Alot is another one, then peculiarities like people saying "draw" instead of drawer... as if draw is singular for the item making up a chest of drawers.

17 hours ago, Phil Robinson said:

It's fallen out of use a bit  but it's still a word.

There are 47,531 results for 'sulphur' - I wouldn't want to go through and change them all.

Sulphur is the correct British English though? I had to google it to see if I was having a silly moment and in terms of muscle memory typing "sulfur" feels wrong and in fact has just been autocorrected to the ph version.

• Love 1

I have a spelling checker
It came with my PC
It highlights for my review
Mistakes I cannot sea.
I ran this poem thru it
I'm sure your pleased to no
Its letter perfect in it's weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

Edited by Colin Woods
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Colin Woods said:

I have a spelling checker
It came with my PC
It highlights for my review
Mistakes I cannot sea.
I ran this poem thru it
I'm sure your pleased to no
Its letter perfect in it's weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

you should have ran it true it, living in Québec 😉

Reminds me my early days training 16+ youngsters on Word; in the days of the recently introduced wavy red underlining for spelling errors.  On two occasions I watched trainees take a report strewn with spelling errors and carefully correct each one...

,,,,by adding the errors to the dictionary.

At least the wavy lines disappeared 😀

1 hour ago, John Richmond said:

Reminds me my early days training 16+ youngsters on Word; in the days of the recently introduced wavy red underlining for spelling errors.  On two occasions I watched trainees take a report strewn with spelling errors and carefully correct each one...

,,,,by adding the errors to the dictionary.

At least the wavy lines disappeared 😀

:lol: I did that way back. Only to words like a family name, or deliberate “funny” words I would use in an email to a friend or family. Like dum-dum, (Dummy) idjit (idiot) and stuff like that. Usually words to describe me because of dumb things I did.If I thought I’d use them again, I added them to the dictionary.

Edited by Betty LaRue

On 04/10/2020 at 16:30, Cal said:

I'm no spelling expert but there seems to be a LOT of illiteracy about where people have failed to get the basics right. Your and you're is a big one, misused by a good 50% of people I encounter in typed form. Alot is another one, then peculiarities like people saying "draw" instead of drawer... as if draw is singular for the item making up a chest of drawers.

Sulphur is the correct British English though? I had to google it to see if I was having a silly moment and in terms of muscle memory typing "sulfur" feels wrong and in fact has just been autocorrected to the ph version.

It was decreed a few years ago by the chemistry gods - whoever they are - that the official spelling should be with an F, even in British English.

In much the same way that it was decided that Pluto has been demoted from a planet to a cartoon dog.

• Like 1

A recent sale of a local landmark happened only because I'd also included an incorrect - but obvious - misspelling. It's important to spell correctly in tags and captions... but even poor spellers have $$$ to spend! The correct spelling returned 611 pix... the incorrect spelling just 34...

1 hour ago, John Morrison said:

A recent sale of a local landmark happened only because I'd also included an incorrect - but obvious - misspelling. It's important to spell correctly in tags and captions... but even poor spellers have $$$ to spend! The correct spelling returned 611 pix... the incorrect spelling just 34...

Yes including an obvious and known misspelling can make sense - though Alamy doesn't encourage it.

But not having the correct/mainstream spelling of an important 'Tag' is what constitutes the problem - when we make mistakes without realising and end up burying our pics unintentionally.

For example, I often misspell Italy through careless typing - it comes out as Itlay. Also I seem to mess up 'environment' quite often. So I have to watch those.

In starting the thread I thought that people might share common errors so that we could check our own. 

Edit) 540 come up on Alamy for  "Itlay not italy".

Might be worth checking in AIM if you have any.

Edited by geogphotos