Just as a matter of interest.

I did a check on the position of my BHZ image as it is some time since I did it last.

Very disappointed to see it near the top of page 8 (out of 26), using all the usual parameters of course.

It was doing better than that last time I looked.

Yes I know there are other ways and possibly better ways of checking your position but the BHZ way still, I think, provides an indication, and it is quick.

Sorry just having a moan.😔   No need to reply.

Allan

• Like 1

Hi Allan 

No change in the position of mine either; did you set the number of images per page to the normal for your search? Thats my most common error!!

Cheers

Kumar

1 hour ago, Bionic said:

I'm going to have to ask, whats BHZ?

It was a mechanism thought up for contributors to figure out their relative rank compared to other contributors also taking part. With keyword BHZ added to an image, you do a search for the keyword. In the old days when we had regular changes in Alamy rank, we could get an idea if we had gone up or down by checking how far down the results our image came. 

I don't know if rank still plays such a big role in search results these days. My BHZ position hasn't moved from page 4 in years. 

Edited by andremichel
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MariaJ said:

OK I had to look.  It's been a while since I've checked.  The standard is 120 per page, RM images?    If so, I'm seeing 24 pages in total.

Here 26 pages @ 120 each 😕.

16 hours ago, Doc said:

Hi Allan 

No change in the position of mine either; did you set the number of images per page to the normal for your search? Thats my most common error!!

Cheers

Kumar

Yes. (all the usual parameters).

Allan

On 01/11/2019 at 23:07, MariaJ said:

OK I had to look.  It's been a while since I've checked.  The standard is 120 per page, RM images?    If so, I'm seeing 24 pages in total.

Whoops! I'd forgotten the RM only bit. Yes 24 pages not 26.

Hurray I have moved up a page to 7 now.😃       Still not as good as it was.😟

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

I asked once and the answer from Alamy was, "you haven't sold enough to be ranked..." so along with the intro information, I should be around the middle. Of course I asked that question six years ago, and I don't want to be a nag, but we all start around the middle. I wonder if I should assume that some people have somehow fallen below me? That would be difficult? 😉

When I do look, I'm always amused not only at the quality and diversity of images, but some of the crazy funny ones that people have selected. I'm way too normal, mine is just a personality shot of a celebrity. I picked it because it was bright yellow, on checkered black and white background, and made finding myself, in the mass of scenic and nice multi-colored images, easier.

So if anyone knows how many one needs to sell, to be ranked, that would be interesting?

On 01/11/2019 at 16:49, andremichel said:

I don't know if rank still plays such a big role in search results these days. My BHZ position hasn't moved from page 4 in years. 

Haven't looked in years and when I did, I think I'm where I belong.

Oh just reading the thread, RM only, I forgot. I think I may have changed all my images to RF. I'll need to update one to play.

11 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Your racing images shouldn't be RF unless you have releases from the owners of the vehicles, the brands, and all the people in them.

They are Editorial Only and licensed as RF elsewhere, (also for editorial use only) which means I can't have mixed licenses available for the same images.

Why do you say they can't be RF? That's a license not a use. Can you explain that please?

Back on topic, I marked one image RM, now I need to wait to see where I am, properly RM.

2 hours ago, Klinger said:

They are Editorial Only and licensed as RF elsewhere, (also for editorial use only) which means I can't have mixed licenses available for the same images.

Why do you say they can't be RF? That's a license not a use. Can you explain that please?

Back on topic, I marked one image RM, now I need to wait to see where I am, properly RM.

You will need to wait 24 hrs or system to update before looking. You probably know that already though.

Allan

I'm on page 10 with my pseudonym which I use for images that are not very good or are too personal or are candid photos of recognizable individuals. This pseudonym has sold two images.

My better images are under my own name. Page 11. One image sold.

Obviously I'm not going to be zoomed at all with general subjects. I'm on first page in search for Trastevere or Helsinki street art. Unfortunately there seems to be zero demand for those. :)

I've been on page 1 about 5 rows down for some time now.  I do get sales every month so I guess I'm doing something right?

Out of interest though, I very rarely have an image found in the monthly Have you found any Alamy Image threads.

Edited by John Walker

On 05/11/2019 at 10:39, JaniMarkus Hasa said:

I'm on page 10 with my pseudonym which I use for images that are not very good or are too personal or are candid photos of recognizable individuals. This pseudonym has sold two images.

My better images are under my own name. Page 11. One image sold.

I've had good number of zooms during past 7 days, especially for images under pseudonym. My pseudonym is actually doing much better CTR-wise than me with my "better images". Pseudonym 1.81, me 0.69. 

Good zooms and better CTR haven't however affected the position of my BHZ-images. Still on the same pages. Alamy algorithm moves in mysterious ways.

Edited by JaniMarkus Hasa

31 minutes ago, JaniMarkus Hasa said:

I've had good number of zooms during past 7 days, especially for images under pseudonym. My pseudonym is actually doing much better CTR-wise than me with my "better images". Pseudonym 1.81, me 0.69. 

Good zooms and better CTR haven't however affected the position of my BHZ-images. Still on the same pages. Alamy algorithm moves in mysterious ways.

Previously Alamy only updated "contributor's rank" every 180 days and it's believed that a contributor's rank was based on CTR and other measures of performance (Alamy don't disclose the exact details). So changes in BHZ image position tended to happen every 6 months just after a re-rank. But, so far as I'm aware, there hasn't been a re-rank in well over a year now. Bottom line is don't expect the position of your image to change in response to short term changes in your CTR, unless of course Alamy changes the way they place our images. :unsure:

Mark

• Love 1