August 2020 Favourite Uploads

gvallee

I will kick off this month's favourites.

Little Corellas (Cacatua pastinator)

2C9MDA1.jpg

2C9MD9X.jpg

Red-tailed Black Cockatoo (Calyptorhynchus banksii)

2C9MD82.jpg

• Love 4

I uploaded more birds today.

Out of curiosity, I checked my stats. In total, I've licensed 232 bird pictures at Alamy. That's why I stick to it even if it's not a prime wanted subject. Now if I were to find a bird with a mask...

2C9R747.jpg

2C9R7AR.jpg

2C9R75H.jpg

• Love 4

17 minutes ago, gvallee said:

2C9R7AR.jpg

Hi there,

Do you know that these taste really really good...

Also, this morning I saw a camper van that looked like yours near Lee Point, was it you?

Have a good day.

29 minutes ago, Regis said:

Hi there,

Do you know that these taste really really good...

Also, this morning I saw a camper van that looked like yours near Lee Point, was it you?

Have a good day.

Yes I know that Aborigenes love them. It's a time of plenty for them when the geese migrate. Or should I say 'used to be' 

Not us at Lee Point, we're in Batchelor. Back to Darwin on Tuesday for a new shock absorber. Must have been one bulldust hole too many... 

You would recognise us from the sticker at the front 'home is where we park it'. And the roos and emus decals on the sides.

Gen

Edited by gvallee

13 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Yes I know that Aborigenes love them. It's a time of plenty for them when the geese migrate. Or should I say 'used to be' 

Not us at Lee Point, we're in Batchelor. Back to Darwin on Tuesday for a new shock absorber. Must have been one bulldust hole too many... 

You would recognise us from the sticker at the front 'home is where we park it'. And the roos and emus decals on the sides.

Gen

I have had some a couple of times... Delicious!

I have sent you an email.

Cheers,

Regis

19 minutes ago, Regis said:

I have had some a couple of times... Delicious!

I have sent you an email.

Cheers,

Regis

Got it. Found it in the spam folder. Glad you said.

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 1

Some older ones that I just uploaded:

2CAKNTP.jpg

A male Blue-tipped Dancer (Argia tibialis) on a dock overlooking a pond in Eakins Park, Fairfax County, Virginia.

2CAKNRW.jpg

Female Eastern Tiger Swallowtail butterfly (Papilio glaucus) feeding on  Wild Bergamot (Monarda fistulosa) in Shenandoah National Park.

2CAKNNC.jpg

Winter at the Rocky Knob Visitor Center, Blue Ridge Parkway milepost 167, also near Mabry Mill and the towns of Floyd and Woolwine.  Couple of good hiking trails start here. 

• Love 1

Always like to find this tiny shrimps (maximum size 15mm) but they are so hard to shoot. They live underneath sea stars, so when I turn the sea star over to search for them, they quickly scurry to the top....which is now the bottom. 

commensal-shrimpzenopontonia-soror-previously-described-as-periclimenes-soror-shrimp-is-commensal-on-sea-stars-and-takes-the-color-of-the-host-2CB5DW3.jpg

• Love 1

The COVID-19 blues has set in, so I've been experimenting with converting some older images to black and white. Here's one I like of the parish church in the old Mexican mining town of Mineral de Pozos. I guess you could call this activity a travel replacement.

dome-of-the-parroquia-san-pedro-church-i

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

Shot these interiors recently for a magazine.  They are interiors of a newly renovated library in downtown Washington DC.  It has not reopened yet so no people in pics.

Reading and research area.

usa-washington-dc-mlk-martin-luther-king-jr-memorial-library-in-chinatown-neighborhood-newly-renovated-reading-and-research-area-with-art-2CBB3AH.jpg

Kids area for reading.

usa-washington-dc-mlk-martin-luther-king-jr-memorial-library-in-chinatown-neighborhood-newly-renovated-childrens-reading-area-with-view-onto-street-2CBB3CK.jpg

Spiral staircase.

usa-washington-dc-mlk-martin-luther-king-jr-memorial-library-in-chinatown-neighborhood-newly-renovated-spiral-staircase-2CBB39W.jpg

• Love 2
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Awww the MLK Library by Mies and now by Mecanoo. Did they build that thing on the roof?

It was a much un-loved building back then.

Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Library

wim

Hi Wim, Yes it looks very much like the rendering you posted.  It was around 100 F out, when I was there, so I made some quick shots of the rooftop.

usa-washington-dc-mlk-martin-luther-king-jr-memorial-library-in-chinatown-neighborhood-newly-renovated-rooftop-garden-terrace-2CBB3CY.jpg

usa-washington-dc-mlk-martin-luther-king-jr-memorial-library-in-chinatown-neighborhood-newly-renovated-evening-exterior-2CBB389.jpg

• Love 1

With official VJ Day anniversary events cancelled I took a punt on a visit to our local cenotaph, to find a family carrying out their own 11am minute's silence. I only shot a couple before standing silently.

southend-on-sea-essex-uk-15th-aug-2020-with-public-vj-day-events-being-cancelled-due-to-the-covid-19-coronavirus-guidelines-a-few-people-visited-the-southend-cenotaph-to-pay-their-respects-at-11am-they-held-an-unofficial-minutes-silence-to-remember-credit-avpicsalamy-live-news-2CBR89W.jpg

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

loon-diver-gavia-immer-calling-on-a-nort

Wilderness call. Composite illustration made from 4 photographs taken over the last 35 years, combined in photoshop.

Style inspired by this top of the page 100 year old illustration with the scenic background here. Story of the artists is inspirational as well

https://www.brainpickings.org/2020/07/30/harriet-helena-scott-butterflies-australia/

• Love 2
  • Like 1

On August 10 a powerful derecho blasted through Iowa and Illinois. It was most severe in the Cedar Rapids, Iowa area and was equivalent to a category 2 hurricane. It’s not getting much attention from the national media and may be unknown outside the US. I drove the 300 or so km from Chicago on Tuesday. Here are a few images.

apartment-building-heavily-damaged-by-de

damage-from-derecho-of-august-10-2020-we

utility-line-blown-down-by-derecho-of-au

wiley-plaza-strip-mall-demolished-by-der

Edit: Here's what Wiley Plaza looked like before the storm. https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/2125-2129-Wiley-Blvd-Cedar-Rapids-IA/16476284/

Edit 2: It now is estimated some areas of Cedar Rapids experienced winds of 140mph/233kph, making the storm equivalent to a Category 4 hurricane.

Edited by TABan
  • Love 2