Post a beautiful nature picture

Betty LaRue

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

Sorry Betty, pictures of me are as rare as hens' teeth (I'm being polite here, I didn't use the equivalent 'quaint' Aussie expression to do with a rocking horse...). Instead, here is Hill Inlet, Whitsunday Islands, Queensland, Australia

Gen, I had to look up your Aussie expression, too funny!  I love regional idioms.  Same for me, when it comes to pictures of me.  It will be tough to convince future generations that I existed 😬.  Much prefer being behind the camera. 

Betty, very nice pic of you and your daughter! Tho I have a pet peeve about taking photos of people with sunglasses on.  Not seeing the eyes takes so much from the photo.  Occasionally I photograph people who wear transition glasses and they can get quite dark outside.  If they insist on wearing them, then I have them put the glasses in their pocket for a while and then I get about 30 sec to a minute before they get too dark.  Having said all that, in your case, the photo looks great and it works for where you! A tropical beach!! Hope it sells!

Edited by Michael Ventura

2 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Gen, I had to look up your Aussie expression, too funny!  I love regional idioms.  Same for me, when it comes to pictures of me.  It will be tough to convince future generations that I existed 😬.  Much prefer being behind the camera. 

Betty, very nice pic of you and your daughter! Tho I have a pet peeve about taking photos of people with sunglasses on.  Not seeing the eyes takes so much from the photo.  Occasionally I photograph people who wear transition glasses and they can get quite dark outside.  If they insist on wearing them, then I have them put the glasses in their pocket for a while and then I get about 30 sec to a minute before they get too dark.  Having said all that, in your case, the photo looks great and it works for where you! A tropical beach!! Hope it sells!

I agree about the eyes. But I have blue-green eyes and I’m virtually blind outside in bright sunlight. Then take the sun bouncing off the sand...forget it.
When a newlywed, my AF husband was stationed on the Mohave desert. We were so poor I couldn’t afford sunglasses. One day I drove 5 miles into town to pick up general delivery mail. The old water mirage was shimmering on the two-lane road, very bright midday sun. I got ocular spasms so bad that tears gushed and the pain was incredible. I was basically blind and barely saw well enough to pull off the road. It took about 10 minutes for the spasms to relax enough for me to drive again. I had our baby in the car so it was scary.

If I’d pulled my glasses off long enough for the beach picture, the squint and frown would have ruined it.
My husband was blue-eyed and he seldom wore sunglasses. My girls are sensitive like I am, also my son.

i developed this high key on purpose for the sun-drenched look.

Edited by Betty LaRue

3 hours ago, gvallee said:

Sorry Betty, pictures of me are as rare as hens' teeth (I'm being polite here, I didn't use the equivalent 'quaint' Aussie expression to do with a rocking horse...). Instead, here is Hill Inlet, Whitsunday Islands, Queensland, Australia

FEM1CM.jpg

😂 ok then!

23 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Gen, I had to look up your Aussie expression, too funny!  I love regional idioms.  

You must be a good detective!! It would not have been ladylike for me to quote it.

• Love 1

Maori wrasse (Cheilinus undulatus), Great Barrier Reef, Queensland, Australia Stock Photo

Maori wrasse on the Great Barrier Reef last week. This fish's name is Wally and he is very social, at least with some people. He has probably been wondering where on earth everyone is (reef tourism has been cancelled for months). I was trying to work on some sciency stuff and had to keep fending him off.

This was taken just under my patio the other day;  was coming back & saw this light.  Had only Rx100 on me, would have been better with big sensor but by the time I ran to get SLR & tripod it was gone.  It is still nice

scenic-sunset-evening-colors-canmore-spr

• Love 2

On 20/05/2020 at 00:47, LSP said:

Maori wrasse (Cheilinus undulatus), Great Barrier Reef, Queensland, Australia Stock Photo

Maori wrasse on the Great Barrier Reef last week. This fish's name is Wally and he is very social, at least with some people. He has probably been wondering where on earth everyone is (reef tourism has been cancelled for months). I was trying to work on some sciency stuff and had to keep fending him off.

I looove Wally!

On 21/05/2020 at 15:46, Autumn Sky said:

This was taken just under my patio the other day;  was coming back & saw this light.  Had only Rx100 on me, would have been better with big sensor but by the time I ran to get SLR & tripod it was gone.  It is still nice

scenic-sunset-evening-colors-canmore-spr

You have this view from your patio? Wow!

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I second Betty - WOW!

You can shelter in place forever and still be living the dream. Simply stunning. Where in Canada on planet Earth are you @Autumn Sky ?

Edit: Found it Alberta. I hope to get up to see the Canadian Rockies one of these days. So much on my bucket list I fear I may not get to now. But perhaps someday I will be able to drive across my country and yours. 

Edited by Marianne

4 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Well,  it is about 1min walk from pedestrian bridge where pic was taken.  This is looking the other way from the bridge:

spring-creek-alpine-village-landscape-an

Building in the middle is "Opera House" and then behind you can see residential complex.  This is how it looks in winter:

log-cabin-night-lights-in-spring-creek-m

This is the view of bridge itself,  right from that "Opera House":

garden-flower-bed-in-green-urban-park-an

If you get it right sunset colors can be amazing.  I lucked out on this one couple of years ago & it still keeps selling with extended licenses  (not on Alamy unfortunately)

sunset-colors-above-policeman-creek-in-t

Can you tell me and that bridge are good friends, LOL.  Speaking of which I am off to see if there is any fish under.

• Love 1

For our American cousins, this is what a robin looks like. We saw this chap dart down from the tree and make like a humming-bird. Here's why- he had a beak full of ex-flying snacks. He missed that one on the right though.

Seen on a long walk in Epping Forest at 0745 this morning, my first for a couple of weeks. Not one for Alamy as I only have the 200 kit zoom and it's a crop as well.

DSC04192-2.jpg

Edited by spacecadet

Love those robins!  We have an abundance of them here in the Mid-Atlantic, worms are so plentiful.  Was going through some of my Caribbean images and I thought this would qualify for nice nature pic.  A blooming flamboyant tree on the island of Nevis.

flamboyant-tree-also-known-as-a-flame-tree-delonix-regia-is-a-species-CTFG8N.jpg

• Love 1

6 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Love those robins!  We have an abundance of them here in the Mid-Atlantic, worms are so plentiful.  Was going through some of my Caribbean images and I thought this would qualify for nice nature pic.  A blooming flamboyant tree on the island of Nevis.

flamboyant-tree-also-known-as-a-flame-tree-delonix-regia-is-a-species-CTFG8N.jpg

I saw these trees in St. Croix!! Really pretty. I didn’t get a shot of one this nice...not sure if I uploaded one even.

I love watching robins hunt for worms. It’s almost like they’re witching for water. I don’t know if they see the earth barely move or what, but all of a sudden they stab hard and come up with a worm.  And I know the worm isn’t on top, because sometimes they stab multiple times and come up with dirt on their beaks along with the worm.

Edited by Betty LaRue

Then, there’s this Kildeer. It has a worm stretched to the snapping point. These birds lay their eggs on the ground, sometimes nestled among a few stones. If anything threatens the nest, they do a broken-wing act to lure the predator away. I can’t stand to think about the eggs or chicks that must be killed. I don’t know how they manage to raise them. Kildeers are usually found near bodies of water. I think they are unusual and beautiful.

AYJ0XW.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

A true robin, an American robin.

Tsst tsst Betty. These are true Robins. Australian Robins 😄

2AP8KX7.jpg

CRJJG3.jpg

FF0ERY.jpg

And to my despair, I haven't got a picture of the pink robin yet.

• Love 2

I love the way the same birds appear around the world in slightly different form or color. The Indian rollers are a more subtle color than the Lilac-breasted rollers in Africa.

Paulette

Sure, sure, Johnnie!! 😄😄
I’ve taken pictures of the Great Egret myself, and it was very dangerous. Especially if I got between it and the fish. 😉

Gen, those are gorgeous birds! But that pink robin is stunning. If I got to see one in person, I could go to my grave happy. Especially if it would linger long enough for me to feast my eyes on it.
I need to paint it. I need to paint it. I need to paint it......

• Love 1

14 hours ago, NYCat said:

I love the way the same birds appear around the world in slightly different form or color. The Indian rollers are a more subtle color than the Lilac-breasted rollers in Africa.

Paulette

And you've gotten to see them, I would imagine.

The only place out of the US I’ve been is to St. Croix twice. And I couldn’t find any wildlife other than mourning doves that hung around, and one heron. There were lots of chickens roaming the island, though. A bird is a bird, and watching the chickens made me happy.

E854KF.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue