Steve Hyde

Where has Philippe gone?

3 hours ago, funkyworm said:

Can we get away from this idea that the Dutch and Belgians are all direct to the point of rudeness? There are some rude and direct people here. Some, including politicians, even use their nationality as an excuse to be rude and direct. But it is by no means the norm.

The same goes for using a language other than ones mother tongue... a large percentage of the world are multi-lingual. Faux-pas happen. But its no excuse to be rude.

Reposting a chart that Martin Carlsson once posted in another thread. 

Hardly people want to be rude, a lot of (perceived) rudeness comes down to mutual misunderstanding. 

Own experience tells me the chart below is by no means the entire breadth of that topic (and most I personally learned the hard way): 

enhanced-buzz-orig-13765-1372685755-19.j  

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, funkyworm said:

Edited by hdh
deleted double post

25 minutes ago, hdh said:

Reposting a chart that Martin Carlsson once posted in another thread. 

Hardly people want to be rude, a lot of (perceived) rudeness comes down to mutual misunderstanding. 

Own experience tells me the chart below is by no means the entire breadth of that topic (and most I personally learned the hard way): 

enhanced-buzz-orig-13765-1372685755-19.j  

Thanks for the English instructions book :D

Philippe's knowledge (about photography, wildlife, etc.) is considerable and valuable. And his sense of humour was much appreciated by many of us I am sure. As far as I remember, he was always willing to help and he did help a lot of people here on this forum, including some who did not appreciate his positions, maybe especially those who did not appreciate his positions. I tend to think that a constructive and relevant criticism, even if it is not exactly what one may want to hear, is more valuable than flattering one's ego.

Edited by Olivier Parent
  • Upvote 7

He's gone to a better place...

He became a monk and is now brewing beer in a Belgian monastery 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Olivier Parent said:

Philippe's knowledge (about photography, wildlife, etc.) is considerable and valuable. And his sense of humour was much appreciated by many of us I am sure. As far as I remember, he was always willing to help and he did help a lot of people here on this forum, including some who did not appreciate his positions, maybe especially those who did not appreciate his positions. I tend to think that a constructive and relevant criticism, even if it is not exactly what one may want to hear, is more valuable than flattering one's ego.

+100

38 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

He's gone to a better place...

He became a monk and is now brewing beer in a Belgian monastery 

Now there's a (stock) photo opp waiting to be happening...:)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Olivier Parent said:

Yes, yes, yes. I miss him so much. He was very generous in his help to me even though my images compete directly with his. If he sounded cranky when he was talking about microstock it was because he had been hurt by it. I get cranky too when someone is taking the food from my mouth.

Paulette

• Upvote 1

Drop by Zuckerberg's place. He chips in there now and again.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Why the red arrows? I don't see anything personally insulting or greatly unpleasant in this discussion. Wasn't it the red arrow merchants who drove Philippe away from the forum?

• Upvote 4

On 10/10/2017 at 11:53, spacecadet said:

Drop by Zuckerberg's place. He chips in there now and again.

Indeed he does, as do other Alamy contributors. There have been some good threads on there, although I still struggle with the user interface over there. It's not as usable as a true forum

Mark

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

Indeed he does, as do other Alamy contributors. There have been some good threads on there, although I still struggle with the user interface over there. It's not as usable as a true forum

Mark

I find FB better than the birdy page. ;) 

19 hours ago, Bryan said:

Why the red arrows? I don't see anything personally insulting or greatly unpleasant in this discussion. Wasn't it the red arrow merchants who drove Philippe away from the forum?

Hey, I got one too! What's going on? Someone not like Zuckerberg's place?

BTW I know who gave it. Don't bother to reply to the post, just give a red arrow. Not how most of us do things, fortunately.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Upvote 1