5 hours ago, wiskerke said:

I just point my phone to a page or a sign. Google Translate does the rest. Worked in Japan. Haven't been to other countries lately where I don't understand the script or language.

Speaking is on a different level though. 😕

wim

5 hours ago, Gnans said:

Same applies to Google maps as well where you can download any mapped area.

OK. Thanks guys. Clearly I have some stuff to catch up on if I ever get out of this place again. I’ve only been to Spain in recent years and I can understand enough Spanish to get by. I spent some time in Holland back in the 70s and started to learn a bit of Dutch but I could never practise it as everyone spoke English back whenever I tried. 

Just thought of another app that I use, a photo resizer. The phone produces big photo files and there doesn't appear to be any mechanism built in for downsizing to a reasonable size for web use, or for mailing to friends etc. I use a freeware app that is contaminated by adverts, but I can put up with that as it is rarely used. Sorry can't remember the name.

On 31/08/2020 at 14:14, MDM said:

Maria J is also on Instagram. She is also around Vancouver and has been posting some nice stuff.

Also Gina Easley in Oregon. 

Thank you Michael!  I really enjoy following a variety of inspiring photographers and artists on Instagram.

Other photography related apps I have and use are Snapseed, Photoshop Express, and Mextures.  Also Stockimo.

I find the Sky Guide app is useful for astrophotography, and just fun for stargazing.

Maria

• Thanks 1

On 31/08/2020 at 13:33, Michael Ventura said:

I do like Instagram, thanks for the mention Michael.  Instagram is generally apolitical and mostly about sharing photos.  There are some good apps for identifying plants and animals.  One app I found recently, called “Lumos”, it is a sun and moon predictor...I needed something like this recently when scouting a shoot location and I needed to know where the sun would be at a later time of day.  May not be that useful to others.

Is it similar to Sun & Moon Tracker, which is available for android?

I downloaded an app called Architecture Dictionary from Google Play -- free but lots of annoying ads -- since I enjoy photographing buildings and architectural details. Quite impressed with it so far. No doubt there are other good architecture apps out there.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I downloaded an app called Architecture Dictionary from Google Play -- free but lots of annoying ads -- since I enjoy photographing buildings and architectural details. Quite impressed with it so far. No doubt there are other good architecture apps out there.

thanks,  I'll have a look.