I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit this, but for years I've been using a basic talk & text "dumb phone". It has actually served me perfectly well since my mobile needs are uncomplicated, and I don't mind using a computer for online stuff. However, I've finally decided to enter the 21st century and buy a smart phone (Android). Any suggestions for useful photography-related apps that I should be looking at? Some of the plant/flower/insect ID apps discussed in other threads sound pretty cool, so I'll be checking those out for sure. What are your favourite apps for photography, stock and otherwise?

Instagram. There are a number of forum regulars on there (Michael Ventura, Phil Crean to name a couple). I’ve  not used it in a while but intending to start posting again soon. It is mellow and positive. 

Edited by MDM
  • Love 1

I do like Instagram, thanks for the mention Michael.  Instagram is generally apolitical and mostly about sharing photos.  There are some good apps for identifying plants and animals.  One app I found recently, called “Lumos”, it is a sun and moon predictor...I needed something like this recently when scouting a shoot location and I needed to know where the sun would be at a later time of day.  May not be that useful to others.

• Love 1

29 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I do like Instagram, thanks for the mention Michael.  Instagram is generally apolitical and mostly about sharing photos.  There are some good apps for identifying plants and animals.  One app I found recently, called “Lumos”, it is a sun and moon predictor...I needed something like this recently when scouting a shoot location and I needed to know where the sun would be at a later time of day.  May not be that useful to others.

Don't mention it Michael. I lurk occasionally but have not been in the mood for posting so haven't been liking posts. Yours are always very varied and interesting. I must get back on there soon.

• Love 1

Maria J is also on Instagram. She is also around Vancouver and has been posting some nice stuff.

Also Gina Easley in Oregon. 

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1

If you have Creative Cloud, you can download various mobile apps:  Creative Cloud, Lightroom, Photoshop Express, and some other.   Lightroom has its own camera app.   I also have Easy Release.   In the past, I had other programs and have some on my iPad that I don't have on my phone.   I syncronize all phone and iPad photos and export them to be posted from my desktop Lightroom (I don't allow Facebook on my portable devices).   I also have offline Central American maps.  Find the offline maps for your most used area.  Travel: check for public transit maps: Mexico City has a good one that stores the maps on your phone. 

Try the different id apps, and pick what works best for you. 

If you're on Windows as the main machine,  Your Phone Companion app can be useful for transferring photos from the phone to a hard drive, also allows for more comfortable texting if you don't have a portable foldable keyboard.  Other things I've had but don't have now: Focus Assistant Pro, Focus Chart,  Manual Flash Calculator, Image Edge Mobile (Sony only).  It's also helpful, if you have a data plan, to have Wikipedia on the phone.  Helps check the phone id apps.   I do have Image Edge Mobile on my iPad, but it's also available for Android, just not all that practical on a phone screen. 

Make sure GPS is set up.  Taking photos with the phone as index photos for the main camera if you don't have GPS on that can be useful.

I'm another recent convert to recent technology with an Android phone. Sorry can't help with useful apps but the photo quality is pretty good ( if more than a little over processed).  It's a pity that we can't use these shots here on Alamy's mobile phone stream.

The app I use most frequently is Google (is Google an App?) in order to see the weather forecast (UK MET office in my case), Oh and WhatsApp to keep in touch with friends and family.  Life becomes complicated when you have to check e-mail, Facebook and WhatsApp to see what is going on!

• Like 1

Not a photo app as such but the what3words app is very useful for finding your precise location.  The world is divided up into 3m squares and each square has a unique combination of 3 words so by looking at the app you can tell exactly where in the world you are and by telling someone the 3 words, someone else can find you.  The emergency services use the app in the UK.

And it's free!

Very useful question, John, because I'm in exactly the same situation - not through choice but because Virgin have just upgraded their PAYG SIMs and they no longer work on steam phones. I shall be reading this thread with interest. I had already noted what3words as a useful app to start with, as Sue points out.

Alan

Another fan of TPE, but also. A compass, a weather app (e.g. Accuweather, Netweather radar), tide times (if you live near the coast), a raw viewer/converter e.g. RawDroid Pro, and whatever apps exist for triggering your camera (Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc.) remotely.

Edited by Russell

i know people have said Instagram, but doing  what is happening on the street I have found Twitter really useful when i'm about to see if there is anything happening around, i have a few searches.  Also after taking some images, including people i have been able to use it to identify people, and new spots.  (that said i hate twitter's toxic content)

if you don't have data or connection always on the go MAPS.ME is a great map application, you download the area when you are connected (home, wifi) and then you can access maps offline.  Was great on the road...  

Not directly related to photography but a good English to foreign language dictionary on a phone is very useful when travelling (remember what that is?). I have full size English-Spanish and English-French dictionaries on my phone and there are various other language learning apps as well. 

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, MDM said:

Not directly related to photography but a good English to foreign language dictionary on a phone is very useful when travelling (remember what that is?). I have full size English-Spanish and English-French dictionaries on my phone and there are various other language learning apps as well. 

agree. i would add basic Google translate to the list.  Last year in Ukraine i was able to get info from the sign to tell me the parade of a folk festival actually started 2 blocks from where i thought it did 😉 

• Love 1

17 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

agree. i would add basic Google translate to the list.  Last year in Ukraine i was able to get info from the sign to tell me the parade of a folk festival actually started 2 blocks from where i thought it did 😉 

Yes sure as long as you have internet. 

Also Google Earth. I haven’t used it in ages so maybe all has changed but you could plan out routes on a computer and load them to a phone and/ormap where you have been and correlate later with images snapped on the phone just using the GPS so internet not essential.  Of course there are loads of other GPS apps as well. I am out of touch with developments. 

18 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

i actually download local languages to my phone when on WiFi when in an area for a while, so i don't need connection.  

OK I wasn't aware of that. One for the future. 😀

• Like 1

Snapseed - Photo editing app

Photographers companion - App to find Sun position, northern lights etc. Similar to TPE but obviously the free stuff so limited features.

ProCam X - A version of Camera where you can control Aperture, Shutter speed etc.

Fatlama - Peer to Peer lending / borrowing Photography related gadgets.

2 hours ago, MDM said:

I just point my phone to a page or a sign. Google Translate does the rest. Worked in Japan. Haven't been to other countries lately where I don't understand the script or language.

Speaking is on a different level though. 😕

wim