Beyond Street

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Hmmm. Can I call them pavement stones?

I include "cobblestones" in the keywords because most people (including me) call setts cobblestones. I usually put "paving stones" in there as well. Then we have "cut stones" and "cobbles" -- it can get confusing.

On Alamy test searches of both 'pavement stones' and 'cobblestones' I have images on page one.

I've never had a sale on this subject, so the question is how much detailed tagging and research is called for? I remain a minimalist regarding tagging. I think we have to trust our ability to think like the average image buyer. Can we do that? No, but we must try and we must move forward. 

I just had the most sales ever for a month, although the prices were not strong. Since I only shoot and offer common-access subjects for editorial use, I must be doing something right. (Or nearly right.)

• Thanks 1

Back in the day when My wife and I owned a convenience/newspaper/tobacco store there was a postoffice attached. I was sub postmaster. Hated it from the day we moved in and it took 8 years to get rid of the whole shebang.

Allan

3 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

Royal Mail, sharing the rent with W H Smiths.

Not quite. Post Offices are the responsibility of Post Office Counters. Royal mail for the transportation and delivery of letters and packets.

So, Russell -- are you saying that the Post Office and the Royal Mail are two separate government agencies?  I asked someone in Smith's, who said it was the Royal Mail, but it didn't have a ring of truth, I thought. I've seen Royal Mail vans on the street here and they have that distinctive gold on red logo, like so: 

W40995.jpg

“Royal Mail and the Post Office are separate companies with independent Boards. Royal Mail is the company that delivers parcels and letters – the provider of the universal postal service. The Post Office is the nationwide network of branches offering a range of postal, Government and financial services.”

• Love 1

Edo,  regardless of the corporate structure,  the organisation running the Post Office on W H Smith premises is the Post Office.

There is a simple test to prove this, I do hope Russell and Ian can confirm. If you stand in the queue in either Office the person in front of you will want to perform the most complicated transactions possible. This always happens in every British Post Office, if this does not happen you are in an impostor Office and should leave promptly. 😉

9 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

If you stand in the queue in either Office the person in front of you will want to perform the most complicated transactions possible.

Were you behind me last week when I renewed my International Driving Permit?😀

I outsmarted them, James. I sent the Sony RX100/3 to my friend in New England via FedEx. The cost was 20 pounds less than what that Post Office told me. And regarding the new, complex business structure, I'm like any other red-blooded Yank (over 80) -- I hate change. I even hate the UK change in my pocket, which to me all looks the same size with amounts written in the tiniest type.

I better find some coffee.

10 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

There is a simple test to prove this, I do hope Russell and Ian can confirm. If you stand in the queue in either Office the person in front of you will want to perform the most complicated transactions possible. This always happens in every British Post Office, if this does not happen you are in an impostor Office and should leave promptly. 😉

Ah! This explains why there's never anyone behind me when I go in to buy a stamp!

Alan

On 01/10/2019 at 09:27, Ed Rooney said:

A question: is the Post Office I see in WH Smith's Royal Mail or a private company? 

The Royal Mail is a private company, Edo. It floated on the stockmarket around 6 years ago. Congrats on the sales btw.

Edited by BidC

11 hours ago, Russell said:

Ian's got that correct, but just to complicate things further, there's Parcelforce - which is part of the Royal Mail group that provides a courier (as opposed to a mail) service.

Yeah, and charge completely different prices for the same parcel ....

By the time you've got your head 'round it, they will have changed their name and structure again. Some bright corporate types managed to completely change their name to something clever which nobody could remember so they went back to being The Post Office having squandered a great deal of money rebranding. Must have been at least ten years ago.They are The Post Office no matter how much they insist they are a lot of other things. Consignia that was it, took a full day to recall!

In my village you can access most high street banks at their counter, draw your pension, pay some bills and buy foreign currency, send parcels and even buy stamps. Most of them you don't even have to lick anymore which doesn't bode well for stamp collectors. Some years ago they even had a Christmas offer of something like twelve stamps for the price of ten. That didn't last!  I can just about remember a time when you could use postage stamps as a kind of currency, usually buying modest items with stamps sent in the post when many many people didn't have bank accounts and everything depended on a brown envelope stuffed with cash at the end of the week.

The village would suffer hugely if they closed our branch. In Sudbury they closed their big and busy post office and set up shop in the back of WH Smith. Progress!

Edited by Robert M Estall