Don't know what it is about June

11 minutes ago, Marb said:

Well I am sorry you feel like that and I also apologise for not thanking you which was a genuine oversight but still a poor show on my account. Yes, I do tend to veer on the negative side of things but always try and count my blessings which is work in progress. I just get very despondent when sales here dry up when I am  adding new images. 

No worries. I gave up a long time ago worrying about sales for me on Alamy as I don't license a lot here and maybe never will. But I blame myself mostly as I know a lot of my stuff is not going to be very saleable here and we are competing with a massive number of other photographers. I love doing landscape photography (and lots of other types of photography as well)  so I upload my landscapes and general pictorial stuff when I get time but I am never expecting to make much out of it. So I put my energy into other areas of photography where my skills actually pay off. 

As I said you are more than a half-decent and eclectic photographer so maybe you could think about other ways to make money out of it if you don't already. You don't want to start showing a sourpuss to clients though  - needs special diplomatic effort but that can be a good personaliy and character development thing. I like to call a spade a spade but have learnt altenative ways to do this with clients 😀. Reputation is everything.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, John Morrison said:

We've heard you. We got the memo. But it's like hearing a boring anecdote again and again and again...

Back to ignoring him for me, I'm afraid. Gets you down after a while.

Only snag is it doesn't get rid of quotes!

Edited by spacecadet

14 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

When an acquaintance asks me casually “How are you doing?” Or “How are you?” I know they don’t want to hear, “my back is killing me, I have a limb down in my yard and don’t know what to do, Alamy is treating me rotten, or anything else. They are only making a greeting, and expect a smile and for me to say, “Great, How are you?

And when you do say "Great, How are you?"  all you get back are their troubles and whinging.

Still you and I are here to field their troubles so they can offload and feel better in themselves.

Allan

• Love 1

While recognising the troubles that Allan and Betty are currently experiencing following bereavements and that their positive attitudes to tackling their problems can be very helpful in coming through really difficult times, it is important to note that not everyone is able to approach life in this way. Depression, anxiety and other negative  mental states often cannot be simply overcome by a positive attitude as the causes are often deeper rooted and may be pathological.

I find Marb's negativity as annoying and frustrating as everyone else and in fact generally gave up trying to reason with him some time back, as nothing ever seemed to be taken on board and banging my head on a wall might have been more productive. However, there is a definite hint of some deeper rooted problem in something he said in his reply to me on Saturday when he said "I also apologise for not thanking you which was a genuine oversight but still a poor show on my account. Yes, I do tend to veer on the negative side of things but always try and count my blessings which is work in progress. " This suggests that there may be something problematic underlying his negativity and that it is not a simple matter of just getting over himself and waking up. He may even be genuinely unaware of the effect he is having on others. It is not my intention to do a dissection of his behavior and mental state or to suggest how others should respond to him. I am just throwing this into the mix for consideration and I wish him luck in his work in progress. 

Edited by MDM
  • Love 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MDM said:

While recognising the troubles that Allan and Betty are currently experiencing following bereavements and that their positive attitudes to tackling their problems can be very helpful in coming through really difficult times, it is important to note that not everyone is able to approach life in this way. Depression, anxiety and other negative  mental states often cannot be simply overcome by a positive attitude as the causes are often deeper rooted and may be pathological.

I find Marb's negativity as annoying and frustrating as everyone else and in fact generally gave up trying to reason with him some time back, as nothing ever seemed to be taken on board and banging my head on a wall might have been more productive. However, there is a definite hint of some deeper rooted problem in something he said in his reply to me on Saturday when he said "I also apologise for not thanking you which was a genuine oversight but still a poor show on my account. Yes, I do tend to veer on the negative side of things but always try and count my blessings which is work in progress. " This suggests that there may be something problematic underlying his negativity and that it is not a simple matter of just getting over himself and waking up. He may even be genuinely unaware of the effect he is having on others. It is not my intention to do a dissection of his behavior and mental state or to suggest how others should respond to him. I am just throwing this into the mix for consideration and I wish him luck in his work in progress. 

Good words.  I got fed up with trying to instill some positivity as well, but what you've written makes sense.  Hopefully Marb will get some luck his way soon.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

Good words.  I got fed up with trying to instill some positivity as well, but what you've written makes sense.  Hopefully Marb will get some luck his way soon.

With all respect to the posts above (especially Betty) it is harder for some more than others to have a natural positivity when we are all so differently made. I just think merely staying positive in the face of circumstances beyond our control is deluding ourselves. Some days I feel good and others so low it takes a great effort to just get up in the morning. That's the way it is and I can't change it. having a stroke 4 years ago (fortunately only minor) bought me down to reality to try and make the most of life.

My CTR is showing a pathetic 0.09 which is the lowest ever month so I can't see any sales this month at this rate.

1 hour ago, Marb said:

My CTR is showing a pathetic 0.09 which is the lowest ever month so I can't see any sales this month at this rate.

Take heart Marb. My CTR for April was 0.00 and for March and May were only 0.11 respectively. Thankfully June has crept up to 0.37. My average for all of the last 12 months is only 0.38.

Yup! I am having a terrible year but I try to carry on as normal and as the months pass it does not seem so bad.

Allan

I’m sorry about your minor stroke, Marb. I can see how that could affect your outlook.  

Cheer up! I have an appointment with a neurosurgeon in July to see if there is anything that can be done about my lower spine, which has begun to curve to the right. I look like I have a cocked hip. It’s pretty bad and the pain causes limitations on my activity.

I’m apprehensive that he’ll tell me nothing can be done, and my mobility will eventually be gone. 

Possibly this is all a result of my breast cancer treatment 15 years ago, (chemo and radiation has effects) plus the forced move because of my husband’s dementia. It caused me to do all the painting and work on the house readying it to sell. Then I was packing and lifting heavy boxes. I think that’s when the curvature began on an already fragile back.  Sometimes there are prices to pay to live.

But hey, you and I are still alive and kicking! Always remember, each morning when we wake up, we’ve been given a blessing.

Darn! There I did it. I whined. I talked about my health. Shoot me.

Betty

• Love 2
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Take heart Marb. My CTR for April was 0.00 and for March and May were only 0.11 respectively. Thankfully June has crept up to 0.37. My average for all of the last 12 months is only 0.38.

Yup! I am having a terrible year but I try to carry on as normal and as the months pass it does not seem so bad.

Allan

Carrying on is all we can do, Allan. We have to wade through the muck to reach the island.

2 hours ago, Marb said:

With all respect to the posts above (especially Betty) it is harder for some more than others to have a natural positivity when we are all so differently made. I just think merely staying positive in the face of circumstances beyond our control is deluding ourselves. Some days I feel good and others so low it takes a great effort to just get up in the morning. That's the way it is and I can't change it. having a stroke 4 years ago (fortunately only minor) bought me down to reality to try and make the most of life.

I hear this and I wish you the best. I would say though that basing your happiness and state of mind on something so trivial as Alamy sales or CTR is not healthy. There are far more serious things to be worried about right now. I am not referring to those who rely on sales for income as a trivial activity but I am guessing you are not relying on sales for survival.

Also selling images is not something that is completely out of one's control although the extremely competitive nature of the stock industry certainly makes it seem like it might be. We decide what to shoot and where to make it available for sale. 

As an example of something that is completely out of one's control, try being a football fan and supporting a team. As a serious football fan since I was a kid (Tottenham), I have to wonder why I bother sometimes. The last few months saw some incredible highs followed by a real bummer in the Champions League final with the most ridiculous handball having a massive influence on the outcome. While I don't stay down for long, the kick in the guts that I felt watching that game was bad while it lasted. And then I think how ridiculous to base my happiness on a football match. 

So life goes on. I don't think there is a destination but, if there is, then it is surely in the here and now. Easy to say when one is feeling ok but not so good when the stress levels are high and one is feeling really down. All we can do is to keep on truckin, live in the light when it is shining and know that the light will return after the darkness. Producing beautiful photography is fundamental to me and my life's goals whether for myself or for clients.  I think you could just produce for your own benefit and allow what comes to come. Above all enjoy what you do with your camera - your work is very good.

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’m sorry about your minor stroke, Marb. I can see how that could affect your outlook.  

Cheer up! I have an appointment with a neurosurgeon in July to see if there is anything that can be done about my lower spine, which has begun to curve to the right. I look like I have a cocked hip. It’s pretty bad and the pain causes limitations on my activity.

I’m apprehensive that he’ll tell me nothing can be done, and my mobility will eventually be gone. 

Possibly this is all a result of my breast cancer treatment 15 years ago, (chemo and radiation has effects) plus the forced move because of my husband’s dementia. It caused me to do all the painting and work on the house readying it to sell. Then I was packing and lifting heavy boxes. I think that’s when the curvature began on an already fragile back.  Sometimes there are prices to pay to live.

But hey, you and I are still alive and kicking! Always remember, each morning when we wake up, we’ve been given a blessing.

Darn! There I did it. I whined. I talked about my health. Shoot me.

Betty

I hope the neurosurgeon gives you some positive news. I postponed having my arthritic hip replaced for several years. However, it got to the point where my mobility was so badly compromised that I realized I was heading for Walkerville. Now, well over a year after the operation, I'm pretty much back to normal. It's important to keep on top of these things, especially as we get older. Best of luck.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I hope the neurosurgeon gives you some positive news. I postponed having my arthritic hip replaced for several years. However, it got to the point where my mobility was so badly compromised that I realized I was heading for Walkerville. Now, well over a year after the operation, I'm pretty much back to normal. It's important to keep on top of these things, especially as we get older. Best of luck.

Thanks, John. Not sure it can be fixed without putting rods and screws in, and I just saw a television expose’ about back surgeons putting in bootlegged bad stuff for kickbacks. Scary out there. Forewarned is forearmed, though. Who wants screws and rods that rust in your body?

Just had my "end of month rush"  It is very close to my average number of monthly sales over the year with a small bonus of a live news sale of v low $$$ to go with all the low $ and $$ sales for online news sites.(Sun, Telegraph, Times etc)  So June is no better or worse than any other month.

Back in April I decided to accept that after years and years of denial I was deaf as a post. I was the poster boy for having the TV on too loud, getting baristas to repeat my order loudly, smiling benignly because I had no idea what had just been said.

So it was off to the Dr's for a hearing check and then an appointment to get hearing aids. Nothing special, just the standard NHS jobs.

Walking back from the Dr's I stopped, really surprised by what I had just heard.  Birdsong.

I hadn't heard birdsong for decades. Hearing it again was uplifting,  joyfull.

So for all of you who have shared their aches and pains, I hope there is some thing out there on its way to you that will lift your spirits as much as hearing a bird singing did for me.

G'night kids.

• Love 1
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, IanDavidson said:

Just had my "end of month rush"  It is very close to my average number of monthly sales over the year with a small bonus of a live news sale of v low $$$ to go with all the low $ and $$ sales for online news sites.(Sun, Telegraph, Times etc)  So June is no better or worse than any other month.

Nice to hear that Ian! My end of month rush is still waiting for the last moment, but a licence turned up on Saturday for the worst picture in my portfolio, some angle iron on Bristol Harbour with no merit whatsover. $$ for an educational useage? Picture buyers are lovely people but quite, quite mad sometimes.

7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Thanks, John. Not sure it can be fixed without putting rods and screws in, and I just saw a television expose’ about back surgeons putting in bootlegged bad stuff for kickbacks. Scary out there. Forewarned is forearmed, though. Who wants screws and rods that rust in your body?

Yes, it's a wise idea to do some research. The thing I have in my leg looks like something you might find in an auto parts store, but it has been working fine so far.

Perhaps the forum now needs a "Geriatric Support" section for older types like us who are starting to fall apart. 😃

9 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

Nice to hear that Ian! My end of month rush is still waiting for the last moment, but a licence turned up on Saturday for the worst picture in my portfolio, some angle iron on Bristol Harbour with no merit whatsover. $$ for an educational useage? Picture buyers are lovely people but quite, quite mad sometimes.

I think it is a common thought that there is absolutely no way to tell what is going to sell.  I must admit, I don’t care about the reasons, just the $$!  I often have a laugh when people ask “What sells on Alamy?”  I have sold some terrible pictures and not sold some exclusive “breaking news” shots....

10 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

Back in April I decided to accept that after years and years of denial I was deaf as a post. I was the poster boy for having the TV on too loud, getting baristas to repeat my order loudly, smiling benignly because I had no idea what had just been said.

So it was off to the Dr's for a hearing check and then an appointment to get hearing aids. Nothing special, just the standard NHS jobs.

Walking back from the Dr's I stopped, really surprised by what I had just heard.  Birdsong.

I hadn't heard birdsong for decades. Hearing it again was uplifting,  joyfull.

So for all of you who have shared their aches and pains, I hope there is some thing out there on its way to you that will lift your spirits as much as hearing a bird singing did for me.

G'night kids.

I love birdsong too but not being woken up by it at 4AM on a midsummer's morning and then not being able to go back to sleep. That's when the special earplugs come out - long live the Snore Store! 😀

Speaking of birds....I watched through my window while an American robin (larger than UK robins) had a grand old time splashing in my bird bath. I’ve watched birds bathe for years, and gotten my share of pictures, a few on Alamy.  But never have I seen a sparrow do anything but drink from the bird bath. They like a rollicking communal dust bath, or bathe in a rain puddle. Shallow is the name of the game.

Today, a young female sparrow (I think this year’s hatch) sat on the edge and watched the robin splashing about. It was a hot day and she was panting. Soon her feathers fluffed, like she wanted to partake. After the robin flew away, the sparrow made many trips hopping round the edge, first one way then the other, trying to get the nerve to try it. Finally, after a few drinks, she leaned over and dipped her neck in. Round and round again. Finally dipping her chest, fluttering, then backed off. Eventually, after several false starts, she got the nerve to jump in with both feet and thoroughly enjoyed splashing about. This was a 5 minute process. 30 years of watching bigger birds bathe, and I saw my first sparrow try it in the bird bath. And she didn’t drown! 😁

There is joy in the smallest of things.

Betty

• Love 3
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Finally, after a few drinks, she leaned over and dipped her neck in. Round and round again. Finally dipping her chest, fluttering, then backed off. Eventually, after several false starts, she got the nerve to jump in with both feet and thoroughly enjoyed splashing about. 

It is amazing what you can do after a few drinks!

😉

• Love 1
  • Like 3