How do you search Internet to find if Your/Alamy pix used ?

I really am intrigued with the Forum - photos found in June 2018 etc ... I find it a fascinating feed.

Years ago I would deliver my roll of film to the picture desk hopefully negotiate a fee and then go buy the paper in the morning !

As a newbie to Forum is anyone kindly able to explain how photographers can search the internet for possible usage and any tips to mark ones photos when editing ?

Really appreciated.

Matt / PennPix

Try: Michael Ventura Alamy -site:alamy.com

The -site:alamy.com excludes Alamy itself. You do get the odd Alamy.de image though.

There's probably a syntax to exclude them both at the same time.

wim

8 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

The -site:alamy.com excludes Alamy itself. You do get the odd Alamy.de image though.

wim

Great advice Wim! Thanks!

1 hour ago, wiskerke said:

wim

Unfortunately I've just tried that and for some reason it excludes a number of my published images whilst, as Wim says, catching all the Alamy European language sites

3 hours ago, wiskerke said:

wim

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Unfortunately I've just tried that and for some reason it excludes a number of my published images whilst, as Wim says, catching all the Alamy European language sites

At my end a search string ending in -alamy.com - that is without the site: works better - and seems to solve the problem with other site names. Haven't tried everything, though.

In my opinion you have to search in a lot of different ways to find uses, which also includes Google Search by Image (extension with the little blue camera) - Google book searches  ( a Google text search - choose more - and books - probably only your name or pseudonym as you most often is credited by name), - various other text searches - and perhaps also the Tineye extension to the Firefox browser.

Niels

1 hour ago, Niels Quist said:

At my end a search string ending in -alamy.com - that is without the site: works better - and seems to solve the problem with other site names. Haven't tried everything, though.

In my opinion you have to search in a lot of different ways to find uses, which also includes Google Search by Image (extension with the little blue camera) - Google book searches  ( a Google text search - choose more - and books - probably only your name or pseudonym as you most often is credited by name), - various other text searches - and perhaps also the Tineye extension to the Firefox browser.

Niels

True.

Can one still search within Amazon Books somewhere? That used to be a good one too.

wim

16 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

True.

Can one still search within Amazon Books somewhere? That used to be a good one too.

wim

I don't know. I wasn't helped by searching for it. Would be nice to know, actually.

Niels

My Google search string looks like this.

(Pseudo1 OR Pseudo2) Alamy -www.alamy -de.alamy.com -Frames -dijitalimaj.com

I also use the Tools option in Google Chrome to restrict the date range to the last month to avoid looking through all the old usages I already know about.

Mark

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

My Google search string looks like this.

(Pseudo1 OR Pseudo2) Alamy -www.alamy -de.alamy.com -Frames -dijitalimaj.com

I also use the Tools option in Google Chrome to restrict the date range to the last month to avoid looking through all the old usages I already know about.

Mark

It helps if you have a relatively uncommon name, of course. 

9 hours ago, Sally said:

It helps if you have a relatively uncommon name, of course. 

Yes, if I search for "John Keates Alamy", google always asks "did you mean John Keats Alamy" :angry: No I meant what I searched for!!

John.

52 minutes ago, Stokie said:

Yes, if I search for "John Keates Alamy", google always asks "did you mean John Keats Alamy" :angry: No I meant what I searched for!!

John.

Ever thought of writing some poems? :)

What am I doing wrong? I type in Firstname Lastname Alamy - site:alamy.com and get what looks like a portion of our collection straight from the Alamy site. When I try it without the spaces in front of and behind the hypen, I get an error. And when I try Firstname Lastname Alamy-alamy.com, I get pretty much the same as with - site.alamy.com. Suggestions?

8 minutes ago, Janis D said:

What am I doing wrong? I type in Firstname Lastname Alamy - site:alamy.com and get what looks like a portion of our collection straight from the Alamy site. When I try it without the spaces in front of and behind the hypen, I get an error. And when I try Firstname Lastname Alamy-alamy.com, I get pretty much the same as with - site.alamy.com. Suggestions?

Tht's all the versions of Alamy other than the .com entity, like alamy.de, alamy.co.uk etc

On 26/06/2018 at 14:19, wiskerke said:

wim

Thank to Wim’s tip I found another usage I was very pleased with.  My photo of the winner of the London Marathon was used in the 2018 BAFTA Film Awards program in an advertising feature. (as were a couple of other Alamy photos.) 

3 hours ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

This works for me

Paul Lawrenson Alamy -site:alamy.com -site:alamy.it -site:alamy.pt -site:twitter.com -site:alamy.es -site:alamy.de -site:en-gb.facebook.com

you can add more sites as well

Great!

Alamy.fr seems to be alamyimages.fr

I leave both Facebook and Twitter in or even do a special search because you may get stuff you would never find otherwise.

wim

12 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Great!

Alamy.fr seems to be alamyimages.fr

I leave both Facebook and Twitter in or even do a special search because you may get stuff you would never find otherwise.

wim

That is true Wim.

After entering the modified search with my name all I get is two images at dijitalimaj which I believe is an Alamy distributor.

Allan

Some uselful minsuses to put in google

-site:www.rf123.com -site:www.alamy.com -site:www.pinterest.com -site:www.pinterest.co.uk -site:www.alamy.com -site:alamyimages.fr -site:de.alamy.com -site:alamy.es -site:alamy.de -www.alamyimages.fr -www.alamyimages.it alamy

6 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

That is true Wim.

After entering the modified search with my name all I get is two images at dijitalimaj which I believe is an Alamy distributor.

Allan

Yes adding -site:dijitalimaj.com will make them go away.

I once found an image on Twitter pointing to a short video on Facebook. The video showed a book launch party where guests were given books with an image of mine as the cover.

To search for a specific site: just use Alan Bell site:Twitter.com.

(Not all sites use www.)

wim

On 26/06/2018 at 14:19, wiskerke said:

wim

I took Wim’s string and added to it, which has worked eg Angela Chalmers Alamy - site:alamy.com -site:alamy.de -site:alamy.es -site:alamy.pt

Needs a bit more work to exclude all the alamy derivatives but you get the idea.

I tried using &&& as a wildcard but that didn’t work. I was trying to get to syntax which would exclude any alamy domain without having to list them all.

Thanks Wim 😄

Archived