If money was no object

52 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Lovely rig indeed.

BTW, in 2B3BRTE  you have a typo -- "four heel drive", which would mean that you go through a lot of shoes. 😆

I hope not because the price of those super single tyres is eye-watering. Thank you for the heads up!!

1 hour ago, dlmphotog said:

WOW, That is one SWEET ride! Looks vary capable!

Indeed in low 4x4 gear, it would climb a vertical wall. It took us to some incredibly remote and hard to access places.

Unfortunately, there is no ideal vehicle and its 7m length makes it impossible to get to remote narrow tracks or when there is an overhang. 

Recently we were following a very narrow track bordered by trees in the savannah. For some reasons, termites like to build their mound along roads. When there was one in the middle we could go over it, but once it became on the side we could not avoid them. They are very sharp and hard things, bad news for tyres. We had to turn back in at least a 7 point U turn.

It does take us to deserted wilderness and makes us very happy though.

Edited by gvallee

31 minutes ago, IanDavidson said:

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR Telephoto Zoom Lens

Product Code: 3240450K

Approximately £9,500 

I would have purchased this had I not had some doubts about the long term future of Live News. 

I recall you saying you were thinking of a D6 to replace a D5 as well. A very realistic alternative to either with that lens you mention would be a D850 with 70-200 2.8. The huge sensor of the D850 allows for very significant amounts of cropping so a quarter or third frame crop would give pretty much the same reach at very similar quality as the D5 or 6 with the larger and vastly heavier and more expensive lens. For news you would easily get away with a 1/6 crop. It’s a different way of thinking as you don’t see the image properly at the final magnification until it is on a computer and maybe the need to do some quick post work would be a negative for news but otherwise it is all positive including the benefits for the arms and back. 

2 hours ago, MDM said:

I recall you saying you were thinking of a D6 to replace a D5 as well. A very realistic alternative to either with that lens you mention would be a D850 with 70-200 2.8. The huge sensor of the D850 allows for very significant amounts of cropping so a quarter or third frame crop would give pretty much the same reach at very similar quality as the D5 or 6 with the larger and vastly heavier and more expensive lens. For news you would easily get away with a 1/6 crop. It’s a different way of thinking as you don’t see the image properly at the final magnification until it is on a computer and maybe the need to do some quick post work would be a negative for news but otherwise it is all positive including the benefits for the arms and back. 

Thank you, that is a good idea.  I have been thinking of a D850 for a while.  I dropped the idea of the D6 as there is insufficient difference from the D5 to warrant the purchase.  I did see a You Tube video of the D6 with the new lens and the results were stunning, so if I ever win the lottery (and more than the £1.50 I won last week).....

17 minutes ago, IanDavidson said:

Thank you, that is a good idea.  I have been thinking of a D850 for a while.  I dropped the idea of the D6 as there is insufficient difference from the D5 to warrant the purchase.  I did see a You Tube video of the D6 with the new lens and the results were stunning, so if I ever win the lottery (and more than the £1.50 I won last week).....

Yes DSLR technology is really levelling off and it is hard to see how it can get much better. Nikon are obliged to bring out a new top of the range camera every 4 years of course but I think the D850 is the ultimate DSLR. The large sensor is not just a gimmick designed to attract pixel hunters - it has some massive benefits. For example, it allows me to work very fast in high pressure situations such as wedding ceremonies where I don't have to get my in-camera framing perfect. As long as the subject is in focus, I know I will be able to crop in post and get the picture. The AF system is the same or very similar to the D5 as well so, given the huge image size, it is an amazing piece of technology. I don't generally use the medium and small raw options but these are very good as well if you don't want big files. Well worth thinking about for sure.

This idea of cropping in from a high pixel, high quality sensor, from the D850 in this case, and using a shorter lens is very reminiscent of why the Rolleiflex was so widely used in the fifties and early sixties. A fantastic lens and and a huge negative compared to 35mm. How many realise that Elliot Erwitt's famous 'chihauhau' shot is crooped from 6x6, presumably a Rolleiflex as he could hold it near the ground and look down into the finder.

https://www.magnumphotos.com/shop/collections/contact-sheet-prints/contact-sheet-print-chihuahua-new-york-elliott-erwitt/

So, if money is no object I'd like a digital Rolleiflex TLR please, same size, same lens(es).

Edited by Harry Harrison

On 10/08/2020 at 05:43, dlmphotog said:

I would pay a lot for a self-contained 6cm x 6cm digital back that fits on a HASSELBLAD 500 SERIES camera.

For me the ergonomics of the Hasselblad 500 CM is near perfection and the leaf shutter is great for outdoor flash work.

Otherwise not much I need or want... GFX100? maybe?

Here you go! From today's inbox:

https://store.hasselblad.com/products/907x-50c

Just €6,590.00  for 50 megapixel.

But the same Hasselblad crop as always. A sort of 6x6 APS - 43.8 x 32.9 mm.

Let's coin the phrase APS-H here. 😁

Oh no, that's already been taken by Sigma for the SD Quattro. 🤦‍♂️

wim

On 12/08/2020 at 04:39, wiskerke said:

Here you go! From today's inbox:

https://store.hasselblad.com/products/907x-50c

Just €6,590.00  for 50 megapixel.

But the same Hasselblad crop as always. A sort of 6x6 APS - 43.8 x 32.9 mm.

Let's coin the phrase APS-H here. 😁

Oh no, that's already been taken by Sigma for the SD Quattro. 🤦‍♂️

wim

I saw that, can't believe it's not a square format!

The Hasselblad website has a stylish video showing a well off older man (they know their target market) using the camera. I searched the web site but the sensor size was no where to be found.... now I know why.

I love the concept of the 907X 50C but it was a swing and a miss as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully someone will release a 6cm x 6cm back but unfortunately Hasselblad is now owned by the Chinese DJI corp so most likely they are not getting my money anyway. 

2 hours ago, dlmphotog said:

I saw that, can't believe it's not a square format!

The Hasselblad website has a stylish video showing a well off older man (they know their target market) using the camera. I searched the web site but the sensor size was no where to be found.... now I know why.

I love the concept of the 907X 50C but it was a swing and a miss as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully someone will release a 6cm x 6cm back but unfortunately Hasselblad is now owned by the Chinese DJI corp so most likely they are not getting my money anyway. 

When pigs Hasselblads fly!

Oh wait (1; 2; 3 )

Ok when Wallmart starts selling Hasselblads.

Oh wait. (1)

😂

wim

On 10/08/2020 at 18:16, gvallee said:

Indeed in low 4x4 gear, it would climb a vertical wall. It took us to some incredibly remote and hard to access places.

Unfortunately, there is no ideal vehicle and its 7m length makes it impossible to get to remote narrow tracks or when there is an overhang. 

Recently we were following a very narrow track bordered by trees in the savannah. For some reasons, termites like to build their mound along roads. When there was one in the middle we could go over it, but once it became on the side we could not avoid them. They are very sharp and hard things, bad news for tyres. We had to turn back in at least a 7 point U turn.

It does take us to deserted wilderness and makes us very happy though.

I really miss 4-wheeling as we call it. Knowing where the four points of contact are (where the rubber hits the road, dirt, rock), picking your route and the ability to reverse for 1/4 mile with no margin for error, such fun. Always carried pioneer tools and a come-along, because if you didn't get stuck your weren't testing your limits. I learned from my father who had me lock and unlock the manual locking hubs of our 1960's Toyota Landcruiser. Unfortunately the only "4-wheeling" I do now is when I drive on a dirt parking lot...😆

Money no object - a reliable and pin sharp f4 24-105 mm equivalent lens for my Sony A6500. It would have to be a special, as, as far I as can tell, it doesn't exist at present. Nor, I fear is it ever likely to. I get the impression the crop factor Sony series is very much on the back burner, both with Sony and the independent manufacturers. 😟

40 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Money no object - a reliable and pin sharp f4 24-105 mm equivalent lens for my Sony A6500. It would have to be a special, as, as far I as can tell, it doesn't exist at present. Nor, I fear is it ever likely to. I get the impression the crop factor Sony series is very much on the back burner, both with Sony and the independent manufacturers. 😟

That would be a 16 -70mm lens equiv. Have a Look at this Bryan.

Allan

On 09/08/2020 at 02:01, Michael Ventura said:

Maybe a Nikkor PC lenses since I do shoot some architecture...but not enough to justify the expenses, they are $2,000 to $3,000.   More realistically, a Nikon Z6 or Z7 kit.

Michael the Perspective Control lenses are a great tool for architecture...I know you can correct verticals etc in Photoshop, but the lens does it so much better...When i used to shoot Nikon 35mm film way back, i did manage to to own a Nikkor PC 35mm and a Nikkor PC 28mm.I was then shooting new housing and display homes, and they came in handy for general stock shots when you wanted to place the horizon line higher or lower in the frame..

About 10 years ago i bought a Canon TS-E 17mm f/4 L Tilt Shift lens and it is still the widest lens of its kind...Being retired i still like to shoot architectural shots for stock and just love what this lens can do...I need to do more with it and i will, but when i've used it for that taller building when you're in close it is the right lens for the job...I nearly sold it twice lol but i can't part with it..Sure i can do most things with a 16 to 35mm, but this lens is magic and i am very lucky to own it...Nikon have the Nikkor PC 19mm...I hope one comes your way one day, you would do great things with it...

18 minutes ago, William Caram said:

Michael the Perspective Control lenses are a great tool for architecture...I know you can correct verticals etc in Photoshop, but the lens does it so much better...When i used to shoot Nikon 35mm film way back, i did manage to to own a Nikkor PC 35mm and a Nikkor PC 28mm.I was then shooting new housing and display homes, and they came in handy for general stock shots when you wanted to place the horizon line higher or lower in the frame..

I still have my 5x4 kit, and as long as the lens you we're using had sufficient coverage and the bellows were suitable it was great for correcting verticals. 

6 minutes ago, sb photos said:

I still have my 5x4 kit, and as long as the lens you we're using had sufficient coverage and the bellows were suitable it was great for correcting verticals. 

Yes the 5x4 and 10x8 View cameras make easy work for perspective corrections in architecture, i assisted photographers that had the skills to use them on assignments..I never got to use view cameras but took to the 35mm shift lenses...You certainly have much more control  with a view camera...The photographer i assisted used to use both 5x4 sheet film, but also had the 120mm roll film back so he used to shoot with more film economy shooting catalogues still life shoots..5x4 had superb quality and made detailed enlargements...Do you ever use your 5x4 for personal work nowadays ? 

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Tried it thanks Allan, but hugely disappointed.

Sorry Bryan I had forgotten that you had tried that lens a while ago. I agree that the Zeiss lenses are not as good as they are cracked up to be. I once tried a Zeiss lens and found similar problems. It was a wide angle jobbie which made thing worse.

What I was trying to say was that there are lenses out there that you could find would do the job but, sorry, I do not have time to look myself at the moment.

Allan

On 16/08/2020 at 11:40, Bryan said:

Money no object - a reliable and pin sharp f4 24-105 mm equivalent lens for my Sony A6500

You're not going to change from Sony obviously but Fuji do a fairly new 16-80mm f4 for their APS-C cameras, so 24-120mm equivalent. Trouble is reviews I've seen have been a little lukewarm, though nowhere near as poor as those Sony review pictures show. Their long-standing 18-55mm f2.8/4 is very good, and very cheap, especially secondhand. I love my Canon 24-105mm but the combination with the 5D MkII is so much bigger and heavier than the Fuji.

1 hour ago, William Caram said:

Yes the 5x4 and 10x8 View cameras make easy work for perspective corrections in architecture, i assisted photographers that had the skills to use them on assignments..I never got to use view cameras but took to the 35mm shift lenses...You certainly have much more control  with a view camera...The photographer i assisted used to use both 5x4 sheet film, but also had the 120mm roll film back so he used to shoot with more film economy shooting catalogues still life shoots.5x4 had superb quality and made detailed enlargements...Do you ever use your 5x4 for personal work nowadays ? 

I haven't used my 5x4 Toyo 45a field camera for around 10 -12 years. Other kit, a MF Linhof with movements that uses dark slides and sheet film, and older 5x4 studio camera with a bag bellows hasn't been used for even longer. I do regularly brush the dust off the Toyo's backpack, and cock and fire the shutters in my lenses too. Last trip out with it was to Dungeness on the UK's Dorset coast. I may take it out again sometime. The cost of sheet film appears to have gone up. The last film I had was ready loads, long expired. I still have the Epson scanner that takes 5x4.

27 minutes ago, sb photos said:

I haven't used my 5x4 Toyo 45a field camera for around 10 -12 years. Other kit, a MF Linhof with movements that uses dark slides and sheet film, and older 5x4 studio camera with a bag bellows hasn't been used for even longer. I do regularly brush the dust off the Toyo's backpack, and cock and fire the shutters in my lenses too. Last trip out with it was to Dungeness on the UK's Dorset coast. I may take it out again sometime. The cost of sheet film appears to have gone up. The last film I had was ready loads, long expired. I still have the Epson scanner that takes 5x4.

You've got some great gear there, good to hear that you still use and look after it..Also had a look online at the Dungeness area...very picturesque indeed

Edited by William Caram

1 hour ago, Harry Harrison said:

I love my Canon 24-105mm but the combination with the 5D MkII is so much bigger and heavier than the Fuji.

Best combination I've ever owned. I've got other lenses but I reckon I do 95% of my work with this combo. I have a NEX6 and I've tried an X-T1 but they can't come near it for quality. I'm wondering whether more recent Sonys or Fujis have made significant leaps forward since then. But for now my shoulder can just about cope with a bag (with a flexible strap) full of FF DSLR kit. For how long though?

Alan

On 16/08/2020 at 17:43, dlmphotog said:

I really miss 4-wheeling as we call it. Knowing where the four points of contact are (where the rubber hits the road, dirt, rock), picking your route and the ability to reverse for 1/4 mile with no margin for error, such fun. Always carried pioneer tools and a come-along, because if you didn't get stuck your weren't testing your limits. I learned from my father who had me lock and unlock the manual locking hubs of our 1960's Toyota Landcruiser. Unfortunately the only "4-wheeling" I do now is when I drive on a dirt parking lot...😆

I am just back from a 7 hour drive on very corrugated and pot-holed tracks. I'm still shaking and trying to get rid of the dust everywhere. Everything inside the motorhome seems to have travelled on its own accord. I have Bran in my bed, a coffee maker that decided to split parts, a run away stove plus dust all over, particularly in my bed through the back door. But what a trip!! An incredibly wild and pristine place it was. Wouldn't change for anything in the world. It's been a privilege to visit such an area.

• Love 2
  • Like 1