Personal projects, side interests, things to do

geogphotos

My photographic sideline is this: http://www.alanwrigley.photography/impsold

My interest in photography took me in this direction: http://www.humblestation.co.uk

Which in turn resulted in this: http://www.rheingoldtrauma.co.uk

So photography has a lot to answer for. But I still make more money from Alamy than any of the others (just).

Alan

• Love 2

2 hours ago, Phil Crean said:

Thanks...I'm hoping to put together an exhibition in the next year.

Phil

All the best with that. I love the pictures you link to Inspiring and fresh.

Edited by geogphotos
typo
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, The Blinking Eye said:

People still use a Steenbeck? That's awesome. I know people who give those away for free.

It's still the only way to look at archive film without spending £20/minute. The ones that are given away are usually the ones that have been neglected for years and need hundreds spent to make them work.

Film schools and archives still tend to have them (although I did get an enquiry recently from the National Film and Television School) but mine is now the only one available for hire in London. In 2017 I even took it to Scotland because there aren't any there at all.

On 09/11/2019 at 11:41, spacecadet said:

Renting out a Steenbeck. It's making me four times my stock income.

See London Steenbeck on Facebook if curious or londonsteenbeck.eu5.org

Oh,  and painting a good piece of the house.

I can remember photographing a Steenbeck editing table, sure it was a 35mm, in the cinema museum at Bletchley Park. This was before the new CEO got rid of them, along with the post office, diplomatic wireless service hut and MK amateur radio society in the run up to developing the site more as a theme park. Shot on a tripod mounted Sony DSC-R1.

• Love 1

22 minutes ago, sb photos said:

I can remember photographing a Steenbeck editing table, sure it was a 35mm, in the cinema museum at Bletchley Park. This was before the new CEO got rid of them, along with the post office, diplomatic wireless service hut and MK amateur radio society in the run up to developing the site more as a theme park. Shot on a tripod mounted Sony DSC-R1.

35mm. machines stayed in use quite a bit longer than 16mm. for effects viewing in feature films until CGI and digital cinema caught up. Fortunately there's still plenty of 16mm left. My latest was 4 or 5 miles of material for a Jackie Stewart documentary.

Mine is used as much as a prop as for actual film viewing- it's been (or will be) in a couple of independent films and was hired for the big BBC series "The Capture", although the director shot the other way and it wasn't seen!

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, gvallee said:

I'm sure it wouldn't suit everyone but this is what I did: sold the house, converted a bus into a 4x4 motorhome and became a Grey Nomad in the wonderful country of Australia. And now:

2A87JDW.jpg

Apart from travelling (but can be combined), I love cooking and collecting rare books on early exploration / Australiana / the Amazon region.

J3XDYA.jpg

CR86W3.jpg

How wonderful! What an adventure.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Lisa said:

I retired at age 55 and now travel with my iPhone, no more heavy cameras.

Link to my ‘Life After Retirement’ photo blog

Enjoyed the blog Lisa, sounds wonderful doing all that travel

Pleased that you enjoyed Bath.

What interesting stories people are sharing!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Mine is used as much as a prop as for actual film viewing- it's been (or will be) in a couple of independent films and was hired for the big BBC series "The Capture", although the director shot the other way and it wasn't seen!

I was present at Harpsden Court during the filming of a Bond Film. A nearby field had umpteen vehicles parked in it, the house grounds had a large portable loo and cafe, yet in the final cut the scene filmed wasn't used. I often wonder how much of a films budget is wasted but I assume that's standard practise in the film industry.

11 hours ago, spacecadet said:

It's still the only way to look at archive film without spending £20/minute. The ones that are given away are usually the ones that have been neglected for years and need hundreds spent to make them work.

Film schools and archives still tend to have them (although I did get an enquiry recently from the National Film and Television School) but mine is now the only one available for hire in London. In 2017 I even took it to Scotland because there aren't any there at all.

I work with archival footage all the time. I use a Moviscop viewer, rewinders and 16mm projectors. I don't edit them though.

Renting out the last remaining Steenbeck sounds like a great gig.

I started a Facebook group for our allotment site, not everyone agreed to join but we have a group of regular contributors and rather more lurkers. It's a great way to share knowledge and warnings of imminent disaster - e.g. rabbits etc. Most posts illustrated with photos, more efficient than words! Interestingly, although they are in a minority on the site, the majority of posts come from the female members.

More generally I just enjoy pratting about with the camera. I generally avoid automation, finding it more satisfying to do most tasks manually. This occasionally leads to failure, e.g when I forget to set the IBIS to the correct focal length, but mostly it works just fine and keeps me happy.

As well as still photography, I get heavily involved in making short films

Here's one of our recent ones - shot on a Digital Bolex.

My “Behind the Scenes” photos - https://kempdigital.co.uk/zed

I did produce and film a documentary about a TB hospital - where I now live...... I managed to get some lottery funding to help make the film, and then created an iBook, which contains some of the footage and archive photographs

https://books.apple.com/gb/book/the-sanatorium/id649226473?mt=11&app=itunes

Send me a message on my Facebook page if you would like a link and password to see the film - https://www.facebook.com/didworthysanatorium/

Jools

• Love 1

I shoot subjects that I can do artistic things to through the use of Photoshop, other software and using textures.

I’ve finally gotten back to dabbling a bit in watercolors that I take pictures of. These mediums are found and sold here...

https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/betty-larue

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 5
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I shoot subjects that I can do artistic things to through the use of Photoshop, other software and using textures.

I’ve finally gotten back to dabbling a bit in watercolors that I take pictures of. These mediums are found and sold here...

Those are really nice Betty!

6 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Hey Betty, I really like your watercolours and oil paintings, they're very good. You're really into nature. Do you have much success selling with Fine Art America? Wow, you've got so many, when do you get time for photography? ;)

Here is my website for my paintings:

http://www.frostsfineart.com/

I don't have too many paintings yet. I gave them away to family and friends for too many years! (sold the odd one here and there too...)

Edited by Steve F
  • Love 1

Stock has always been a side line for us (but has paid for many working holidays!)

When Ian’s commercial career was slowing down he started a ‘vanity project’ that turned into a website selling limited edition prints.

That was in 2002 and it has kept us busy ever since!

https://www.vaprints.co.uk/index.html

• Love 1

On 10/11/2019 at 00:26, gvallee said:

I'm sure it wouldn't suit everyone but this is what I did: sold the house, converted a bus into a 4x4 motorhome and became a Grey Nomad in the wonderful country of Australia.

Well, it suited me. I lived in this miniature motorhome for five years: travelling, writing, taking pictures, getting lost. I only quiit the nomadic life six months ago, but kept the van. As Michel de Montaigne suggested: “One should always have one’s boots on and be ready to leave”...

small-motorhome-romahome-25-parked-by-the-shores-of-wastwater-lake-FWRB8Y.jpg

• Love 3

15 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Well, it suited me. I lived in this miniature motorhome for five years: travelling, writing, taking pictures, getting lost. I only quiit the nomadic life six months ago, but kept the van. As Michel de Montaigne suggested: “One should always have one’s boots on and be ready to leave”...

small-motorhome-romahome-25-parked-by-the-shores-of-wastwater-lake-FWRB8Y.jpg

Brilliant! Nifty little van. So that's where you hung your hat... Did you travel in Europe or UK only? Did you find it easy to wild camp or are they crazy regulations?

We've installed solar panels on our bus, so we're off the grid. What a great feeling!! Totally independent, except for food and fuel of course. We even have Internet access through a dongle in most places.

Currently, we've been staying for a week by a river teeming with birds. Other half goes fishing, I go birding, we open a bottle of cool white wine in the evening and marvel at our lifestyle. We only have to make sure we stay clear from bushfires.

• Love 2

3 hours ago, gvallee said:

Brilliant! Nifty little van. So that's where you hung your hat... Did you travel in Europe or UK only? Did you find it easy to wild camp or are they crazy regulations?

We've installed solar panels on our bus, so we're off the grid. What a great feeling!! Totally independent, except for food and fuel of course. We even have Internet access through a dongle in most places.

Currently, we've been staying for a week by a river teeming with birds. Other half goes fishing, I go birding, we open a bottle of cool white wine in the evening and marvel at our lifestyle. We only have to make sure we stay clear from bushfires.

Yes, I've hung my hat in many different places... though I stuck to UK and Ireland. I 'wild camped' almost every night. After a while I developed a 'sixth sense' about finding a good place to stay; I didn't really think about it. No one seemed to bother an old guy in a small camper. The Romahome is white, which has the strange effect of making the vehicle almost invisible.

I installed a solar panel on the roof, which made a big difference in summer (not so much at this time of the year), and charged up electrical stuff while driving: in order of importance: camera battery, laptop, radio, Kindle, shaver, etc. Those five years were fun!...

• Love 1