Post a beautiful nature picture

Betty LaRue

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Beautiful nature? Hmm. I'll spare you all another snap of a hungry Herring Gull.

I like gulls, Ed. Gulls are birds. And I have a love affair with birds. Why else would I put up with one eating my toe? Aaand, shoulder, and hand....the list goes on. I miss Bogie but these days he’s eating another lady. Echo and I are doing just fine.

Edited by Betty LaRue

On 04/05/2020 at 22:03, Olivier Parent said:

Thank you Sally!

As you can see on the last picture above (and the last one below), a few swimmers also enjoy the clear (but quite cool) turquoise waters of the calanques.

The cliffs of Calanque d'en Vau are steep and high, so the sun hits the surface of the water inside the calanque only a few hours a day.

In the heart of winter, the sun does not get high enough in the sky to light the bottom of the calanque.

This is one of my favorite places near Marseille. Here are a few more pictures.

port-miou-in-the-calanques-de-cassis-nat

calanques-de-cassis-national-park-near-m

calanques-de-cassis-national-park-near-m

What a beautiful location, it looks tropical.  Gorgeous photos!

I am not much of a wildlife/nature photographer.  I shot these last weekend, with my Sony RX10 IV, in my state of Maryland, near DC....Any ideas about the type of turtle or what the wild weed flower and insect, on it, is?

usa-maryland-poolesville-mckee-beshers-wildlife-management-area-turtles-on-a-log-covered-in-duckweed-2BN7E30.jpg

flowers-daisey-wildflower-purple-petals-yellow-mid-atlantic-maryland-2BN7E2N.jpg

• Love 2

31 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I am not much of a wildlife/nature photographer.  I shot these last weekend, with my Sony RX10 IV, in my state of Maryland, near DC....Any ideas about the type of turtle or what the wild weed flower and insect, on it, is?

I'm sorry Michael, I would like to help but I don't know. I hope some knowledgable soul can chip in.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

No worries Gen!  I think I may have i.d.'d the flower as "Showy fleabane" but when I looked it up, it says it is native to the Western USA and I am in the east.

Migration?

Allan

Apart from the North American natives we grow as garden plants in the UK I'm no expert on your USA flora but I can see from a quick search that Erigeron philadelphicus, common fleabane, might fit the bill for the plant.  

• Love 2

Michael, your turtle doesn’t look familiar to me. I had a look around, no love. I’m no expert on them but have managed to ID the few I’ve taken shots of, the ones common to my area. Look on Alamy, search term “snapping turtle, USA “. Go from there. Your turtle doesn’t show the beak.
A few of those look similar to yours. We do have snapping turtles around here but it’s been too many years since I fought with one. (The one I hooked while fishing that tried to bite my foot off when I tried to remove the hook).

Betty

Edited by Betty LaRue

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Michael, your turtle doesn’t look familiar to me. I had a look around, no love. I’m no expert on them but have managed to ID the few I’ve taken shots of, the ones common to my area. Look on Alamy, search term “snapping turtle, USA “. Go from there. Your turtle doesn’t show the beak.
A few of those look similar to yours. We do have snapping turtles around here but it’s been too many years since I fought with one. (The one I hooked while fishing that tried to bite my foot off when I tried to remove the hook).

Betty

Thanks Betty. Definitely not a snapping type.  The ones I saw that day were a type of common pond turtle....just don’t know which one.  Some I shot (photographed) had yellow stripes down the neck.  They could be terrapin turtles.  

I should add that I have encountered snapping turtles and you don’t want to mess with one, they can easily take a finger off!

Edited by Michael Ventura

30 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Thanks Betty. Definitely not a snapping type.  The ones I saw that day were a type of common pond turtle....just don’t know which one.  Some I shot (photographed) had yellow stripes down the neck.  They could be terrapin turtles.  

The ones with yellow stripes might be painted turtles. I remember seeing them in rivers and ponds in Quebec. They probably venture down your way as well.

One of my images. Is this your bee, Michael? I detect some shiny green on yours. Augochloropsis Metallica.

B1YB7T.jpgThis is what I’ve seen a lot.

Red-earred slider.

BC2EK4.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Thanks Betty!  I think that is my bee!  As for the turtle, it is close but mine don’t have that red “ear” marking.

Yours doesn’t come with a red hook in its mouth, either! :D 

I was at a nearby lake shooting. 5 miles from my house at the time.  These two old guys were fishing, and I asked if I could take pictures of them. They said yes. The turtle was caught by one of them and I got the shot. This isn’t the turtle catch, though. They had quite the operation going.

BC2F10.jpg

BC2F60.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

Love those b/w mix sliders!

DSC04142.jpg

Above with the kit zoom and below with poor man's macro- the 105 enlarger lens on the BPM bellows from the Illumitran, the setup I use for slide copying. There's a lot of flare, but at f11 or 16 and with this much manipulation you can't tell how crummy it is! Focussing by hand with a lot of extension can be a bit challenging.

DSC04145.jpg

Edited by spacecadet

This one is different. This shows my daughter (left) and me (right) enjoying beautiful nature about 4 years ago. And yes, my ears aren’t level with each other so my sunglasses are always crooked!!! Don’t mind my sloppy pink large pink tee coverup.  So..I’m sloppy. Be thankful you don’t see the swimsuit underneath. GAH!  I had the camera on a near post.

Y’all are welcome, if you’d like, to post something in nature with you included.

F618MP.jpg

• Love 2

Sorry Betty, pictures of me are as rare as hens' teeth (I'm being polite here, I didn't use the equivalent 'quaint' Aussie expression to do with a rocking horse...). Instead, here is Hill Inlet, Whitsunday Islands, Queensland, Australia

FEM1CM.jpg

• Love 1