Guess the sale price from usage

Hi, 

I just got a sale for usage which is not typical to my portfolio. Probably the first of this kind, and the sale price surprised my (not saying if positively or negatively).

What range (£, ££, £££) would you say one could expect from usage as follows? I will reveal the range later.

Usage: Commercial electronic, Websites, apps, social media and blogs (excludes advertising). Worldwide for 5 years.
Media: Website, app and social media
Image Size: Any size
Start: 03 February 2020
End: 03 February 2025

Thanks

Web usage? Not much, for sure. I would be suprised if you got more than $5 net.
Yet, I wonder why someone would buy a full-res 24-megapixel picture to use it in "websites, apps, social media, and blogs".

Edited by riccarbi
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, gvallee said:

These "websites, apps, social media, and blogs" are troubling me. I am getting more and more of those for very low value.

Yes, would really prefer to be without these. And once used in this way they will spread around very fast on other social media platforms and posts. Can be difficult to get a proper contact address - and Alamy cannot persue misuse if the image has been used on social media as the majority of these won't deal with third party representatives but only the copyright holder. A lot of work involved and often a poor result.

• Love 2

Ok so the estimate from you guys is actually quite a bit lower than I got. Looks like my expectations were too high. It sold for just under $40 and first I thought "oh that'sa nice sale" until I noticed a 5 year period! I understand a sale of $5 for a single  online article , but effectively less that $10/year  for all online commercial use? 

Considering this, I may now give up tracking the use of this image for the next 5 years. 

23 minutes ago, Pietrach said:

Ok so the estimate from you guys is actually quite a bit lower than I got. Looks like my expectations were too high. It sold for just under $40 and first I thought "oh that'sa nice sale" until I noticed a 5 year period! I understand a sale of $5 for a single  online article , but effectively less that $10/year  for all online commercial use? 

Considering this, I may now give up tracking the use of this image for the next 5 years. 

That's far higher than several I've had for that usage.

It's all to do with the discount a buyer has negotiated.

• Love 1

That price is quite high for an online media publication. I am a web magazine publisher and I paid similar sums only for very rare drawing scans from major US museums. $10/15 is what we usually pay for editorial (not breaking-news) pictures we don't do internally.  Of couse, I'm talking about low-res photos for the web.  Yet, a commercial app/website usage would justify a higher price, possibly.

Edited by riccarbi

On 04/02/2020 at 11:31, Pietrach said:

If you're disappointed with that price, you've obviously not sold any images to be used by theculturetrip.com yet!

1 hour ago, John Morrison said:

As you know, he will do "absolutely anything"...

Almost anything other than be photographed being drenched in a milk shake! No problem as it would be editorial.

Edited by sb photos

• 2 weeks later...

Quite strange, I've just got a sale quite similar to yours. Yet, tell the difference!

31 MB
4013 x 2700 pixels
877KB compressed
Editorial website and app multiple use, in perpetuity
gross amount  $3.13

Edited by riccarbi

We've had sales to theculturetrip.com with that "app in perpetuity" through the Novel Use scheme. I opted out of that after two sales at $1.24. I think Novel Use should be more novel. Now those teeny tiny sales to editorial websites come along all too often though so far at least not less than $2.12 for me.  Of course, if through a distributor it drops even lower.

Paulette

Edited by NYCat
  • Love 1

On 04/02/2020 at 07:29, Sally said:

I’ve had similar for a commercial website. The 5 year license is pretty standard isn’t it?

I used to get four years, 2011 and before. Now those listed are as you see, mostly five years. I have many RF that show nothing for period of license. I've never seen in perpetuity on any of my licenses?

I've never seen in perpetuity

Once, only diamonds were forever...

sounds like you've been Culture Tripped.

OK, I got it; published by theculturetrip.com on February 6th.

Edited by riccarbi

I just got a bunch of these $3 in perpetuity yesterday.  Last week has two usages each at $5 non perpetuity; the webpage they were using them had 3 of my images, yet two reported as sales. tried to complain to Big Al about the missing sale, but was told to wait 3 months before reporting the missing sale ($5 maybe $3). I'm not in the novel use scheme. Again hope theculturetrip company goes out of biz within 5 years. They maximized usages of another one of my images on different 9 webpages/lists lol yet not reported as a sale.

Edited by sooth

9 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

sounds like you've been Culture Tripped.

Do you know what I deem wrong, as a publisher, about getting a photo "in perpetuity" for less than what costs me a coffee?
It's not the price, it's not the perpetuity terms.
It's the resolution.
Years ago, photo prices were related to size. You knew that buying a full-res picture would cost you more than buying a 800x600 image. Officially, that's Alamy's commercial model still today.
Yet, a website bought my full-res photo and used its low-res version. They pay exactly the same price, low-res or high-res. Resolution/size does no longer matter.
Is this the messy busines model on which Alamy is based nowadays? Size does not matter, usage time does not matter, price does not matter. The only thing that matters is to sell photos, at any cost. I'm quite disappointed, honestly.

Edited by riccarbi

6 minutes ago, riccarbi said:

Resolution/size does no longer matter.

Yes, it sends entirely the wrong message to buyers. Alamy do seemingly govern download size for certain basic RF options so why not for everything else? James Allsworth from Alamy has apparently been quoted as saying that more and more images are only needed at small resolutions for web use so why not make sure that they can only be used for that by controlling the download size?