Images sold in August (One per day per contributor)

16 hours ago, gvallee said:

A $120 book sale to the US just dropped in. Happy!

I'm glad I persevered with this spider. Each time I approached, it closed the lid to the entrance of its burrow.

wolf-spider-tasmanicosa-sp-former-lycosa

What a stunning spider & a great photo. I love them too and never harm them, not even the massive huntsman that was lurking in my shower towel and bit me a few years ago. After I got over the shock, and iced the swelling, it got released into the rear of the back yard.

1 hour ago, cbimages said:

What a stunning spider & a great photo. I love them too and never harm them, not even the massive huntsman that was lurking in my shower towel and bit me a few years ago. After I got over the shock, and iced the swelling, it got released into the rear of the back yard.

Huntsman? Ah ah. A good story happened to me. I was driving my campervan on my own, 100 kph on the motorway in the fast lane. I pulled down the sun visor and heard a loud thump. A huntsman the size of my hand landed on the dashboard and looked at me reproachfully. I was at the beginning of the long steep climb over the range at Wollongong, not a chance of stopping for many kilometres with all the trucks crawling. The spider disappeared from sight. I was wearing shorts and each time the key ring attached to the ignition key brushed my leg I thought it was the huntsman. I since learnt that they love to hide behind sun visors.

If interested, here's my book on spiders. Here.

Gen

3 hours ago, gvallee said:

Huntsman? Ah ah. A good story happened to me. I was driving my campervan on my own, 100 kph on the motorway in the fast lane. I pulled down the sun visor and heard a loud thump. A huntsman the size of my hand landed on the dashboard and looked at me reproachfully. I was at the beginning of the long steep climb over the range at Wollongong, not a chance of stopping for many kilometres with all the trucks crawling. The spider disappeared from sight. I was wearing shorts and each time the key ring attached to the ignition key brushed my leg I thought it was the huntsman. I since learnt that they love to hide behind sun visors.

If interested, here's my book on spiders. Here.

Gen

Gen, the book looks absolutely amazing. There is obviously so much work put into it. Thanks for letting me see it.

I know about car scares with Huntsman spiders. Hubby had one "appear" on his right foot many years ago, he was wearing thongs and like you, we were doing 100k, on the highway and surrounded by trucks so couldn't slow down or pull off for a few minutes. It was sitting on his knee by the time we got to stop. I wonder if that one had a home behind the sun visor!

JCB at work on Millisle Beach Stock Photo

$$

Usage: Editorial
Media: Newspaper - national
Print run: up to 750,000
Placement: Inside and online
Image Size: 1/4 page
Start: 21 August 2018
End: 22 August 2018
Any placement in paper and online. One use in a single editorial or advertorial article used within print and /or web versions, with re-use of the article in other titles or web versions within the same newspaper group. Digital use includes archive rights for the lifetime of the article.

1 hour ago, Richard Baker said:

A very good sale of a golden oldie (1993) $xxx. I still walk past this spot on Fenchurch Street in the City of London and think of this picture

Media: Book, print and/or e-book
Print run: up to 10,000

an-elderly-homeless-man-shuffles-past-a-

Powerful image Richard. Very sad at the same time but great reportage.

21 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Finally a decent sale this month! Volunteers helping to renovate a house for the needy.  Educational Book use.

college-volunteers-work-on-renovating-a-

Well this sale above quickly evaporated today with a refund a day after it was posted as a sale.  

Now I have this one below, that came in today, for an editorial book use.....I hope it stays in the plus column!  Its like the childhood board game of "Chutes and Ladders".   

food-large-hot-amish-made-pretzels-at-pe

11 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:
  • Well this sale above quickly evaporated today with a refund a day after it was posted as a sale. 

It may well come back. Educational Book uses seem to do that more often than others.

https://c7.alamy.com/comp/DRPFCP/napier-art-deco-famous-national-tobacco-company-building-formerly-DRPFCP.jpg

Napier. Marketing package.

wim

3 hours ago, ManWay said:

Powerful image Richard. Very sad at the same time but great reportage.

Hey, thanks ManWay. It was a project that some magazine paid for on usage - but which in reality I spent a year on, traipsing through the City sniffing out stories etc. I think it's dated pretty well!

Richard.

On 8/21/2018 at 02:24, gvallee said:

It was the size of my hand and guarding its egg sac. It would bite but is not poisonous. Not seriously poisonous anyway.

I love spiders. I did a Blurb book on spiders.

Gen

The only good spider is a dead spider!:D

Actually, unlike Garfield the cat, I leave them alone unless they make me hurt myself. I didn’t much care for the granddaddy long legs crawling over my shoulder while rocking to a silent tune. Afraid it bit the dust. That was unintentional, a product of the scream and slapping it off.

Betty

8 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

The only good spider is a dead spider!:D

Sure, but how are you going to kill one of Gen's?:o

A rolled-up newspaper ain't going to do it. Maybe the tyre iron.

Australia does seem to have a lot of wildlife that wants to kill you. We've only got the adder, and that hasn't killed anyone since 1975.

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Sure, but how are you going to kill one of Gen's?:o

A rolled-up newspaper ain't going to do it. Maybe the tyre iron.

Australia does seem to have a lot of wildlife that wants to kill you. We've only got the adder, and that hasn't killed anyone since 1975.

I used to want to visit Australia. After seeing the monsters...not so much. Unless I have a trusty tire iron! I don’t believe that would be effective against a croc, though. That’s the monsterest of monsters. See, I created a new adjective. :D 

Oh, wait. There’s the Great Whites. Just stay out of and away from the water. And the bush...and the...sun visors...and the...

Nearest I came to Gen’s spider episode is when I drove a Classic Pontiac with those little windows you cranked to funnel wind in.

I had on a pair of shorts. A wasp hit the cranked window and got funneled straight to the seat between my bare thighs. It was p***ed, stunned, and waving its stinger around.

Did I mention I was in the process of turning a corner?

I managed to make a bridge of my body entirely off the seat, complete the turn without going into a deep ditch, brake, turn off engine, throw on the emergency brake and tumble out of the car in a few seconds. Then eject the wasp with a roadside stick and calm my runaway heart and hyperventilation. I was a bit skinned up from hitting the pavement awkwardly. But I didn’t get stung.

Makes one wonder how many fatal car accidents have been caused by a critter in the car.

Betty

5 hours ago, spacecadet said:

You might be surprised to learn that the most likely animal to kill you in Australia is a HORSE.

Statistics on animal-caused deaths in Oz show the following order:

1. Horses

2. Cows

3. Dogs

4. Kangaroos

5. Sharks and Bees

6. Snakes

7. Crocodiles

8. Emus

Amazing isn't it?

Gen

Gen, yes, definitely emus....I got chased by a wild one a few years ago, no doubt it wanted the sandwich I was eating........silly me just ran and forget to toss the food! Once I dropped it, the emu got what it wanted and went away. Then there's goannas..........hubby & I took some bread rolls and lovely fresh prawns to a lookout in the hill behind the town we live in. It was a balmy spring day, and we were relaxed and enjoying our feast. Then I noticed a massive goanna heading towards us, and it came and stood right next to me - it's head was about knee height. Within minutes we had 8 of them surrounding us, heads up, sniffing the aroma of our picnic. We carefully packed up and planned our escape. I stood and tossed the whole bowl of prawn peelings in the opposite direction to where our car was, and when the goannas went one way, we went the other. Needless to say there was a lot of fighting for our scraps!

Back to the topic. Today's sale, medium $$

Media: Book, print and/or e-book
Print run: up to 50,000
Placement: Inside
Image Size: 1 page
Start: 22 August 2018
End: 22 August 2028
new use in subsequent edition, interior use any size, volume discount

wine-cellar-at-tyrrells-winery-hunter-valley-australia-BCRPB9.jpg

Archived