Post a beautiful nature picture

Betty LaRue

I am now very educated about green butterflies. All of them are beautiful. And they are green, unlike in the world of flowers where the color blue is often some shade of purple. John? Let’s see a true blue flower...

And LSP...😂 You are the first case of silent blackmail I’ve ever known. Funny, funny story!  I’ll bet once seen, you could never unsee it.

Betty

I’m loving the little stories that are being told. We are photographers, but we are people. That’s why when Paulette and I mentioned having pet chickens, that led me into the story about learning to bake as a young girl, and how the treacherous chickens let me down.

When I vacationed in St. Croix, I realized the island was covered in free range chickens. The true islanders revered them. One elderly woman I spoke to, although obviously poor, bought a small amount of chicken feed and went to a park each day to feed them.

So...are these free range chickens domestic animals? Are they “nature wildlife?”

E854KF.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue

25 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I am now very educated about green butterflies. All of them are beautiful. And they are green, unlike in the world of flowers where the color blue is often some shade of purple. John? Let’s see a true blue flower...

Yes, true blue is rarer than purply blue but here's a trio for you, Betty

Blue poppy flowers of Meconopsis 'Lingholm' Stock PhotoSingle flowering stem of the wood forget me not, Myosotis sylvatica, on a white background Stock PhotoBright blue flowers of the Corydalis elata x flexuosa cross, 'Tory MP' Stock Photo

L to R, Meconopsis 'Lingholm', Forget me not, Corydalis flexuosa 'Tory MP'

• Love 1

16 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

Yes, true blue is rarer than purply blue but here's a trio for you, Betty

Blue poppy flowers of Meconopsis 'Lingholm' Stock PhotoSingle flowering stem of the wood forget me not, Myosotis sylvatica, on a white background Stock PhotoBright blue flowers of the Corydalis elata x flexuosa cross, 'Tory MP' Stock Photo

L to R, Meconopsis 'Lingholm', Forget me not, Corydalis flexuosa 'Tory MP'

Stunning! True blue! If anyone had them, it had to be you, John!

Ask, and ye shall receive.

35 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Stunning! True blue! If anyone had them, it had to be you, John!

Ask, and ye shall receive.

We used to have a lovely blue Delphinium in our garden. Sorry no picture but I think it was called "Aurora Blue".

Allan

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

And LSP...😂 You are the first case of silent blackmail I’ve ever known. Funny, funny story!  I’ll bet once seen, you could never unsee it.

Betty

The other (more knowledgeable) John beat me to it! But here are some more true blue flowers.

Love in a mist (Nigella damascena)

close-up-of-a-love-in-a-mist-nigella-damascena-love-in-a-mist-flower-B59RH3.jpg

Blue Salvia

blue-salvia-flowers-symmetrically-placed-on-a-stem-EFED6K.jpg

Blue flowers of an Anemone "Monarch de Caen"

blue-flowers-of-an-anemone-monarch-de-caen-plant-F7WRMW.jpg

1 hour ago, Alan Beastall said:

Betty, this one is for you. name the butterfly. Its in the image.

Alan

2BG1KNN.jpg

Common blue?? Whatever, it’s beautiful.

Edited by Betty LaRue

A partially-leucistic White-throated Magpie-jay on Ometepe Island with Lago Colcibolca/ Lake Nicaragua in the background.  The bird was local famous in birding circles for the mutant color and his tameness and interest in getting humans to feed him.  Continuing in the theme of blue, just not of flowers.

https://c7.alamy.com/comp/W10GTW/a-very-tame-partially-leucistic-white-throated-magpie-jay-eyes-diners-at-a-playa-santo-domingo-restaurant-on-ometepe-island-nicaragua-W10GTW.jpg

Edited by MizBrown

5 hours ago, Alan Beastall said:

Betty, very close but a bit too early for a common blue. Its a Holly Blue. The clue was in the image.

Good try. Alan

You gave me a good clue and it zipped right over my head. All of my skills IDing them failed, too. That’s what I get for bragging.:D

3 hours ago, MizBrown said:

A partially-leucistic White-throated Magpie-jay on Ometepe Island with Lago Colcibolca/ Lake Nicaragua in the background.  The bird was local famous in birding circles for the mutant color and his tameness and interest in getting humans to feed him.  Continuing in the theme of blue, just not of flowers.

https://c7.alamy.com/comp/W10GTW/a-very-tame-partially-leucistic-white-throated-magpie-jay-eyes-diners-at-a-playa-santo-domingo-restaurant-on-ometepe-island-nicaragua-W10GTW.jpg

What a pretty bird with an interesting story. I like Stokie’s blue flowers, too.  I just took some pictures of star of Bethlehem flowers. And a few forget-me-nots.

Edited by Betty LaRue

18 hours ago, R De Marigny said:

I'm doing the same in my garden creating a wildlife garden. Most of what I plant out is for this purpose.

I dug out a hole and built small pond to attract more wildlife. So let's see how that grows. 

Thanks for the info on the butterfly ...

and best of luck with your garden!  Let's hope we both have many opportunities to take photos of our new gardens filled with beautiful plants, butterflies and birds as the weather gets warmer! 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I had some coreopsis, purple coneflower and a butterfly bush last year that the butterflies flocked to.

i took this Monarch butterfly enjoying a rose of sharon (shrub) bloom in Oklahoma. I’ve planted 4 rose of Sharon bushes since moving here. A pure white, a white with red center, and two pinks, one of them with a slight lavender hue.

See the silhouette of the butterfly in the backlit blossom?

A868HR.jpg

Beautiful - love the shadow/silhouette. I'm going to plant a butterfly bush this year, have wanted one for ages. We have a row of spirea on either side of our barbecue pit, and the center two died. It's the perfect spot for a butterfly bush. Then I'm going to dig out part of the area in front of it and plant flowers. Rose of Sharon is also a gorgeous bush but they one would grow too large for the area I'm planning. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marianne said:

Beautiful - love the shadow/silhouette. I'm going to plant a butterfly bush this year, have wanted one for ages. We have a row of spirea on either side of our barbecue pit, and the center two died. It's the perfect spot for a butterfly bush. Then I'm going to dig out part of the area in front of it and plant flowers. Rose of Sharon is also a gorgeous bush but they one would grow too large for the area I'm planning. 

In Oklahoma City, there is a park called Will Rogers park. It used to have a wonderful, large butterfly garden within it. Everywhere were these bushes, planted like hedges, but untrimmed. The white blooms smelled good and they attracted all sorts of butterflies. Swallowtails, skippers, Monarchs, and others. I went there all season long to shoot.
One spring when I went, it was only 10 minutes away, the park officials had razed all those bushes.  Pulled out the trumpet vines and a lot of flowering bushes I didn’t know the names of.

The grounds were handed over to the Iris society. Instead of meandering lovely paths winding through scented, flowering shrubs, with low growing flower beds in front of them, we got flat bed after bed of Irises. So many they were boring. I like iris, but I love butterflies more.

Every spring after that I spent some time stomping around my house thinking of what I was missing from April through October, October being when the big-time Monarch migration happened. Those were the times the bushes had multiple monarchs on them.

The name of the bushes are Abelia x grandiflora.

AFEMPH.jpg

Butterflies like Penta too, like the three amigos here.

B4H0XE.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 3

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Butterflies like Penta too, like the three amigos here.

B4H0XE.jpg

Lovely to see 3 butterflies so close together - great shot of them all looking forward on the colourful flower. It reminded me of this photo - I was photographing another butterfly, turned around and saw these 5 small blue butterflies lined up perfectly.

small-blue-butterflies-cupido-minimus-five-butterflies-close-together-J51K0N.jpg

By the way, you were discussing UK butterflies with green on them earlier in the thread. My avatar photo is one of these - the underside of an orange-tip. It hasn't sold yet, but the one above has.

@Betty LaRue It reminds me of the Joni Mitchell song, Big Yellow Taxi, "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot." (Covered more recently by Counting Crows, for you young 'uns)

Here are some photos from the Columbus Park of Roses, a short 1-mile walk from where my daughter used to live in OhioSociety. Beautiful meandering paths through far more than roses. Too bad the Iris Society didn't follow their lead:

pollen-covered-eastern-carpenter-bee-xylocopavirginica-feeds-on-bee-EY1HR3.jpg

coneflowers-echinacea-on-a-summer-day-in-an-ohio-garden-square-format-EY1HR7.jpg

• Love 1

And here is a blue butterfly,  a Pipevine swallowtail, Battus philenor. This one was captive, taken in NY, and I thought it was exotic, but the East Coast of the US is actually in their range:

pipevine-swallowtail-butterfly-battus-philenor-perched-on-shrub-verbena-CR5HHA.jpg

• Like 1

The Pipevine swallowtail, so pretty,  is found in these parts also. They are the hardest butterfly to photograph unless the light allows a really fast shutter speed. They flutter their wings really fast.

This is what they look like from the side. Taken in my garden.

KBC275.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Johnnie5 said:

Western Pygmy Blue (Brephidium exilis) really tiny 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch

a-western-pygmy-blue-brephidium-exile-butterfly-on-a-phacelia-plant-at-the-san-luis-national-wildlife-refuge-in-the-central-valley-of-california-usa-W97RNA.jpg

Johnnie, I’ll bet that’s about the size of a gray Hairstreak. They are very tiny like that, too. The soft edges on the wings of your butterfly is very pretty. Isn’t it amazing how you don’t really appreciate the beauty of something

So tiny until you see all the enlarged details on the computer? I’ve learned so much through the eye of a camera, too. Especially a macro lens.

2A5MKHC.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Like 1

Black Skimmer (Rynchops nigra) doing what he knows best: skimming the water in search of fish.

It's not uncommon to see skimmers with a broken lower jaw. It happens when they hit a rock in the water.

EJ6KB2.jpg

• Love 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, gvallee said:

Black Skimmer (Rynchops nigra) doing what he knows best: skimming the water in search of fish.

It's not uncommon to see skimmers with a broken lower jaw. It happens when they hit a rock in the water.

EJ6KB2.jpg

They will be developing sonar in the next generation.

Allan

Lovely image and well caught.

• Love 1
  • Like 1