If money was no object

58 minutes ago, Inchiquin said:

I always understood that there was no more visceral hatred than that of a Spurs fan for Arsenal.

Alan

I reserve my visceral hatred for those who really deserve it: certain politicians come to mind but let’s not go there. I love football but don’t normally take it so seriously that it instils feelings of hatred - intense dislike perhaps including the current Spurs manager but hatred is a bit too much 😇

38 minutes ago, GeoffK said:

They are cine lenses and being so fast, produce some great results -  no problem with the camera to mount them on...that I can afford.

Well at least Spurs don't have to borrow money to extend their trophy cabinet - I believe the planning permission hasn't lapsed yet...... ten, twelve years....:)

So are you actually shooting high end commercial video?

Haha. With the new proposed planning laws, permission should not be a problem for anything. Trusting our amazing trophy-winning manager, it should not be long before we build a nice trophy cabinet outside the Emirates stadium. However, I am not alone among Spurs fans who would prefer to watch the fantastic football we played under Pochettino and win loads of games even if we never win a trophy than watch the awful stuff they are playing now. The media called the recent win over Arsenal a Mourinho masterclass. Yawn.  I am seriously thinking of cancelling my Sky subscription they are so boring now. 

13 hours ago, Brian Yarvin said:

If you have a photo business with steady cashflow, there is no existing  gear that too expensive. For a serious still-life studio, that $35,000 medium format digital back isn't out of line, for a guy like me shooting cookbooks, I can swing what I need. My carpenter/contractor neighbor spent more than thirty-five grand on a new truck, everybody thought it was a wise investment.

The steady cash flow is the stumbling block for me.  The pandemic left me with three months of no real income....so any new gear is out of reach for me. Fortunately, I pretty much have all that I need, regarding equipment. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Hmmm... You've obviously never been stuck behind one for mile aftder dreary mile...

I have actually. Once I made the mistake of driving from Portland, Oregon, to San Francisco down the narrow, winding Pacific coast highway, affectionately known (to me, anyway) as "Winnebago Alley", in the middle of summer. I really got to take in the ocean views, which fortunately are very beautiful.

Edited by John Mitchell

7 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

The steady cash flow is the stumbling block for me.  The pandemic left me with three months of no real income....so any new gear is out of reach for me. Fortunately, I pretty much have all that I need, regarding equipment. 

For sure. My wedding business has gone into hibernation until next year. I did my first paid shoot in ages today in fact and it was great to get the gear out and get working again. One thing I did in lockdown was invest in a bit of kit to enable me to add video to my repertoire when I get things going again. I had my Z7 converted to enable me to shoot raw video with the aid of a few extras (Atomos NinjaV and some bits and pieces). Learning new stuff has helped me to keep my head above water in fact as I have been navigating some stormy waters with serious post-Covid-19 after effects. I haven’t gone out on a limb so if  professional video doesn’t work out it won’t be the end of the world (although another dose of Covid-19 or anything else in the lungs might). Now to look at the stuff I shot today. 

Edited by MDM
  • Love 1

I'm going to add a slightly different point of view. I have no idea and interest in what new cameras and gadgets are being produced until I hit a brick wall. 

For example, submitting images to an agency which says that the camera is now borderline ( Canon 5D Mk1). That was 2015. So I bought a Canon 5D MK3 not as a direct response but a considered one. No point travelling etc etc.

I sincerely hope that Bob Croxford is well and thriving. I recall him once telling me something very wise when I posted a comment saying that I couldn't afford a certain level of camera which was one of the first serious Canon DSLRs.

His response was that 'You cannot afford not to'.

But I went ahead and bought the £500 camera - that was 2005 - which was okay for Alamy then but is now on the 'banned' list. 

Edited by geogphotos

Medium format with medium format back, plus lenses, beefier tripod.   If money was no object and stuff.

My most extravagant purchases were a APS-C  24mm Sony/Zeiss at the Nicaraguan price ($1300) and a used Zeiss Batis 18mm ($900ish if I remember correctly, plus shipping and duty and taxes).    Spent part of an inheritance on camera and lighting gear.   The Sony/Zeiss 24mm is my most used lens on the a6000.   The Batis I used today after adding more stuff to my courtyard garden and moving plants around.

I would pay a lot for a self-contained 6cm x 6cm digital back that fits on a HASSELBLAD 500 SERIES camera.

For me the ergonomics of the Hasselblad 500 CM is near perfection and the leaf shutter is great for outdoor flash work.

Otherwise not much I need or want... GFX100? maybe?

• Love 1

22 hours ago, MDM said:

intense dislike perhaps including the current Spurs manager but hatred is a bit too much 😇

I agree with everything you've said about him and his style. But I still hate Arsenal.

Alan

15 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I forgot that one. Those are strictly for "posh" vagabonds.

And wannabes. Campervan has a ring of ordinariness to it so some people would refer to anything with four wheels and a bed as a motorhome. The same kind of people who would wear a captain's hat on a hired narrowboat.

Alan

4 hours ago, dlmphotog said:

I would pay a lot for a self-contained 6cm x 6cm digital back that fits on a HASSELBLAD 500 SERIES camera.

For me the ergonomics of the Hasselblad 500 CM is near perfection and the leaf shutter is great for outdoor flash work.

Any digital backs or other solutions for my old Mamiya 6  (6x6cm) camera ( c 1991) which I keep thinking about using but never do. 

36 minutes ago, Inchiquin said:

And wannabes. Campervan has a ring of ordinariness to it so some people would refer to anything with four wheels and a bed as a motorhome. The same kind of people who would wear a captain's hat on a hired narrowboat.

Alan

Scuse me?? So I'm a posh vagabond and/or wannabe?? A campervan is a small converted van like a Toyota Hiace, Beetle, etc. Anything bigger like Winnebago type is a motorhome. It is a clear category on the vehicle registration. Size matters. And I would never hire a narrowboat...

Edited by gvallee

5 hours ago, dlmphotog said:

Must admit I do regret selling my 1960's 500C, and 150 lens. Made some beautiful portraits with that combo....

So if I could get that again and a digital back that would be on my wishlist.

And for 35mm a Leica M6 with a couple of lenses, and if it really is money no object I'd have the M10 R.

Phil

3 hours ago, gvallee said:

Scuse me?? So I'm a posh vagabond and/or wannabe?? A campervan is a small converted van like a Toyota Hiace, Beetle, etc. Anything bigger like Winnebago type is a motorhome. It is a clear category on the vehicle registration. Size matters. And I would never hire a narrowboat...

I said "Some people", Gen. And I was talking about how the terms are used by such people, not about the officially recognised definitions. I've been a part of the motorised camping fraternity in the past and I can assure you that in the UK the two terms are often used interchangeably, by users and especially by dealers who would like customers to think that a Hiace is a "home" rather than just a "van". I usually referred to my Renault Master conversion as a campervan but it was certainly sold to me as a motorhome. Maybe it's different in Oz ;)
dnaf0260.jpg

Alan

5 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

I agree with everything you've said about him and his style. But I still hate Arsenal.

Alan

I once told my Spurs-supporting barber that I would start supporting Arsenal if Spurs ever got Mourinho as manager. It was an exaggeration needless to say. I've been supporting Spurs since I was a kid and have generally been proud of the way they play. But man are they boring to watch now. Actually painful to watch even when they win.  It has been suggested that they finished the season ok because they were playing in empty stadiums so no pressure from the Spurs fans who expect to watch exciting, attacking football. The low block indeed.

7 hours ago, gvallee said:

You're definitely not a "posh vagabond," Gen. I meant something like this.

Keep on truckin'. 🌏

2 hours ago, MDM said:

I once told my Spurs-supporting barber that I would start supporting Arsenal if Spurs ever got Mourinho as manager. It was an exaggeration needless to say. I've been supporting Spurs since I was a kid and have generally been proud of the way they play. But man are they boring to watch now. Actually painful to watch even when they win.  It has been suggested that they finished the season ok because they were playing in empty stadiums so no pressure from the Spurs fans who expect to watch exciting, attacking football. The low block indeed.

Attacking football....... ya-de-yah-de-yah

Apologies for bogarting the OP, oh you were the OP.... :)

Edited by GeoffK
added north london rivalry ;)

35 minutes ago, GeoffK said:

Attacking football....... ya-de-yah-de-yah

Apologies for bogarting the OP, oh you were the OP.... :)

Yes not bad for a mid table team. And yet another year of Thursday night football rescued. I see they are picking up another Chelsea pensioner today.

I almost never start threads. I am not sure why I even started this one in fact but all forms of poetic licence are permitted here. 

7 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

You're definitely not a "posh vagabond," Gen. I meant something like this.

Keep on truckin'. 🌏

I had seen this video. There is another motorhome where the red sports car fits in the side. 

When we were having our solar system installed, a big rig was there. A family with two very young kids was doing up a gigantic horse truck. Their car fitted inside the back via the horse ramp. It had slide out sides. We visited the inside and it was insane. It could have been the interior of a Chelsea house. They were going to do a Big Lap of Oz for a year and would hopefully resell the truck to some horse people. Pure insanity.

Where we're camped today, our neighbours are a huge converted bus with two aircon units. It's also towing a small car. I love driving and had to take a MR (Middle Rigid) license to drive our minibus but no way I would enjoy travelling in a truck.

11 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

I said "Some people", Gen. And I was talking about how the terms are used by such people, not about the officially recognised definitions. I've been a part of the motorised camping fraternity in the past and I can assure you that in the UK the two terms are often used interchangeably, by users and especially by dealers who would like customers to think that a Hiace is a "home" rather than just a "van". I usually referred to my Renault Master conversion as a campervan but it was certainly sold to me as a motorhome. Maybe it's different in Oz ;)
dnaf0260.jpg

Alan

This is a nice campervan similar to the Ford Transit one I had. No red dust on yours! Our current minibus is also white, or rather was. After plodding along the Outback tracks, it has turned a pale yellow/red colour. I just bought an extended squiggy to wash it. Thing is, there are very very few places in the North Territory allowing car washing because of scarcity of water.

My pride and joy here. Photos of the current trip.

Edited by gvallee