Dangers of photographer

9 minutes ago, sb photos said:

Ed, Pen is an experienced photojournalist who I very much doubt isn’t looking for a calm life. She was simply asking for advice for additional protection, which is logical if covering some French protests.

having literally walked into 2 protests last summer while on camino in south of France, and seeing how quick things escalated, i thought the question was extremely appropriate 

A helmet will provide some protection, but Larry Burrows never wore one. "I cannot afford the luxury of thinking about what could happen to me," he said. A good guy. Unfortunately, he stayed too long at the dance.

In those days, PJs had a number of cameras hanging on them, so helmets were a problem. I saw two PJs killed in Vietnam who were wearing helmets. One was hit in the neck, the other in the femoral artery in the leg. 

I've taken a bicycle fall (dog in the wheel) where my Bell helmet took the full force of me going headfirst into pavement.  Bell helmet didn't crack and I rode home since the dog's owner didn't want to call an ambulance.   Another alternative would be a rock climber's helmet.   Anything that looks like military issue might be more provocative than it's worth.  

Once a cop gets killed, sometimes even hurt, the other cops tend to become more aggressive, sometime extremely much so.  Is the press perceived to be supportive of the protestors, neutral, or pro-cops?    Apparently, as of November, 25 police have been killed during the year up until then. 

Chile: was a young woman murdered for photographing anti-government protests?

Albertina Martínez found dead two days after covering a protest in Santiago amid speculation she was targeted because of her job

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/dec/31/chile-photographer-albertina-martinez

On 29/12/2019 at 12:16, sb photos said:

Ed, Pen is an experienced photojournalist who I very much doubt isn’t looking for a calm life. She was simply asking for advice for additional protection, which is logical if covering some French protests.

Steve, I wasn't aiming that comment at anyone in particular -- just voicing a thought.