Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

I was subject to the dark side of NHS today. I taxied out to the Walk-In Centre at the NHS hospital this morning to have my stitches removed. After three and a half hours and no sign as to how much longer it would be, I left and walked downhill for an hour home.

I will remove the stitches myself. 

59 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I look like an IRA bomber on my Irish passport and a dangerous idiot on my US one.

Same to me with my UK driving license 10 years ago (long story). Photo taken in a local bookshop in North London.

Edited by Ognyan Yosifov
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I was subject to the dark side of NHS today. I taxied out to the Walk-In Centre at the NHS hospital this morning to have my stitches removed. After three and a half hours and no sign as to how much longer it would be, I left and walked downhill for an hour home.

Cats will take out their own stitches if given a chance. Be sure to use disinfectant. Does the wound look good. Not red? I suppose you could try a veterinarian. Now I need an emoji   😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Must be something on youtube.  

Then there's this chap:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonid_Rogozov

Take care Edo.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gvallee said:

Ha ha. For my current passport, I had got a set from a Post Office specializing in passport photos. It even says so on the enveloppe. Full frame, white background, no smiling, no jewelry, no glasses, exactly what was needed. Nope. Consulate refused them. They forced me to use their own photographer, for a biggish sum of money of course, and ended up with a completely over-exposed and washed out pic in my passport. Honestly, you can barely distinguish a shape under that shiny laminated cover.

We're now allowed to take our own ON A PHONE🤪 Not in our house, I have my pride. But it would be convenient- the validation is done online in a few moments.

Fortunately I have 5 years to go, so maybe it'll be on the phone, but with decent lighting and background. Also fortunately, I get to use a passport that says "European Union" on the front for a while yet.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Like this? :D it’s still here, you just have to scroll forever past the flags.

No, I mean right here, in the forum.  Now we just have the the trophy, heart, red arrow and green arrow.   I liked the laughing emoji but it was taken away when it was used sarcastically, in a mean way.

5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I did that once when I had cut myself to the bone. Didn't even bother to go and queue in hospital to have them removed. Quick and easy.

• Like 1

I tried removing my 8 stitches when I was in Paris, but the incision was on the back of my leg, just below the knee joint. I would have needed four hands to do the job, instead of just my two. I was finally able to find a nurse affiliated with a private practice before the redness around the incision got too bad. The nurse sat on the floor while I sat on a chair. She removed the stitches, then charged me €10. I was probably in her office less than ten minutes, and it was a relief to have the things out.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Hopefully successful and not too painful, but could you not get an appointment to see a nurse at your local doctor's surgery ? 

I've successfully removed the stitches myself. Basta! 

Thank you all for the medical advice but I knew what to do. My problems: I'm using one hand to work on the other one . . . and I have essential tremor. I may have left one small piece in. I don't think so. The hand feels pretty good. We shall see. 

Edo
  • Love 3
  • Like 1

Drove to my local Stoke Mandeville Hospital this morning to photograph the striking Junior Doctors picket. The strike was to start at 7am, I arrived 8.15am, no sign of it. Photographed the last Junior Doctors picket a little earlier last time they were striking and uploaded from the nearby Asda carpark. Sold one too. This time a dead loss.

1 hour ago, sb photos said:

Drove to my local Stoke Mandeville Hospital this morning to photograph the striking Junior Doctors picket. The strike was to start at 7am, I arrived 8.15am, no sign of it. Photographed the last Junior Doctors picket a little earlier last time they were striking and uploaded from the nearby Asda carpark. Sold one too. This time a dead loss.

In Bristol the strike started at 7 but the picket at 10.  Longest one so far so plenty of time to catch up.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

An unfortunately typical morning in our fair city. I went through our garden and was delighted to startle a robin and then see a sparrow on a fire escape. Then on the corner I saw a drug deal going on. I was waiting at the bus stop on Christopher St. when I was aware of a guy across the street…black guy in sweat pants and hoodie (it's like a uniform for our craziest men)… shouting and waving his arms. Fortunately, he was walking away from me but spotted me just as the bus was arriving. He ran towards me. I was hoping to get on the bus before he reached me. He was shouting that nobody would fight with him. The bus driver was new and, fortunately, had a supervisor standing next to her. She hadn’t come to the curb so I was down in the street and it is a high step. I can usually make it by pulling myself up but I basically fell into the bus. The supervisor was helping me up and telling me to always wait for the bus to kneel. Meanwhile the crazy guy was right behind me also trying to help me up. He came into the bus and sat down. I went up and stood right by the supervisor and told him the guy was chasing me. He said he’d take care of me but, of course, I was very worried that the crazy guy would follow me off the bus. Fortunately, he got off the next time someone was getting on. The supervisor was teaching the poor driver to kneel the bus before opening the door. She’s starting a hard job. I’m home now and put Arnica on the side of my eye bone where I hit my face. I hope I don’t get a black eye. Right now I’m mostly feeling angry. I want to feel safe where I live.

Otherwise, I've been having a happy holiday season and hope you have too. If you come to NYC take care.

Paulette

• Love 1

40 minutes ago, NYCat said:

An unfortunately typical morning in our fair city. I went through our garden and was delighted to startle a robin and then see a sparrow on a fire escape. Then on the corner I saw a drug deal going on. I was waiting at the bus stop on Christopher St. when I was aware of a guy across the street…black guy in sweat pants and hoodie (it's like a uniform for our craziest men)… shouting and waving his arms. Fortunately, he was walking away from me but spotted me just as the bus was arriving. He ran towards me. I was hoping to get on the bus before he reached me. He was shouting that nobody would fight with him. The bus driver was new and, fortunately, had a supervisor standing next to her. She hadn’t come to the curb so I was down in the street and it is a high step. I can usually make it by pulling myself up but I basically fell into the bus. The supervisor was helping me up and telling me to always wait for the bus to kneel. Meanwhile the crazy guy was right behind me also trying to help me up. He came into the bus and sat down. I went up and stood right by the supervisor and told him the guy was chasing me. He said he’d take care of me but, of course, I was very worried that the crazy guy would follow me off the bus. Fortunately, he got off the next time someone was getting on. The supervisor was teaching the poor driver to kneel the bus before opening the door. She’s starting a hard job. I’m home now and put Arnica on the side of my eye bone where I hit my face. I hope I don’t get a black eye. Right now I’m mostly feeling angry. I want to feel safe where I live.

Otherwise, I've been having a happy holiday season and hope you have too. If you come to NYC take care.

Paulette

So sorry to hear about your bad experience. It sounds really scary. Take care, Paulette.

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

An unfortunately typical morning in our fair city. 

Paulette

Good to hear that you have survived relatively unscathed Paulette !  

Regrettably no plans to come to NYC any time soon, but we used to enjoy our visits when our son lived there.  

2 hours ago, NYCat said:

Paulette

So sorry Paulette, sounds awful.  Like a bad dream that comes real.  Glad you are relatively well!

My bad news is that I just broke a molar tooth while having lunch, it sheared right off!  I called my dentist and they will see me in a couple of hours...I was worried that I would have to wait until after New Year's Day.  Now how much they extract from my wallet is a whole other bad thing!! Yikes.

Scary experience Paulette! I would have hated being with a mad man in an enclosed bus. 

Good luck with your molar Michael, I broke a tooth on my first day on Christmas Island. There was very little left of it. I tried not to smile for the whole trip.