If money was no object

13 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Maybe a Nikkor PC lens since I do shoot some architecture...but not enough to justify the expenses, they are $2,000 to $3,000.   More realistically, a Nikon Z6 or Z7 kit.

A PC lens is one thing I have never used. It would be interesting for sure but I don't do anything that would justify one really. 

Actually at just over £2000 (probably the same in dollars), the Nikon Z6 kit with 24-70 lens and the mount adapter to take older lenses is incredibly good value 😀. With the in-body stabilisation, it becomes a truly light and relatively affordable general purpose bit of kit. 

The Noct lens I mentioned above on the other hand is an outrageously expensive monster which I would never dream of actually buying. The DPR guys suggest that it is Nikon showing off what the Z mount is capable of in terms of lens design.  

Hmm at $8,496.95 / 8999 Euros it is expensive, but not outrageously so.

Even a Fuji GFX 100 is not outrageously expensive at roughly 1000-2000 more.

A Mamiya Leaf Credo with 80 megapixel, but costing 35,000 that's outrageous.

So that's outrageous because by now the competition has come up with a better product that's far cheaper.

Maybe that's why the Nikkor is outrageous too. But the Leica Noctilux at 15,000 is outrageouser.

Hubble is almost surplus, it's service contract running out per June 2021. But a bit impractical.

I think I will go for the 108 megapixel Xiaomi phone. 😂

From 380 to 950 euros it's well within my budget. If I shrink the images to 6 megapixel I may sneak some past QC.

wim

37 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Hmm at $8,496.95 / 8999 Euros it is expensive, but not outrageously so.

Even a Fuji GFX 100 is not outrageously expensive at roughly 1000-2000 more.

A Mamiya Leaf Credo with 80 megapixel, but costing 35,000 that's outrageous.

So that's outrageous because by now the competition has come up with a better product that's far cheaper.

Maybe that's why the Nikkor is outrageous too. But the Leica Noctilux at 15,000 is outrageouser.

Hubble is almost surplus, it's service contract running out per June 2021. But a bit impractical.

I think I will go for the 108 megapixel Xiaomi phone. 😂

From 380 to 950 euros it's well within my budget. If I shrink the images to 6 megapixel I may sneak some past QC.

wim

Yes you are right. I guess outrageous is relative to what one would ever consider worth buying. I got a 50mm 1.8 Z lens and that has unbelievable optical quality as well as being really light and made for mirrorless. The Noct on the other hand - intriguing but I definitely won't be getting one.

38 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

This would be expensive because it would have to be hand made:-

A digital Olympus XA-2

A small classic design, so simple but capable.

Interesting idea. I had Olympus OM SLR gear for years but I never had a compact. I loved the kit but I decided I would never buy anything Olympus again after they abandoned the OM system. 

I would quite like a set (they are available as a set from CVP so are technically one item :)) of Cooke 1.4 lenses for video. Used price (for anybody who's just won the lottery) is about £160k....... don't worry, I'll supply the PL camera.....

MDM.... I won't mention the cup final...

Hmm. I don't lust after kit. But I would like to own the newest Sony RX100/VII or what will come next. I've gotten so comfortable working with these small cameras that I don't want anything else. Would a mobile home be considered a photography item? No no, I mean a camper!

Edited by Ed Rooney

36 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Hmm. I don't lust after kit. But I would like to own the newest Sony RX100/VII or what will come next. I've gotten so comfortable working with these small cameras that I don't want anything else. Would a mobile home be considered a photography item? No no, I mean a camper!

Don't forget that you would also need a horse to pull it around. 🐴

I thought they were usually called "caravans" in England?

If you have a photo business with steady cashflow, there is no existing  gear that too expensive. For a serious still-life studio, that $35,000 medium format digital back isn't out of line, for a guy like me shooting cookbooks, I can swing what I need. My carpenter/contractor neighbor spent more than thirty-five grand on a new truck, everybody thought it was a wise investment.

2 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

This would be expensive because it would have to be hand made:-

A digital Olympus XA-2

A small classic design, so simple but capable.

Those exist. Slightly more boxy and called Sony RX100. 😂

I still have my XA. People have adapted the lens to digital. I know because I have toyed with the idea also.

(1; 2)

wim

2 hours ago, GeoffK said:

I would quite like a set (they are available as a set from CVP so are technically one item :)) of Cooke 1.4 lenses for video. Used price (for anybody who's just won the lottery) is about £160k....... don't worry, I'll supply the PL camera.....

MDM.... I won't mention the cup final...

That is another universe. So if your fairy godmother left a set under your pillow or thereabouts, what would you do with them? 

No problem about the cup final. I would actually prefer Arsenal to Chelsea these days, not by a lot but definitely by a bit. Apparently it means Spurs have to now play some preliminary qualifiers but that is probably a positive as Mourinho will have to give some of the young squad players a chance to play. 

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Only if you turn it into a giant camera? Maybe a studio? 

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Don't forget that you would also need a horse to pull it around. 🐴

I thought they were usually called "caravans" in England?

Campervan I think is the usual term here when it is an all in one with engine etc do can move without being towed. Caravans can be horse or vehicle drawn. Mobile homes are usually large and static (trailers in the US I think from watching American  movies). 

Edited by MDM

2 hours ago, Brian Yarvin said:

If you have a photo business with steady cashflow, there is no existing  gear that too expensive. For a serious still-life studio, that $35,000 medium format digital back isn't out of line, for a guy like me shooting cookbooks, I can swing what I need. My carpenter/contractor neighbor spent more than thirty-five grand on a new truck, everybody thought it was a wise investment.

Yes sure. I was probably thinking more of the sort of item one might buy out of extravagance rather than business necessity, partly inspired by discussion of Leica digital cameras in another thread. I was thinking what one could buy for around the price of a high end Leica body and the Noct lens came to mind as an interesting curiosity. I won’t be buying one.

Edited by MDM

I would love this lens:  Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III USM Lens

Only $12,000 US.

I borrowed this lens once (unaware of its value until I returned it) and it was awesome.  I also used a 2x converter with it, so got some great 800mm shots at the Toronto Zoo.  A bit on the heavy side, but used a monopod with it.

Unlikely this will ever be in my kit bag.

Jill

2 hours ago, MDM said:

Campervan I think is the usual term here when it is an all in one with engine etc do can move without being towed. Caravans can be horse or vehicle drawn. Mobile homes are usually large and static (trailers in the US I think from watching American  movies). 

Camper, camper van, RV (Recreational Vehicle), mobile home are all common names here, but "caravan" sounds so much more romantic.

10 hours ago, MDM said:

Campervan I think is the usual term here when it is an all in one with engine etc do can move without being towed

Motorhome is the more up-market term.

Alan

10 hours ago, MDM said:

I would actually prefer Arsenal to Chelsea these days

I always understood that there was no more visceral hatred than that of a Spurs fan for Arsenal.

Alan

10 hours ago, MDM said:

That is another universe. So if your fairy godmother left a set under your pillow or thereabouts, what would you do with them? 

No problem about the cup final. I would actually prefer Arsenal to Chelsea these days, not by a lot but definitely by a bit. Apparently it means Spurs have to now play some preliminary qualifiers but that is probably a positive as Mourinho will have to give some of the young squad players a chance to play. 

They are cine lenses and being so fast, produce some great results -  no problem with the camera to mount them on...that I can afford.

Well at least Spurs don't have to borrow money to extend their trophy cabinet - I believe the planning permission hasn't lapsed yet...... ten, twelve years....:)