Jump to content

Beyond Street


Recommended Posts

I shoot a lot of Street. Not HCB or Robert Frank Street -- editorial Stock Street. Since leaving Seville in July, I've not been out on a single planned shoot. When going here and there for other reasons, I always have the Sony 100-6 with me and sometimes I have a shoulder bag with both the 100-6 and my a6000. So other than food shots, all my captures are of subjects I've found in passing. 

 

I need to expand my subject matter. I feel that I'm becoming repetitious and boring. Staying with common-access editorial subjects, do you have any suggestions. 

 

Edo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Statues and stained glass windows. (If you were down here I wouldn't mention it, but if you promise to stick to Liverpool.....)

 

Having had a look at your stuff, I see you're doing statues already. They do well for me.

Edited by Phil Robinson
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Go indoors? 

 

I've been visiting lots of historic churches and enjoying the treasures within.

 

But the photography is just part of it.  It also involves research and takes a bit longer in processing and key-wording.

 

No real hard evidence that it is paying off financially. Doubtful I expect. But then again what does pay off these days?

Edited by geogphotos
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I need to expand my subject matter.

 

Liverpool has an important place in British social history as a place of arrivals and departures (and involvement in the slave trade). Britain is currently going through a protracted and self-inflicted trauma, re Europe, with no obvious end in sight. Our democratic traditions are being undermined (hard to contemplate in a country which has done more than most to establish democracy, the rule of law, equal rights, freedom of speech, etc). A few of us (not me…) seem to be grieving for the loss of empire, and over-estimate our importance in international affairs.

 

So… there must be many opportunities for an outsider to dig under the surface - and the Beatles heritage business - to find telling images. The juxtaposition of wealth - those iconic buildings - and deprivation (lack of investment in a post-industrial age). You’ve arrived here at a moment of change and anxiety; take on the task of chronicling our confusion... before the civil war starts...

Edited by John Morrison
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A little bit of spin on the question.

 

Maybe keep the same subjects but as an exercise, how about pictures in the style of...

 

Pick someone who's work you like or maybe don't like and try to incorporate an aspect of that in some pictures.

 

Cheers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, John Morrison said:

 

Liverpool has an important place in British social history as a place of arrivals and departures (and involvement in the slave trade). Britain is currently going through a protracted and self-inflicted trauma, re Europe, with no obvious end in sight. Our democratic traditions are being undermined (hard to contemplate in a country which has done more than most to establish democracy, the rule of law, equal rights, freedom of speech, etc). A few of us (not me…) seem to be grieving for the loss of empire, and over-estimate our importance in international affairs.

 

So… there must be many opportunities for an outsider to dig under the surface - and the Beatles heritage business - to find telling images. The juxtaposition of wealth - those iconic buildings - and deprivation (lack of investment in a post-industrial age). You’ve arrived here at a moment of change and anxiety; take on the task of chronicling our confusion... before the civil war starts...

 

Just had one of my images used in an article in the Guardian about Lancaster (UK, in the North West, about 60 miles north of Liverpool, a port and city with a maritime and slave trade history, buildings that reflect the wealth at the time etc). Many of the issues mentioned by John covered in the article.

 

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/sep/13/lets-move-to-lancaster-lancashire-grander-than-you-might-think

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, geogphotos said:

The port would be an interesting subject especially if a trade deal with US is under discussion. 

 

Caveat emptor! No one trades with The Donald, they just get screwed over (if you'll pardon my French).

 

But that is indeed another story...

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Becoming repetitious and boring -- I can certainly relate to that. 🙄

 

In their latest picture needs e-mail / tweet, Alamy says that they are in need of "more authentic content in all areas."

 

Don't know if you've checked out the lightbox they put together for inspirational purposes.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Mister B, 

 

Running around chasing one photo or one subject is not my idea of stock. It’s more a spec assignment. That rubs me the wrong way. 

 

Rather than going out of my way to chase photos, I often make a mental or written note of searches / requests like the one Bryan mentioned in case I happen to spot the wanted image(s) in my wanderings. I think this has resulted in a number of sales (no proof, though).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

 

Rather than going out of my way to chase photos, I often make a mental or written note of searches / requests like the one Bryan mentioned in case I happen to spot the wanted image(s) in my wanderings. I think this has resulted in a number of sales (no proof, though).

 

My thinking for the "sold to america thread", rather than search out something, have it in the back of your mind so you don't walk past it.

 

I am though always happier wondering with a camera an capturing whatever serendipity provides.  Those presentations and newsletters don't get illustrated on their own you know!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

 

Rather than going out of my way to chase photos, I often make a mental or written note of searches / requests like the one Bryan mentioned in case I happen to spot the wanted image(s) in my wanderings. I think this has resulted in a number of sales (no proof, though).

 

I effectively kicked off my selling with Alamy by studying the searches made by customers in AOA, previously my results had been at best mediocre, then suddenly the sales started to appear. Now however, that approach no longer seems to work, the competition has magnified manyfold and  those same images of unchanging objects rarely sell. I clearly need a new trick or two!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/09/2019 at 04:18, Ed Rooney said:

I need to expand my subject matter. I feel that I'm becoming repetitious and boring. Staying with common-access editorial subjects, do you have any suggestions. 

 

Edo

 

Edo

Select a subject that is at hand, and which you are interested in, and photographically explore it deeply. Not just the surface, but explore the subject deeply over a year or so

 

I suffer from the same subject matter malaise.

 

I am going to start doing more surrealism in photoshop. Move over Rene Magritte. First attempts will depend heavily on Magritte, but hopefully I will be able to go my own way with later images. 

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Rene+Magritte&lr=&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjYrL2vmtHkAhVCqZ4KHfX5AtUQ_AUIESgB&biw=1751&bih=1248&dpr=2

 

I have also considered 36 views of the CN tower. The CN tower dominates the Toronto skyline and seems to be always in view from anywhere in the city. If printmaker Hokusai can do it with 36 views of Mount Fuji in 1830 so can I

.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty-six_Views_of_Mount_Fuji

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I found this photographer's urban "double vision" images interesting (if a bit chaotic).

 

Have not experimented with this technique myself as I'm not sure how the results would sit with Alamy QC.

 

P.S. Do you think images like this would pass QC?

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I found this photographer's urban "double vision" images interesting (if a bit chaotic).

 

Have not experimented with this technique myself as I'm not sure how the results would sit with Alamy QC.

 

P.S. Do you think images like this would pass QC?

 

Don't see why not, particularly if you submit a series of images using the same technique when it should be obvious that this is your intent and not a processing error!

 

I've seen Alamy photos sell where nothing is sharp, but it is clear that the tog wanted to convey an impression of speed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Illuminating thoughts, Bill, in both my recent posts. However, advanced Adobe tricks are a giant step. 

 

I agree, Bryan. QC seems to understand creative efforts on our part.

Edited by Ed Rooney
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.