Spelings to cheque

geogphotos

18 minutes ago, pazmander said:

As an editor, I’d say the one I correct most frequently is ‘accomodation’. Plenty of occurrences on Alamy, but I’d guess that many of them are deliberate.

42,193 for accomodation not accommodation

Doubt that they are deliberate

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

42,193 for accomodation not accommodation

Doubt that they are deliberate

Think you’re right. Just done a random check on around twenty images tagged with ‘accomodation’. Only one gave the correct spelling as an alternative.

I find a lot of poor gramma, er grammer, er grammar used in the ritten word theas days. Also in the spoocken word two.

Allan

Have to add a pet hate of mine here. When did the use of "ones" become regular as in "Those ones" and "These ones". The use of "ones" in this context is superfluous. Even BBC announcers use this bad grammar. (HA! Got it right this time.)   It used to just be "Those" or "These".

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell

Coming from the Potteries, people often spell Wedgwood as Wedgewood, so I always include the incorrect spelling, and i've sold a few that have only been searched using the incorrect spelling.

Another common one is Ordinance Survey instead of Ordnance Survey.

John.

• Like 1

Some mistakes are gaining ground; in a few years they won’t be regarded as mistakes at all…

The proof is in the pudding… I could of danced all night… Damp squid… And the new normal spelling for ‘definitely’ seems to be ‘defiantly’.

Of course, it’s all epidemic now.

While we’re talking about words… here’s a little joke. What do John the Baptist and Winnie the Pooh have in common?

33 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Some mistakes are gaining ground; in a few years they won’t be regarded as mistakes at all…

The proof is in the pudding… I could of danced all night… Damp squid… And the new normal spelling for ‘definitely’ seems to be ‘defiantly’.

Of course, it’s all epidemic now.

While we’re talking about words… here’s a little joke. What do John the Baptist and Winnie the Pooh have in common?

They share a middle name?

Edited by Phil Robinson

5 minutes ago, Stokie said:

.........I think he went to school with the Scottish cloak room attendant: Angus McCoatup.

Not to mention Sean D'Olier who became an electrician, and Rick O' Shea the famous marksman...

Phil

Around these parts we say 'conner' for can't. Such as, "sorry duck, I conner do that" translated as "sorry my friend, I can't do that".

A friend christened their son Conner: and their surname is Cope - that always make me chuckle! 😁

John.

14 hours ago, Stokie said:

Coming from the Potteries, people often spell Wedgwood as Wedgewood

And just to confuse matters further, the Bridgewater Canal is not in Bridgwater.

Alan

On 06/10/2020 at 13:34, geogphotos said:

Yes including an obvious and known misspelling can make sense - though Alamy doesn't encourage it.

But not having the correct/mainstream spelling of an important 'Tag' is what constitutes the problem - when we make mistakes without realising and end up burying our pics unintentionally.

For example, I often misspell Italy through careless typing - it comes out as Itlay. Also I seem to mess up 'environment' quite often. So I have to watch those.

In starting the thread I thought that people might share common errors so that we could check our own. 

Edit) 540 come up on Alamy for  "Itlay not italy".

Might be worth checking in AIM if you have any.

Even worse, I often type ‘Scoltand’. Have to check every now and again.

6 hours ago, Sally said:

Even worse, I often type ‘Scoltand’. Have to check every now and again.

Scoltand! I've heard of that place but can't remember where at the moment but I am sure it is in the northern hemisphere.

Allan

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/10/2020 at 23:18, pazmander said:

As an editor, I’d say the one I correct most frequently is ‘accomodation’. Plenty of occurrences on Alamy, but I’d guess that many of them are deliberate.

I’m staying in some “accomodation” right now... two big expensive signs say so. I wanted to tell reception but I figured I probably would have been about the 1000th person to do so. I find it weird that someone hasn’t thought to check the spelling before making these things, I see it so often.

When I was at school we learnt rooves not roofs... roofs still does not sound right to me.

Edited by Bella

9 hours ago, Vincent Lowe said:

I waited ages for a pedestrain to come along but none did......

Incorrect spelling on a direction sign for pedestrians, spelt 'pedestrains'.  Droylsden, Manchester, England, UK Stock Photo

pedestrain, not pedestrian = 1693 images

I know they have very old trains in the UK, but from before the wheel was invented?

😁

wim

14 hours ago, wiskerke said:

I know they have very old trains in the UK, but from before the wheel was invented?

😁

wim

My daughter was on the last leg of her long cross country train journey home - she has been in the Midlands protesting against the building of HS2 and the destruction of ancient oak woodlands - when the conductor came around to tell the passengers that the train had been cancelled because it had run out of diesel.

Britain in 2020. 

Edited by geogphotos

41 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

My daughter was on the last leg of her long cross country train journey home - she has been in the Midlands protesting against the building of HS2 and the destruction of ancient oak woodlands - when the conductor came around to tell the passengers that the train had been cancelled because it had run out of diesel.

Britain in 2020. 

They should have kept the fireman and the stoker on the train. 😎

wim