Are you all seeing a offer of 30% off for Image Packs when you zoom an image? The discounts are here..  https://www.alamy.com/image-packs.aspx  At least no offers for $3 an image and I'm trying to believe this is an effort to get more people buying more images at Alamy and that it will work. What do you think?

Paulette

Great for Alamy as they get all the money up front.

Not so good for contributors. If one of our images sells under this deal we get 30% less! 

Edited by Thyrsis
removed error

I think that it may depend upon restrictions set upon images.  None of my images are available to licence for PU and the link to the image packs is not available when zooming my images (at least for those I've tried).  Others that are available to licence for PU are available to licence within the image packs.  Those that have other restrictions on their licensing do not have the link to image packs.

If this is the case, then it would appear to be that too broad a brush may have been applied here: not available for PU?  So therefore not available for any image pack discounts?

I hope not. More likely that this is just a limitation on the web development side, such that if any restrictions have been  placed on an image, then the link to the image pack discounts will not display, but that will (hopefully) not restrict the image from being downloaded as part of an image pack within the limitations of that image pack.

Sorry - been typing as I think! - so this may not be that clear.  Hope that you get my drift?

EDIT: this is why you, Paul, LawrensonPhoto may not be seeing the link if you have zoomed your images - they have 'Available for editorial use only' restrictions placed on them.

Edited by losdemas

47 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Most of my images are live news so 'Available for editorial use only' is added automatically

So once they are in the main pool, you can choose (should you so wish) to remove that restriction.  How this affects the inclusion (or otherwise) of your images in the 'new' image packs download option has yet to be clarified.

• Love 1

Yes, I saw it on both RF and RM images that have no PU and/or editorial use only restrictions.

Images packs have been lurking in the background for a long time, and I've seen sales that seem to match the pricing. Putting them upfront like this might increase volume. Not sure why someone would want 25 images for personal use, but I guess you never know. I wonder if this is a "limited time offer" or a permanent fixture.

2 hours ago, losdemas said:

So once they are in the main pool, you can choose (should you so wish) to remove that restriction.  How this affects the inclusion (or otherwise) of your images in the 'new' image packs download option has yet to be clarified.

i just checked, original Live News later changed to remove "'Available for editorial use only" qualify for the packs

1 hour ago, Brasilnut said:

Alamy is officially a microstock agency

How about if we compromise and say it's now an "image pack" agency?

Although, as others have mentioned, the packs are not new. They are just more visible now.

I think that if Alamy becomes a true microstock agency, most of us will "pack" it in so to speak. 🙁

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I think that if Alamy becomes a true microstock agency, most of us will "pack" it in so to speak. 🙁

If Alamy earned me the same as my microstock agency, I'd be delighted!

Still, as image packs are paid for 'up front', we will presumably get getting paid as soon as an image is downloaded by image pack buyers.                                                                                                               

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Cryptoprocta said:

If Alamy earned me the same as my microstock agency, I'd be delighted!

Still, as image packs are paid for 'up front', we will presumably get getting paid as soon as an image is downloaded by image pack buyers.                                                                                                               

Well, I did say "most" of us, not "all". There are already enough micros out there IMO.

You could be right about speedier payment with the packs. But do we know that for sure?

1 minute ago, John Mitchell said:

You could be right about speedier payment with the packs. But do we know that for sure?

No, we dont' know at all, but it would be logical and fair. Alamy's standard justification for the delay in payment doesn't apply to payments upfront.

Edited by Cryptoprocta

15 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

How about if we compromise and say it's now an "image pack" agency?

Although, as others have mentioned, the packs are not new. They are just more visible now.

Yes, they've been around for a while (in only some locations) but now they're pushing them everywhere.

What's the definition of a "microstock" agency? To me it's any agency that offers images at low prices on a subscription model. "Image packs" is just a fancy way of describing "subscriptions".

What is commonly agreed to be "Microstock agencies" do offer subs for much cheaper. I see the least expensive image pack on offer at Alamy is for $8/download (gross) vs  around $1/download on "micros".

Also fair enough that Alamy still offer RM and exclusive at very specific usages. 

Probably unfair to call Alamy a microstock agency and I'll take it back but it's certainly heading that way, but it's not necessarily a bad things, as long as volumes increase. I've said this many times and I'll repeat $100 net earned is still $100 if it's 100 x $1 sale or just 1 x $100 sale. I'll take it either way! :D 

Edited by Brasilnut
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Brasilnut said:

Probably unfair to call Alamy a microstock agency and I'll take it back but it's certainly heading that way, but it's not necessarily a bad things, as long as volumes increase. I've said this many times and I'll repeat $100 net earned is still $100 if it's 100 x $1 sale or just 1 x $100 sale. I'll take it either way! :D 

Unfortunately I find that volume has not increased as prices haven fallen on Alamy ( allowing for increased volume of images).

As far as MS sites go, it's true that most sales are small but I had a $80 net sale from one on Monday. A higher net sale than I have received from Alamy since 2011.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Brasilnut said:

Yes, they've been around for a while (in only some locations) but now they're pushing them everywhere.

What's the definition of a "microstock" agency? To me it's any agency that offers images at low prices on a subscription model. "Image packs" is just a fancy way of describing "subscriptions".

What is commonly agreed to be "Microstock agencies" do offer subs for much cheaper. I see the least expensive image pack on offer at Alamy is for $8/download (gross) vs  around $1/download on "micros".

Also fair enough that Alamy still offer RM and exclusive at very specific usages. 

Something to note is that the image packs do not appear to include magazines and books. Most of my better sales (mid $$ to $$$) fit into those two categories. On true microstock agencies, you would most likely end up with $0.25 or $0.35 for these types of licenses as most sales are via subscriptions. My average price per image this year is about $50 on Alamy.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1
  • Like 2