Post a beautiful nature picture

Betty LaRue

Love this thread. Here's one that sold here about a year ago and just this week as a print (POD). I'm so lucky to live close to the Hudson River, it's really beautiful. This was my first night photo shoot with my Sony A7rii. 

sleepy-hollow-new-york-usa-15-february-2018-usa-weather-a-stunning-M4G5N8.jpg

• Love 1

Not a lot of birds in my portfolio but here's a butterfly: Taken with my Olympus, inexpensive 40-150mm lens and a Nikon 4T filter. I love my 90mm macro on my Sony, but this setup has served me well. As is, no image stacking, I like my backgrounds (and sometimes foregrounds) out of focus. If everything was in focus, I think it would be less effective. What do you think? 

backlit-great-spangled-fritillary-butterfly-speyeria-cybele-aka-silverspots-pollinating-a-native-wildflower-a-purple-coneflower-echinacea-purpurea-2AED4FX.jpg

• Love 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Marianne said:

Love this thread. Here's one that sold here about a year ago and just this week as a print (POD). I'm so lucky to live close to the Hudson River, it's really beautiful. This was my first night photo shoot with my Sony A7rii. 

sleepy-hollow-new-york-usa-15-february-2018-usa-weather-a-stunning-M4G5N8.jpg

Gorgeous. Love the deep blues. My favorite time of the day. 2nd is sunrise, which can be so sparkling.

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Marianne said:

Not a lot of birds in my portfolio but here's a butterfly: Taken with my Olympus, inexpensive 40-150mm lens and a Nikon 4T filter. I love my 90mm macro on my Sony, but this setup has served me well. As is, no image stacking, I like my backgrounds (and sometimes foregrounds) out of focus. If everything was in focus, I think it would be less effective. What do you think? 

backlit-great-spangled-fritillary-butterfly-speyeria-cybele-aka-silverspots-pollinating-a-native-wildflower-a-purple-coneflower-echinacea-purpurea-2AED4FX.jpg

I agree. I like oof backgrounds, too.

• Love 1

Thanks Betty. I love shooting during the blue hour, either end of the day. I just had an article about it published recently. https://greatescapepublishing.com/travel-photography/how-to-take-great-photos-at-blue-hour/

The first image isn't mine, and honestly it bugs me since I sent them 5 and don't particularly like the top one they chose, don't know why they didn't use just mine, but they licensed the other 4 from me. Anyway, nice to see my work in use. That's the plan for our work after all. 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Marianne said:

Thanks Betty. I love shooting during the blue hour, either end of the day. I just had an article about it published recently. https://greatescapepublishing.com/travel-photography/how-to-take-great-photos-at-blue-hour/

The first image isn't mine, and honestly it bugs me since I sent them 5 and don't particularly like the top one they chose, don't know why they didn't use just mine, but they licensed the other 4 from me. Anyway, nice to see my work in use. That's the plan for our work after all. 

Cool article! 👍

• Like 1

This image was taken during an especially hot summer. I began noticing honeybees gathering around the birdbath for the first time. Never saw this behavior before or since. I’m not saying they don’t ever drink water, just that they did it in such numbers that the behavior was very noticeable.  I could walk right up without them being concerned. I could watch their bodies swell almost to bursting.

B2KCYW.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

This image was taken during an especially hot summer. I began noticing honeybees gathering around the birdbath for the first time. Never saw this behavior before or since.

I took a bird photography trip to Hungary once. A well known local bird photography owns a large piece of land there with lakes, dry forests, etc, various habitats. He had set up very clever bird hides among these habitats to attract different species of birds. One of them was totally spoilt by the bees of a beekeeper neighbour. Bees swarmed in their hundreds to the drinking trough he had set up at eye level. Birds were being constantly pestered and eventually did not bother to come and drink there. RIP that bird hide.

1 hour ago, Olivier Parent said:

Grizzly bear (ursus arctos horribilis - female) in Denali national Park - Alaska. The arctic tundra turns red during the very short autumn season.

grizzly-bear-ursus-arctos-horribilis-fem

Wow. That is gorgeous. I know the Denali bears are more aggressive than the ones in Katmai that I have photographed. I hope you took great care!

Paulette

• Love 1

This image was taken early January 2020, when COVID-19 was still in the future, and travel around this beautiful planet was reality and beautiful.

panoramic-landscape-scenic-view-of-phi-p

Panoramic View of Phi-Phi Islands in Thailand Andaman Sea.  Spent couple of days in this tropical paradise.  On a second day hiked up to this advertised viewpoint and just chilled out with ice-coffee and beautiful scenery.  It is best to come either early, or late (for sunset) because in mid-day temps are quite high.   Pic was taken with little Sony Rx100

• Love 5

3 hours ago, Autumn Sky said:

This image was taken early January 2020, when COVID-19 was still in the future, and travel around this beautiful planet was reality and beautiful.

panoramic-landscape-scenic-view-of-phi-p

Panoramic View of Phi-Phi Islands in Thailand Andaman Sea.  Spent couple of days in this tropical paradise.  On a second day hiked up to this advertised viewpoint and just chilled out with ice-coffee and beautiful scenery.  It is best to come either early, or late (for sunset) because in mid-day temps are quite high.   Pic was taken with little Sony Rx100

Lovely image. Is it a stitched panno?

I can see the curvature of the Earth in the horizon or is something else causing the effect?

Allan

Second generation Comma butterfly on Prunus Laurel tree

second-generation-comma-butterfly-on-prunus-laurel-tree-milton-cambridge-H2ADKY.jpg

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 1