Beyond Street

11 hours ago, Bryan said:

Don't see why not, particularly if you submit a series of images using the same technique when it should be obvious that this is your intent and not a processing error!

I've seen Alamy photos sell where nothing is sharp, but it is clear that the tog wanted to convey an impression of speed.

That makes sense. I wouldn't want to copy this person's idea. However, his technique might be usable for other types of subject matter. It's probably not as easy as it sounds, though.

My ambition is to live to be an active 150 year old and see you all out. Don't suppose it will happen but if it does I'll let you all know.

Allan

This sale, at a healthy fee, dropped in today. 

a-no-smoking-sign-in-english-spanish-and

If you've not been shooting them, I recommend signs as a good third-level stock subject. They account for almost 20% of my sales. 

Edo

>>> and here's a question: Who writes all those ironic one-liners we see these days on restaurants and shops? Copy writers at ad agencies? Hmmm. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 1

Note to self - I must pay more attention to signs, though I did sell one sign earlier in the year - it was for Regents University Regents Park, I remember taking it as it had a dried maple leaf on it, I thought it looked pretty, wonder if I would have still taken it had the leaf not been there though, ho hum......Edo I really like your food images they always make me feel hungry though😁

Carol

Thank you, Carol.

To me, to you, food is about taste. I'm disturbed by all the food ads I see on British TV where food is seen as some kind of fun athletic activity or a wild social event. 

I would love to take more pictures of flora, but I have zero knowledge to support that. Me gardening? Saints preserve us! I'll leave that to you and others. 

5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Thank you, Carol.

To me, to you, food is about taste. I'm disturbed by all the food ads I see on British TV where food is seen as some kind of fun athletic activity or a wild social event. 

I would love to take more pictures of flora, but I have zero knowledge to support that. Me gardening? Saints preserve us! I'll leave that to you and others. 

I do take pictures of flora, nice lady, but it is a big learning curve. Actually a lot of subjects are a learning curve, some more than others, but it adds to the interest even if it slows submissions down.

Allan

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I do take pictures of flora, nice lady, but it is a big learning curve. Actually a lot of subjects are a learning curve, some more than others, but it adds to the interest even if it slows submissions down.

Allan

I'm not sure that Flora is going to be too happy about your implying that she has a big learning curve. 😀

Signs are definitely worthwhile subjects. I've had had some surprisingly good sales of signs, flora too. A shot of a plant growing at the bottom of our front steps licensed for $$$ a few weeks ago. I've got a number of other "backyard" flower and plant images that have sold as well. I'm somewhat botanically challenged, so I tend to shoot first and ask questions later. Thank goodness for all those plant experts on the forum who kindly share their expertise.

Edited by John Mitchell

14 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

A shot of a plant growing at the bottom of our front steps licensed for $$$

I had a shot of a tree in my local park sell for $$$ too.😀

Allan

• Love 1

11 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

You mean leave the city, Betty? Not without a car. 

There are always city parks, of course. However, I  imagine that "autumn colours" season doesn't last very long in Liverpool, and it wouldn't be anything like eastern US and Canada. That said, you never know what you might find...

P.S. Urban "farmers' markets" and the like are always productive subjects in the fall.

Edited by John Mitchell

11 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

You mean leave the city, Betty? Not without a car. 

I remember when I visited Ireland alone in my student days I wanted to get out of Dublin and I took a tourist bus trip into the countryside. Costs money, of course, but you are in a position to make the money back with your photos.

Paulette

I thought I would look back at what images we have sold that were shot at home.

A butterfly on the window in our shed - $247 and $495. A spin painting I did for an am dram play - $428. Barbed wire in our garden - $439

These were all sales about 12 years ago.

The most recent sale of an image taken at home (our Ami jukebox) sold for $10... how times have changed.

14 hours ago, NYCat said:

I remember when I visited Ireland alone in my student days I wanted to get out of Dublin and I took a tourist bus trip into the countryside. Costs money, of course, but you are in a position to make the money back with your photos.

Paulette

I'm mystified that so many people want to get me on a bus or a train, or turn me loose on some mountain in rural Britain. Let me explain why not. Picture this:

I get up early, have some oatmeal with fruit and coffee, and check the weather report. As all residences of the British Isles know, the prediction is most often for a weather mix, the possibility of clouds, showers, and sunshine. And the weather report is extremely unreliable in the UK. In Ireland? Don't ask. In my little story here, I'm a 32-minute bus ride from the center of Liverpool. I wait for the bus in a light rain. The bus arrives. On the ride into town, the sun comes out. When we arrive, the sun is gone, hiding behind some large, boring nimbus clouds. I walk around and see some stock subjects, but the lighting sucks. Hmmm. I get back on the bus to go home, and of course the sun pops back out. 

I like landscape. And I like pretty pictures. But I can get more useful stock images walking around in a four-block area than I could in the country. If you do a search on 'landscape' in Alamy you get 12,629,978. Yes, that's 12 and a half million. There are only 1,258.633 of Paris. I will be shooting landmarks here in Liverpool at dusk with a tripod. That should be worth the effort, but not right now. 

If I ever get settled, I may go to Leeds or Manchester for a few days, as Bryan suggested.

Edo

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Like 3

OK, OK. I think I am rotten at taking landscapes but maybe not bad at a tree or a road. At least the signs would be different. The thread is "Beyond Street" after all. I can certainly see there would be weather issues. Anyway, I know you are a city shooter. I have to learn to do more of that if I'm to stick close to home.

Paulette

I too used to suffer the plight of not waiting long enough for the weather to improve and too often noted in the rear mirror that the weather had come good after I had driven half way home. So I bought a modest VW camper and made myself comfortable while waiting longer. I didn't often spend the nights in it, but I could. But Edo doesn't want to go back to driving

Edited by Robert M Estall