Dangers of photographer

I take it as part and parcel of the role - it is why I very rarely do what I consider pure street photography in that I am shooting for myself and am prepared for it when doing editorial stuff.

It is the UK, and I take notice because these people will be out on Thursday drinking before, during and after the match and appear to have a strong view that I should not take photos and I suspect will try to prevent me.  I have to undertake a risk analysis to decide if I go or not and if so what precautions (a minder for example) I need to take.  On Sunday the crowd was several hundred strong with only about six police officers until reinforcements arrived.  I do not want to get on the wrong side of a mob.....

• Like 1

Sorry, I had assumed this was all at a distance. I didn't know you were on the spot.

Then it's starting to sound like a personal threat so maybe you should involve the police. You're entitled to do your work.

Where is this or would you rather not say?

Edited by spacecadet

8 minutes ago, IanDavidson said:

It is the UK, and I take notice because these people will be out on Thursday drinking before, during and after the match and appear to have a strong view that I should not take photos and I suspect will try to prevent me.  I have to undertake a risk analysis to decide if I go or not and if so what precautions (a minder for example) I need to take.  On Sunday the crowd was several hundred strong with only about six police officers until reinforcements arrived.  I do not want to get on the wrong side of a mob.....

Watch yourself and be careful, but do shoot it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Sorry, I had assumed this was all at a distance. I didn't know you were on the spot.

Then it's starting to sound like a personal threat so maybe you should involve the police. You're entitled to do your work.

Where is this or would you rather not say?

Brentwood, Essex, UK

Large scale disorder in Brentwood Essex, following England win in World Cup match

I often post photos from local and native nail news stories I cover as part of my marketing.  I have been doing this for years with no problem.  

Sadly, I am close to deciding to give in to the mindless holligans and not cover the inevitable disorder on Thursday post match.  

I coverd this yesterday

https://www.alamy.com/image-details-popup.asp?pv=1&stamp=2&liveData=1&imageid=4CF26881-55F8-4900-826A-5D92C2B77A95&p=undefined&n=undefined&imageType=0&orientation=0&pn=1&searchtype=0&srch=foo%3dbar%26qt%3dIan%20davidson%26aoa%3d1%26news%3d%26sports%3d%26entmt%3d%26Videos%3d%26bb%3d4%26md%3d%26dt%3d%26gid%3d%26destxml%3d%26imglst%3d%26orderby%3dDT%26newsseq%3d%26userid%3d%7BB11D7378%2DD8DF%2D4AC4%2D97F1%2DAF4D9D272A71%7D%26rand%3d1529985299170

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Chuck Nacke said:

It is much easier today then it was in the "Good Old Days"  Worked on the street

during all sorts of events and never had a real problem, keeping in mind that I

had my metal lens hoods filed down to a knife edge.  Let's talk Moscow,,,,

Keep in mind that I am a trained journalist, not a kid with a camera.

Chuck

Chuck.

i suspect I may have misinterpreted your comments but I am not “a kid with a camera”.  I am nearly sixty years old.....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IanDavidson said:

Please don't give in to the mob - once you do that, photo-journalism is finished.

Great pic, BTW.

Edited by Colblimp

15 hours ago, IanDavidson said:

mindless holligans and not cover the inevitable disorder on Thursday post match. 

As a news photographer , I'd be very wary of expressing such views about an event that is yet to happen. It suggests that you have an agenda ......

km

• Love 1

never mind the World Cup footie & some dubious followers, we have lots of fine tennis tournaments at the moment with the best of the season to start next week. The players and fans get a little excited from time to time, but I don't hear BELLENDS  being shouted often. Mind, Nick Kyrios mouthed a few ripe ones which the BBC found uncomfortable in their live coverage 

2 hours ago, Robert M Estall said:

never mind the World Cup footie & some dubious followers, we have lots of fine tennis tournaments at the moment with the best of the season to start next week. The players and fans get a little excited from time to time, but I don't hear BELLENDS  being shouted often. Mind, Nick Kyrios mouthed a few ripe ones which the BBC found uncomfortable in their live coverage 

Yep, I’ll be there one day next week. Not in the photographers’ lair, though. Up in the gods.

8 hours ago, RedSnapper said:

As a news photographer , I'd be very wary of expressing such views about an event that is yet to happen. It suggests that you have an agenda ......

km

It is not an agenda but an expectation.  The past two “celebrations” have resulted in the police having to close the High Street, deploy public order tactics, including a police dog, on standby and made arrests for assault and drug possession .  Last week police were pelted with bottles and glasses and forced to retreat until more police arrived.  I have spoken extensively with local police command and they and making robust public order contingencies for Thursday.   I have spoken to local pub owners who have had their licence put at risk due to the disorder. I spoke to local shop owners who had to close, (in one case sheltering frightened families)  I have received over fifty tweets from people apparently involved in the disorder (I recognise their picture or they state it in their tweet) containing vile abuse, most of which is unprintable.  I took many pictures of families and fans enjoying themselves until the disorder broke out but the pictures used were more newsworthy.  Had I taken video the racist chants, again unprintable would have bee apparent.  As the saying goes, you had to be there.  It also appears, from talking to locals that some of the disorder is preplanned, the provision of smoke bombs for example and the charge down the High Street at the end of the game linking up groups from several locations did not look spontaneous.  I am not the first person to use the term “preplanned”.To quote one local, “the High Street was left looking like a war zone with a carpet of broken glass, vomit and worse”.  There are several videos on YouTube etc supporting this narrative, some with comments supporting the disorder.  I spoke with a photographer in Downing Street yesterday who knows the area who said she was not surprised as there are a number of far right groups in the area who are using the World Cup celebrations.  I was not aware of this.  If true, it would explain a lot of the issues outlined above, but I am not in a position to comment.

So not an agenda but an expectation based on personal experience and considerable research.  I will not be there on Thursday as it has been made clear I will not be “welcome”  (in my own High Street) and my picture has been widely circulated on social media.  

I have thought about the valid comments above, I have a lot of respect for KM/reg etc but I think I stand by my comments given the behaviour of those involved their subsequent actions and my own research. I would be happy to be proved wrong as Brentwood is normally a nice town.  We will see what Thursday brings.

• Like 2

Is the value of the sales worth the value of your equipment and yourself? That's the only question I would ask myself. Yes you could say that you have the total right to be there and take photos but is it worth it. I think you have answered the questioned yourself by thinking of taking "hired help" so to speak

Just my thoughts

Personally, I wouldn't bother

Kevin