Favourite photos in October '18

Robert Convery

A step over apple cordon on my allotment. This tree, transplanted last year, was attacked by rabbits over the winter, who all but ringbarked it. I thought it was a gonner, but, lo and behold, a gorgeous crop of apples. No idea what variety, transplanted from another allotment.

stepover-cordon-apple-tree-in-an-allotme

4 hours ago, Bryan said:

A step over apple cordon on my allotment. This tree, transplanted last year, was attacked by rabbits over the winter, who all but ringbarked it. I thought it was a gonner, but, lo and behold, a gorgeous crop of apples. No idea what variety, transplanted from another allotment.

stepover-cordon-apple-tree-in-an-allotme

It’s been a bumper crop all over. I have taken over 230 kg of cooking and eating apples from about 5 trees to our local cider making business. In return I now have 33 bottles of Thistly Cross cider 😄

2 hours ago, Sally said:

It’s been a bumper crop all over. I have taken over 230 kg of cooking and eating apples from about 5 trees to our local cider making business. In return I now have 33 bottles of Thistly Cross cider 😄

We got none- it rained the week after bud burst and we lost the lot- 3cwt in a good year. All we got was a couple of early windfalls that ripened up off the tree. Disaster. Nothing you can buy in the UK comes close.

How old is that tree, Bryan? Perhaps we need something younger than the house (1907).

On 25/10/2018 at 15:39, aphperspective said:

Day before yesterday local café Full Irish Breakfast before setting of on a shoot.

traditional-full-irish-breakfast-on-a-caf-table-PXXYGD.jpg

Oh No! Not chips for breakfast!:o

Allan

15 hours ago, spacecadet said:

We got none- it rained the week after bud burst and we lost the lot- 3cwt in a good year. All we got was a couple of early windfalls that ripened up off the tree. Disaster. Nothing you can buy in the UK comes close.

How old is that tree, Bryan? Perhaps we need something younger than the house (1907).

Hi Mark

I don't know the age of that tree as I inherited it. However we also have a 30 year old Egremont Russet in the garden at home, and that was also covered with fruit this year. However it did go through a lean spell, when we contacted the supplier - Roger's of Pickering - to see if anything could be done. This was their response :-

"Your tree actually looks in good condition. I don’t think there is anything that a little TLC wouldn’t take care of. The tree could do with a good prune in December, clearing out some of the growth in the centre of the tree to improve air circulation, as well as reducing this year’s growth, taking out any dead or diseased wood, and removing branches which are crossing and rubbing.

A winter wash after pruning should get rid of the lichen on the tree (which isn’t actually doing any harm at all). 40ml of Jeyes fluid per 5 litres of water would be ideal to disinfect and kill any overwintering spores or eggs.
I would feed with a high potash feed in late February, which should encourage a good crop of fruit next year."

We did that and the tree was rejuvenated, maybe worth a try?

5 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I really like this. Very pleasing composition -- perfect image for a calendar or picture book.

Thank you John.  It was such a pretty setting, with a wonderful path through the woods nearby.  Speaking of which,  I really like your image of looking up at the cedars.

2 hours ago, MariaJ said:

Thank you John.  It was such a pretty setting, with a wonderful path through the woods nearby.  Speaking of which,  I really like your image of looking up at the cedars.

Thanks. I used an inexpensive fisheye conversion lens attachment for the cedar trees. It's a cool toy. Lots of CA, but it's easily corrected.

Our autumns pale in comparison to those back east, where there are so many colourful deciduous trees. Hope you've put the mill image on a POD site. I'm sure it would do well.  

Two images to finish the month for me.

First a man walking his dog along the beach:

Vesteys Beach at sunset, in Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia. Stock Photo

An while I was watching the sunset I eat a nice little burger:

Hamburger with fries. Stock Photo

I don't know if there is really a market for this type of images on Alamy, but I liked them.

Have a good day,

Regis

A couple more archive for Avpics' benefit:
Meteor WF791 at Old Warden in 1982. Lost 1988. The pilot deliberately flew into the ground to avoid a housing estate.
PYMBA3.jpg
Dragon Rapide G-AHGD, killed its pilot in 1991 when he got his lapstrap caught in the control wheel.
PYMBA2.jpg
Piston Provost, no longer airworthy
PYMBA6.jpg
In my book they only qualify as archive if they're no longer flying.

In the other thread I mentioned about kicking myself for not uploading 'found' images sooner. One example is VSS Enterprise which was at Farnborough in 2012, and crashed in 2014. I've just uploaded a shot of the nose art, which could have been on the database at the time if I'd had my act together. It's the only such image on Alamy.

PYH8H4.jpg

Archived