Beyond Street

58 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Having a car in a British city is slightly worse than having a gold brick tied to your leg. And you have to add more gold at regular intervals. Finally the gold turns into iron oxide.

So true. I had a car in Oxfordshire, and I had a car in DFW, Texas. I even had my Texas car with me in NYC. After just a week of parking on the streets, I went to get in it one morning and found that it was gone, never to be seen again. Paid parking in major cities now is as costly as renting a flat. Anyway, I don't feel comfortable with people of a certain age driving, even me. (Especially me.)

Living in a mobile home sounds fun . . . sort of. Back in the '70s I almost bought a houseboat. 

Here's a bit of positive news: The lovely NHS gave me the results of my blood tests today. Everything is normal. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Here's a bit of positive news: The lovely NHS gave me the results of my blood tests today. Everything is normal. 

You're going to love the price of healthcare in the UK, Ed. You're even exempt from prescription charges.

42 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

That is great news. You have another 20 years at least.😀

Allan

4 hours ago, spacecadet said:

You're going to love the price of healthcare in the UK, Ed. You're even exempt from prescription charges.

So far, I love everything about the NHS. I've had Rx meds filled three times now and paid nothing. I like the center I go to, I like the people, and everything else. So far. 

Allan, 20 more years? Have you been watching reruns of the Highlander series?

9 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

So far, I love everything about the NHS. I've had Rx meds filled three times now and paid nothing. I like the center I go to, I like the people, and everything else. So far. 

Something of a relief for someone from the US, then. Just read something about US drug companies stiffing on price and lobbying like crazy to stop any hint of price control. The odd image of a free UK prescription might be a bit topical now.

I haven't been to the doctor's for 12 years, Deo gratias, but it cost the NHS a few bob then. The Labour Party even has a pledge to abolish the remaining prescription charge of £9 for under-60s.

Edited by spacecadet

41 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Something of a relief for someone from the US, then. Just read something about US drug companies stiffing on price and lobbying like crazy to stop any hint of price control. The odd image of a free UK prescription might be a bit topical now.

I haven't been to the doctor's for 12 years, Deo gratias, but it cost the NHS a few bob then. The Labour Party even has a pledge to abolish the remaining prescription charge of £9 for under-60s.

Your system is ahead of Canada's. We still have to pay for prescription drugs (except when in hospital), but prices are a fraction of what they are in the US. I also have reasonably priced extended care insurance that covers some of the cost of meds. Fortunately, I only have a couple that I need to take.

A word of warning -- I didn't go to see my doctor for several years during my later fifties because I never seemed to have anything wrong with me. When I finally did go for a checkup at the age of 59, I had some nasty health surprises even though I felt just fine. I now visit him on a regular basis.

Edited by John Mitchell

On my never-ending saga, I have dealt with healthcare and Rx meds in Mexico, Canada, Spain, Ireland, and now the UK. I've also checked things out in Italy and several other EU nations. 

In the town of San Miguel de Allende I could buy my drugs over the counter and they were not expensive. The expat friend who rented me my flat gave me the name of her doctor but I didn't need to call him. In Montreal, I had to see a doctor to get Rx and then pay for the meds. Again in Spain, I could buy my meds over the counter and the public hospitals treat all comers for no fee. That's the law. However, if you don't have EU or private health insurance, you don't qualify for a resident visa. Legally, I could only stay for three months. (If you don't punch a cop, no one will tap you on the shoulder and tell you to leave.)  

So I went to Ireland. Even though I am an both an Irish (and a USA) citizen, I was not able to work out the issues on health and residency with the Irish agencies. So here I am back in the UK in Liverpool, as a very helpful Galway woman, the manager of my hotel, suggested, . . . right in time for Brexit. As I've said, with the NHS, so far, all has gone well. 

On 8 May 2019, the Irish and UK governments signed a Memorandum of Understanding (pdf) reaffirming the Common Travel Area and identifying the rights and privileges of Irish and UK citizens within the CTA. It also reaffirms the commitment to maintain the CTA following Brexit (pdf).

Edo 

P.S. I hit 7,000 Alamy images today. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

12 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Allan, 20 more years? Have you been watching reruns of the Highlander series?

Never seen the Highlander series.

Allan

5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

On 8 May 2019, the Irish and UK governments signed a Memorandum of Understanding (pdf) reaffirming the Common Travel Area and identifying the rights and privileges of Irish and UK citizens within the CTA. It also reaffirms the commitment to maintain the CTA following Brexit (pdf).

More Brexit bluster from our crooked government unfortunately. Perhaps Ireland didn't trust us to obey the law. The CTA predates the EU by decades- it's as old as the Irish Republic.

I wish I knew what will happen in the future on these matters, Mark . . . but I don't. 

Going back to my original subject, it's very wet and dark here on the Irish Sea today, dark as night. Inside Liverpool's museums, even when the sun is shinning, it's always dark and hard to see the exhibits, let alone capture them without a lot of digital noise. My Sony mirrorless gear is not good with noise. No, I won't be buying another camera. I find this very frustrating. Flash? A tripod? Forget it. The ultra modern Museum of Liverpool has some large windows but not where most of the exhibits are. Here's what's near the big window: 

WPAN08.jpg

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

More Brexit bluster from our crooked government unfortunately. Perhaps Ireland didn't trust us to obey the law. The CTA predates the EU by decades- it's as old as the Irish Republic.

The memorandum of understanding was agreed (renewed?) shortly before May resigned, no doubt because Bojo was waiting in the wings and there was a certain lack of trust in what he and his cohorts might do. Given the Supreme Court judgement today it is not surprising - the lack of trust that is. What a momentous day for British democracy. There is still hope for this wonderful country. Long live the NHS. 

As far as the CTA goes, it would cause unimaginable difficulties and enormous expense to have it any other way - imagine checking passports on the Northern Irish border alone, never mind citizens rights. 

Edited by MDM
  • Love 2
  • Like 2

Well, we're not going to chuck Ed out, anyway.

As to passports, my OH has Irish grandparents, but they were born in England. Very careless if you ask me.

No hope for me, alas- I'm ashamed to tell you which town in the East Midlands I come from.

Edited by spacecadet

Congratulations, Edo, on reaching the big 7000. You're catching up. I had better get motivated. 🥴

Never mind the fact that I could probably delete at least one third of my collection and still make the same number of sales at this point.

You might want to experiment with Sony's "handheld twilight mode" when shooting in dim interiors. I've found that it can work well at high ISO's with the a6000. The output is JPEG, though.

Yeah, I've used that setting, John. And the full-auto night setting. Still, it might be nice if they turned the lights on in these museums. 

And Mark, we just had three perfect sunny days. I expect we'll see a few more -- maybe in late April. 

• Love 1

24 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Yeah, I've used that setting, John. And the full-auto night setting. Still, it might be nice if they turned the lights on in these museums. 

And Mark, we just had three perfect sunny days. I expect we'll see a few more -- maybe in late April. 

I guess they're trying to save on electricity. Some museums now have motion sensors that turn up the lights when people walk into galleries, which is a good idea. Perhaps you should suggest this to the powers that be in Liverpool. I'll be in Montreal at the beginning of October and plan to visit a couple of museums on cloudy days. The maple trees should be starting to put on their fall display as well. Looking forward to a different scene. Motivation has been lagging here.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Well, we're not going to chuck Ed out, anyway.

As to passports, my OH has Irish grandparents, but they were born in England. Very careless if you ask me.

No hope for me, alas- I'm ashamed to tell you which town in the East Midlands I come from.

No need to - you have mentioned Boston on a few occasions 😎. I know the area quite well in fact, living in Pboro. 

57 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

And people, didn't you just love that senior lady judge who read the verdict? She looks like someone's kindly country grandma, but she sharp as a razor.  

Yes Lady Hale is an amazing and highly intelligent woman. I felt some very deep emotions watching and listening to her - people like her restore faith in humanity and give hope that there may be some light at the end of this long dark tunnel. Talking of which - you should take a trip down the Mersey Tunnel over to the Wirral, some lovely landscapes out that way (only joking Edo 😁). My wife is from there. 

Edited by MDM
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

You deserve a break (in the weather). We were in Luxembourg, Strasbourg and Trier last week and it was glorious too. Put a lot of alcohol away.

4 minutes ago, MDM said:

No need to - you have mentioned ****** on a few occasions 😎. I know the area quite well in fact, living in Pboro. 

Rats. Dobbed myself in then.

Haven't lived there for 32 years and still (or again?) living it down. I think it may be time to say I'm not from there anymore.

Edited by spacecadet

8 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Rats. Dobbed myself in then.

Haven't lived there for 32 years and still (or again?) living it down. I think it may be time to say I'm not from there anymore.

I always find the answer to "where are you from?" situational based on who's asking. For me, the place where I grew up and spent my childhood before going to university will always be home and therefore 'where I'm from'. But where I live today is also home and 'where I'm from'.

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

people, didn't you just love that senior lady judge who read the verdict? She looks like someone's kindly country grandma, but she sharp as a razor.  

..and now the Rottweilers will try and destroy her character.

Edited by Harry Harrison
toned down a tad

23 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

I always find the answer to "where are you from?" situational based on who's asking. For me, the place where I grew up and spent my childhood before going to university will always be home and therefore 'where I'm from'. But where I live today is also home and 'where I'm from'.

yeah, reverse also...  i was walking the Camino de Santiago this year (again) and when someone asked "where do you come from?"  it could mean based on person, Where were you born,? Where is home? where was you starting point of the pilgrimage? or where did you start this morning?.....  unmistakably i would guess the wrong one every time