Post a beautiful nature picture

Betty LaRue

Jabiru Stork at nest with fledglings in the Pantanal, Brazil

The best time to visit the Pantanal is the first two weeks in August when the pink or yellow ipes (trees) are in blossom.

AFRTFT.jpg

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 2

Nature tamed, or at least co-operated with.

Wolf weindorf on the Mosel, Germany. We go to the weinfest every September. This year.................🙁

wolf-and-krv-wine-village-seen-from-mont-royal-on-the-mosel-river-F6BM3B.jpg

Good grief, just spotted the watermark. Bottom left, name and date. This must have slipped through QC- I remember a bunch failing for it (finger trouble on export from LR).
Any thoughts on leaving it, or should I try to reupload without? This one has sold with the watermark.
Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

The Geese have left town and the shorebirds have taken over at the Merced National wildlife refuge in California. 

shorebirds-take-flight-at-the-merced-national-wildlife-refuge-in-the-central-valley-of-california-2BHMPF9.jpg

Black bellied plover, least sandpipers, Wilson's snipe, American Avocet,

shorebirds-take-flight-at-the-merced-national-wildlife-refuge-in-the-central-valley-of-california-2BHMPDY.jpg

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Dave Nelson said:

A Monarch on Joe-Pye weed.

monarch-butterfly-danaus-plexippus-feeding-on-joe-pye-flowers-in-the-K8BJTF.jpg

Dave, great shot. I bought 2 swamp milkweed ‘Cinderella’. One ‘Ice Ballet’ milkweed, a White. 2 ‘Hello Yellow’ milkweeds. 2 Joe Pye ‘Chocolate’....couldn’t find the Joe Pye weed I wanted (I wanted your color) and had to settle for these with white blooms. I tucked 5 ornamental onion plants in the bed to help ward off aphids. 5 days I’ve worked grubbing out roots from the bed, emending the soil and planting. The new plants look good but I’m trashed. (Also planted 4 tomatoes, 2 Lantana and 1 coneflower somewhere else)

Do you foster Monarch eggs or just let them do their thing?

Asking as I crawl on hands and knees to the kitchen for nourishment.....
Betty

35 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Dave, great shot. I bought 2 swamp milkweed ‘Cinderella’. One ‘Ice Ballet’ milkweed, a White. 2 ‘Hello Yellow’ milkweeds. 2 Joe Pye ‘Chocolate’....couldn’t find the Joe Pye weed I wanted (I wanted your color) and had to settle for these with white blooms. I tucked 5 ornamental onion plants in the bed to help ward off aphids. 5 days I’ve worked grubbing out roots from the bed, emending the soil and planting. The new plants look good but I’m trashed. (Also planted 4 tomatoes, 2 Lantana and 1 coneflower somewhere else)

Do you foster Monarch eggs or just let them do their thing?

Asking as I crawl on hands and knees to the kitchen for nourishment.....
Betty

Thanks, Betty.  We don't do anything other than plant the plants and watch what happens.  We have given up on planting vegetables, and just plant flowers that attract the birds and butterflies.  Our growing season is too short for most vegetables, and we don't have much space.

18 hours ago, Dave Nelson said:

Thanks, Betty.  We don't do anything other than plant the plants and watch what happens.  We have given up on planting vegetables, and just plant flowers that attract the birds and butterflies.  Our growing season is too short for most vegetables, and we don't have much space.

Thanks, Dave. You can count yourself responsible for giving me the nudge and particulars to finally plant mine. I’ve wanted to do it since moving to Wichita (three springs here now) but didn’t understand the varieties.

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Wow, Gen, imagine maneuvering that tail through a tree! We have scissortail flycatchers, but tails not that long.

B0MR1P.jpg

Beautiful bird this scissortail flycatcher. Nice marking.

Yes I don't know how those long tailed birds manage to fly, especially if it's windy or through trees.

I traveled on my own all the way to Argentina just to see the bird below. It's an endangered Strange-tailed Tyrant (Alectrurus risora), fairly uncommon.

There were no car hire available there as it's a fairly remote area. So I got a local with a diesel truck to drive me around.

I would wind the window down and use it for support for my 500mm. Unfortunately, the truck was shaking like mad, so I asked the driver to turn the engine off. He obliged but after a couple of times, he declined as he was having problems restarting the engine. I didn't come back with many shots but at least I saw it. It was exhilarating.

AN5JRG.jpg 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, gvallee said:

Beautiful bird this scissortail flycatcher. Nice marking.

Yes I don't know how those long tailed birds manage to fly, especially if it's windy or through trees.

I traveled on my own all the way to Argentina just to see the bird below. It's an endangered Strange-tailed Tyrant (Alectrurus risora), fairly uncommon.

There were no car hire available there as it's a fairly remote area. So I got a local with a diesel truck to drive me around.

I would wind the window down and use it for support for my 500mm. Unfortunately, the truck was shaking like mad, so I asked the driver to turn the engine off. He obliged but after a couple of times, he declined as he was having problems restarting the engine. I didn't come back with many shots but at least I saw it. It was exhilarating.

AN5JRG.jpg 

Fantastic! Talk about a treasure hunt paying off. It’s good the truck did manage to start and you weren’t stranded somewhere in the boonies.

About the scissortail flycatcher...they have soft fuzzy feathers on their heads. You take a shot of one, and they always seemed oof or soft to me. I finally realized it wasn’t me, but the bird.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

@Sally R how you identified that is a miracle, but luckily the name of the plant helped?

@Dave Nelson, Stunning shot. The one Monarch i fostered last fall was fascinating to watch when its wings unfolded...so wet looking. It took awhile for them to dry before it could fly. I still can’t figure out why coneflowers are such an attraction. I don’t know where butterflies find nectar in that prickly-looking head.

Edited by Betty LaRue

4 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

@Dave Nelson, Stunning shot. The one Monarch i fostered last fall was fascinating to watch when its wings unfolded...so wet looking. It took awhile for them to dry before it could fly. I still can’t figure out why coneflowers are such an attraction. I don’t know where butterflies find nectar in that prickly-looking head.

Edited 4 hours ago by Betty LaRue

Thanks, Betty.  We have quite a few cone flowers in our garden, along with Monarda, Dame's Rocket, and Phlox.  They all attract butterflies.

Aquiligia. (Grannies bonnet).

similar-to-d8jacy-image-colours-brightened-with-black-background-FWDM60.jpg

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 3
  • Like 1

Yesterday I cycled "Banff Legacy Trail" between Canmore and Banff, then onto gated Lake Minnewanka road.   (For more information about Banff Legacy Trail, click this link to official Parks Canada Site).   Lake Minnewanka is one of busiest spots in Banff vicinity, but now totally deserted and I had it to myself!   Ditched bike, and went for little hike in total solitude before returning back via Two Jack lake road;  total ~50km of cycling and ~4km hiking.   Couple of images:

attachment.php?attachmentid=275388

[Wide Panorama (4 frames, Canon EOS 6D, 24-105L lens at 24mm, F8, ISO 125,  1/160sec exposure, handheld, stitched and post-processed in CS6);  still frozen lake surface, usually ice-free by mid-April. In season there is tourist boat that takes guests for a ride]

attachment.php?attachmentid=275430

[Red Adirondack chairs Parks Canada has been placing on scenic viewpoints throughout National Parks.  Usually  someone sitting here, but now deserted and I had lunch right here;  not too bad for lunchtime view!  This is very sweet photography spot, and I've sold many images taken here, but I always keep coming back for more!]

attachment.php?attachmentid=275452

[Goats are roaming parking lots and reclaiming their space now that humans are away!]

attachment.php?attachmentid=275454

[Beautiful Two Jack lake with distant Rundle Range on Horizon on return]

I am now trying to decide if I should upload any of these to Alamy -- any suggestions? (They are all technically good, except for the goat which was quick snap with Rx100 while I was on bicycle, no I did not flip LOL)

Edited by Autumn Sky
  • Love 2