Post a beautiful nature picture

Betty LaRue

9 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Lovely image. Is it a stitched panno?

I can see the curvature of the Earth in the horizon or is something else causing the effect?

Allan

Thank you Allan!  

Yes it is stitched pano.  Just checked, it was not Rx100 but Canon 6D and 4 frames stitched later in CS6.    It's quite wide and I noticed Earth curvature too.  Always more noticeable when water/ocean on the horizon, than land.   Image hasn't been sharpened as Alamy doesn't want us to do that I think, looks really nice with single unsharp filter pass

Travel photos don't sell now for obvious reasons, but maybe it will later.  I had great time

Edited by Autumn Sky

Gorgeous pictures! The blue Honeycreeper bird, @Gen, is out of this world. The tongue, yet! It must’ve been calling or singing.

Helen, I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a butterfly with green colors!

Edited by Betty LaRue

11 hours ago, R De Marigny said:

Natural world macro - A Green spotted triangle butterfly, Graphium agamemnon settles on peak of a lush green neo-tropical plant leaf Stock Photo

Tailed Jay butterfly /Graphium agamemnon

Helen 

So many great pix - this one stood out because I love the green spots against the green background and I've never seen a butterfly with that coloring - where was it taken? Is it native to the UK? 

EDIT:I posted this as I saw it, before I finished reading through the thread. Then I came across Betty's comment.  It's clear these are not usually seen in the US, at least not on the East Coast nor in the Plains States or the Midwest (Kansas being considered both of the later)

I've purchased many seeds for plants to attract butterflies, so hope I get a bunch. Where I live I tend to see a lot of fritillary's and skippers. Hope planting a butterfly garden encourages others to visit. 

Edited by Marianne
  • Like 1

I had some coreopsis, purple coneflower and a butterfly bush last year that the butterflies flocked to.

i took this Monarch butterfly enjoying a rose of sharon (shrub) bloom in Oklahoma. I’ve planted 4 rose of Sharon bushes since moving here. A pure white, a white with red center, and two pinks, one of them with a slight lavender hue.

See the silhouette of the butterfly in the backlit blossom?

A868HR.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I had some coreopsis, purple coneflower and a butterfly bush last year that the butterflies flocked to.

Echinacea are great for butterflies. I used to have a lot of them - planted from seed many years ago, but they stopped reseeding a few years ago. A state park nearby has a ton of them as you enter so that's where I usually go to look for them - in fact that's where I took the photograph I recently posted. The gardens, along with a Peony Garden, are planted at the entrance to the park, so with social distancing, even when the park is open, I won't be able to stop and take pix there. There are also many wildflowers along the lake - but again since it's surrounded by a hiking path, it will be hard to stop and social distance at the same time, so I'll have to be fast.  The parking lot was full today so you couldn't even enter the park. It's a well-used park but it is rare in normal times for the two very large parking lots to fill up - the main lot usually isn't full even on beautiful Sundays like today. And during the week it's usually fairly empty - I might see 20 people in the course of a couple of hours - but now all the parks are packed - I wonder if it will keep up when this is over. 

I bought some purple coneflower seeds, so maybe they'll last a few years. 

What I thought was a huge planter with a trellis that I ordered weeks ago arrived today. Slightly damaged and much smaller than expected, but the cedar smells wonderful - though it's smaller than anticipated, it is still too big to bother shipping back. I can sand and re-stain the parts that are damaged, and much will be covered with plants. Can't wait until I can start planting outside.  

Edited by Marianne
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

Taking our daily walk through the woods....bit of a long shot but does anyone know what the white flowers/weeds are among the bluebells?

bluebells-in-the-woods-S35DPK.jpg

Alliaria petiolata, hedge garlic.

unless it's really wild and it's real wild garlic Allium ursinum and bluebells.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Gorgeous pictures! The blue Honeycreeper bird, @Gen, is out of this world. The tongue, yet! It must’ve been calling or singing.

Hi Betty there are others not only tropical butterflies, Green hairstreak is one species. Beautiful colours of nature. 

Male Cairns Birdwing butterfly (Ornithoptera euphorion) perched on a leaf in a Cairns backyard, Queensland, Australia - Stock Image

Speaking of butterflies with green colours, here's a Cairns birdwing butterfly in my back yard... from a previous year. I have had no luck this year (the caterpillars ate their host plant down to a stump) but others nearby are doing well! This is a female, the males are even greener.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Marianne said:

So many great pix - this one stood out because I love the green spots against the green background and I've never seen a butterfly with that coloring - where was it taken? Is it native to the UK? 

EDIT:I posted this as I saw it, before I finished reading through the thread. Then I came across Betty's comment.  It's clear these are not usually seen in the US, at least not on the East Coast nor in the Plains States or the Midwest (Kansas being considered both of the later)

I've purchased many seeds for plants to attract butterflies, so hope I get a bunch. Where I live I tend to see a lot of fritillary's and skippers. Hope planting a butterfly garden encourages others to visit. 

Marianne the species is not native to UK, no. It s India, Nepal, Sri Lanka and I think parts of Australia. I spent an entire day inside a butterfly house hot and humid, so had to take extra care of the camera & lens but it was worth it. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, sooth said:

Alliaria petiolata, hedge garlic.

unless it's really wild and it's real wild garlic Allium ursinum and bluebells.

Omg! Wild garlic! Your comment filled my nostrils with scent and my brain with a memory I had long forgotten, that is vaguely relevant to photography. My postdoc supervisor took me caterpillar collecting on the slopes of the Jungfrau in Switzerland in spring/summer, must have been around 2003. He was a Belgian professor who spoke english EXACTLY like Inspector Cluseau (pink panther). The slopes and forested areas were crowded with some kind of wild garlic that smelled incredible as we trudged through it. He was fussing about with the first digital camera ever purchased by our laboratory group, which he had obtained the weekend before, and eventually as an upstart Australian unaware of polite European behaviour I said, here, let me look at it.... as I took it from him he pressed a button in panic, showing the last photo taken, which was of a naked male body surrounded by candles... still in a panic he pressed the button again, showing the next photo, which was clearly of himself and a lady en flagrante surrounded by candles. 

We never spoke of it again and whenever I needed an extension on a work deadline it was given, no questions asked. :)

3 hours ago, Marianne said:

I'm doing the same in my garden creating a wildlife garden. Most of what I plant out is for this purpose.

I dug out a hole and built small pond to attract more wildlife. So let's see how that grows. 

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, LSP said:

Omg! Wild garlic! Your comment filled my nostrils with scent and my brain with a memory I had long forgotten, that is vaguely relevant to photography. My postdoc supervisor took me caterpillar collecting on the slopes of the Jungfrau in Switzerland in spring/summer, must have been around 2003. He was a Belgian professor who spoke english EXACTLY like Inspector Cluseau (pink panther). The slopes and forested areas were crowded with some kind of wild garlic that smelled incredible as we trudged through it. He was fussing about with the first digital camera ever purchased by our laboratory group, which he had obtained the weekend before, and eventually as an upstart Australian unaware of polite European behaviour I said, here, let me look at it.... as I took it from him he pressed a button in panic, showing the last photo taken, which was of a naked male body surrounded by candles... still in a panic he pressed the button again, showing the next photo, which was clearly of himself and a lady en flagrante surrounded by candles. 

We never spoke of it again and whenever I needed an extension on a work deadline it was given, no questions asked. :)

That's so funny 🤣 like a comedy script scene  😂

Edited by R De Marigny
Contextual

3 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

Taking our daily walk through the woods....bit of a long shot but does anyone know what the white flowers/weeds are among the bluebells?

bluebells-in-the-woods-S35DPK.jpg

Yes, hedge or garlic mustard, Alliaria petiolata.  Food plant for orange tip butterflies:

male-orange-tip-butterfly-anthocharis-cardamines-E52RJC.jpg

16 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

A Malachite (Siprotea stelenes) Butterfly from South America

a-malachite-siprotea-stelenes-butterfly-from-south-america-BT1JK3.jpg

This one is native to Britain.

A Green Hairstreak butterfly (Callophrys rubi)

a-green-hairstreak-butterfly-callophrys-rubi-on-pink-flowers-E95BTA.jpg

John.

I was just coming on to say I have never seen a green butterfly in the UK and did not think there were any. Then John shows the Green Hairstreak above.

On investigation there are four others with green in varying degrees.

1. Orange tip. Has green underwings.

2. Brimstone.

3. Green veined white.

4. Dark green fritillary.

Now to start my hunt when I am allowed out to take photos.

Allan

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I was just coming on to say I have never seen a green butterfly in the UK and did not think there were any. Then John shows the Green Hairstreak above.

On investigation there are four others with green in varying degrees.

1. Orange tip. Has green underwings.

2. Brimstone.

3. Green veined white.

4. Dark green fritillary.

Now to start my hunt when I am allowed out to take photos.

Allanorange-tip-butterfly-anthocharis-cardamines-nectering-on-a-cuckooflower-BM4CNB.jpg

Orange Tip

a-common-brimstone-butterfly-gonepteryx-rhamni-england-uk-E95BRH.jpg

Brimstone

two-green-veined-white-pieris-napi-butterflies-mating-on-a-grass-stem-B4KXDY.jpg

Green veined white

dark-green-fritillary-argynnis-aglaja-butterfly-BMYHAA.jpg

Dark Green fritillary.

John.