Personal projects, side interests, things to do

geogphotos

I wondered what sort of things - photography related - that Alamy contributors get involved in apart from stock. Maybe I am looking for motivation? Maybe we could all do with some motivation from time to time because stock photography seems a bit in the doldrums these days.

I can't say that I am doing anything earth-shattering but I have been buying old slide collections at auction and enjoying looking through them. It is the seed of a project to try and 'rescue' forgotten images from the 1950s-1990s though with all the Orphan Works issues not exactly sure what I can do with them apart from enjoying viewing them. Unfortunately there is someone else at my local auction who seems interested in this and keeps forcing up the prices! Must track him/her down and have a word.

I keep thinking about trying to have a push for print sales but apart from a dabble at Fine Art America haven't really found an interesting option. Photoshelter for me just doesn't work for any sales.

What do you do if/when you have a dull moment or need a break from stock photography - could be just for fun or could be a business thing.

Just interested.

Edited by geogphotos

40 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

What do you do if/when you have a dull moment or need a break from stock photography

Build and sail radio control scale model boats.  Used to be RC model aeroplanes but I find it easier to operate in 2D than 3D these days.

But I don't think this is what you were meaning was it?

Allan

• Like 1

Some photography commercial work, housing new builds, renovations, head shots, a few weddings as second shooter. I rarely shoot for pleasure these days other than some band photography. All fitted in while contracting in Apple computer servicing to keep the pennies rolling in. Since my early teens my two interests have been photography and electronics/amateur radio, I hold a full amateur radio licence. Interested in restoring 1950's -1980's radio related kit, including MOD cast offs. Nothing to do with photography other than documenting the restoration.

Edited by sb photos
  • Like 1

Not sure if this will work so will edit if not.

Link removed - Apologies. Please see screenshot in post below.

These are some of the slides I bought and scanned. I uploaded them, actually one or tow sold, before I realised that there was the big COPYRIGHT question that I had just forgotten all about. This was a long time ago.

There is even a picture of The Beatles on the their Magical Mystery Tour.

Edited by geogphotos

3 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Unfortunately there is someone else at my local auction who seems interested in this and keeps forcing up the prices! Must track him/her down and have a word.

Two words might do the trick...

I've always used pix for illustrated articles and books. Stock was the sideline... until recently...

Another electronics enthusiast here. I have an old Pentium PC loaded up with legacy ports, and it is surrounded by a growing collection of ice cream tubs containing circuitry to interface with motors, switches, LED clusters etc.

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

I've been leaving a bid online lately to save hanging around for hours at the auction .....so don't get to see the blighter. 

Maybe he/she knows you and is just bidding you up.

Allan

4 hours ago, Phil Crean said:

This is where my personal photography has taken me recently:

https://www.philcrean.com/abstract

I've sold a few as prints and am hoping to develop that side further....😉

Phil

Interesting, in camera abstracts. I like them.😀

No I am not going to follow you into that line.😎

Allan

• Love 1

Taking photos of my paintings for my website and selling prints. Some photography for the local vintners (a bit of vineyards and the local landscape, the vintners and their families, and a lot of wine bottle photography). Finally, taking photos of my wife and daughter for fun. I mean for, er, cherished future memories!

Steve

I’ve been staying pretty busy with my assignment photography work but when I have slow periods, I enjoy looking up recipes and spending time in the kitchen.  Not much of a baker, but more enjoy making dishes for dinners.  I also love traveling but that always involves bringing along a camera....I can imagine not!

• Love 1

After another five years of doing assignment photography,  I am launching into scanning old chromes.  Not sure how long I can

sit at the computer, spotting and correcting 20+ year old chromes, but we will see.  I am a photographer and will always be a

photographer, curse?

I am having some issues working with VueScan and wish there was better support for the software.

Mike,

I do most of the cooking and enjoy it.

Chuck

I'm sure it wouldn't suit everyone but this is what I did: sold the house, converted a bus into a 4x4 motorhome and became a Grey Nomad in the wonderful country of Australia. And now:

2A87JDW.jpg

Apart from travelling (but can be combined), I love cooking and collecting rare books on early exploration / Australiana / the Amazon region.

J3XDYA.jpg

CR86W3.jpg

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 2
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Renting out a Steenbeck. It's making me four times my stock income.

See London Steenbeck on Facebook if curious or londonsteenbeck.eu5.org

Oh,  and painting a good piece of the house.

People still use a Steenbeck? That's awesome. I know people who give those away for free.

I make experimental films as part of "live cinema" performances. Images come from found footage vintage industrial and educational films. My friend Cindy and I accompany visuals with soundscapes using voice, violin and the musical saw. Also, I would eventually like to submit some of my more arty photography to print and exhibit - am  interested in the fine art/gallery world.

• Love 4

Growing various Nicaraguan orchids and documenting them (a couple of photos per species went into my Alamy portfolio, but I document each year's blooming cycle on around six different species that I have in my patio.  I also have two cats and a tom kitten visitor whose owner comes looking for him here when he's missing, an American cocker/British cocker cross with about 10% terrier, and a 130 gallon fish tank with F2/F3 (generations from wild caught) convict cichlids.   Have notes for another novel project, and a draft of an article that I need to finish, polish, and send somewhere. 

Have spent time traveling around Nicaragua, latest in September to visit a friend in Waslala out in the north Atlantic autonomous region.  Went with another woman and stayed overnight in the Waslala Pizza hotel run by a Nicaraguan who worked in the states and who gives discounts to people who come to see Andrew, my friend who is recovering from a stroke and pelvic fracture.

Haven't been doing much since having the knee problem, but the friend who went with me to Waslala says she'll assist me in getting out with a camera. 

Edited by MizBrown
More information.
  • Love 2

17 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I've been leaving a bid online lately to save hanging around for hours at the auction .....so don't get to see the blighter. 

I once bid 1750 pounds on a lens by mistake. It was a typo. Was the three longest hours of my life. Got it for just over 200 pounds in the end.