Well after months of effort uploading exclusive images here and re-keywording (the jury is out if that really makes a difference as the latest sold images here have not even had the keywords super tagged) I have had very poor returns, and any sales I made last month were less than a good sale on a microstock site. Sadly I may have to concede to make my exclusive images here available on other sites as they are just sitting here not earning.

4 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

Your jury maybe out Marb (no offence intended) but the jury isn't out overall. I've had images with no tags at all appear higher in results than those with supertags, but there is more to it than there used to be. It's not only about captions, tags and supertags, but activity on that particular image (that info is direct from Alamy). The facts are still what they always have been that you'll get OVERALL better results having supertags and captions of the most relevant words. It's not worth trying to understand the system and algorithms (believe me, I've spent hours trying and have given up).

I know you've heard it lots of times before, but the fact is that overall the fees at Alamy are far better than Microstock. Of course there are exceptions, and we all cringe when seeing some of the awful fees at Alamy now and then. It is surely better though than giving away the majority of the images you've worked hard at for pennies? I know that's an argument we've all had many times so maybe not for this thread, as we'll never all agree, and that's fine.  :)  I do think though that you're shooting yourself in the foot by putting the same images on Microstock as you have here.

Give it more time. Upload your best. Caption/tag/supertag well then wait many months. You need the sales to help your rank and to get sales you need the best images and need them to be found. Try to add images that others don't have, like maybe some small villages or towns with low populations that will have very few other images available. Be diverse if you aren't already, think out of the box, be imaginative. It's a very slow process as you know, but you either put up with it or don't bother at all. To me, it's worth bothering and worth being patient.

Just trying to help, not attacking like some do.

Geoff.

Thanks Geoff. It is refreshing to not be berated here I must say.

Also, someone gave me a red arrow for an earlier post in this thread for writing that I hadn't had a sale in 3 weeks? I don't understand, I thought that's what this thread was about "Quiet out There". Hmmmmm. I wasn't trying to be negative, just reporting the facts. I'm ever-hopeful and find this lull baffling, that is all.

1 minute ago, GS-Images said:

I was curious, so had a look at your tagging skills. I picked on a cute cat photo (I love kitties!) and thought I'd suggest adding some tags like.....Cats looking out, cats looking through a hole, cozy cats, comfy cats, cat in a box, box of cats, comfortable cats, cats resting.....I could go on forever! Of course all other ones for each to cover plural/singular, etc..

I know it won't help you much but as I took a peak, I thought I'd give my suggestions for that image, as my first thought was "oh some lovely kitties looking out of a hole", and saw you hadn't used those tags.  :)

Some seem to thrive on giving them for no reason. I've cancelled it with a green.

Geoff.

Thanks Geoff!! And actually I really appreciate the tagging advice - it's something I probably need to work harder at. Thanks also for the green !! :)

Sorry, but it's a good beginning of the month for me so far.

Numbers up and fees pretty good on the whole, though the one image that sold three times and brought the most money was deleted the next day because it deemed to be a mural 'out of context'

Just one sale up until the twelfth of the month had me very worried, but four have followed in two days. Still likely to be down on December and January which were positive months. February was a low month, and if March follows suit then it will definitely knock my confidence. 

So I'm not sure if I should bother trying to sell my photos online anymore. No sales or even zooms here yet.  I love photography, but am starting to  think the stock photo market is so saturated that my efforts in uploading, tagging etc are looking to be a potential giant waste of time. I understand there is someone mere with 27,000 images bye still not selling enough for the $50 threshold. Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

A $99 direct sale was invoiced today, plus zooms have picked up during the past few days. Some months the horse is just slow getting out of the gate...

glad to hear John!

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, andremichel said:

2018 still quiet for me. Only 2 small sales so far this month. 

Same for me, and I see we have similar numbers. I've taken my foot off the gas of Live News images assuming that a fair sized port would result in a fairly steady trickle of stock sales, but that doesn't seem to be the case now. Looks like I'll need to be getting out more.

13 minutes ago, Avpics said:

Same for me, and I see we have similar numbers. I've taken my foot off the gas of Live News images assuming that a fair sized port would result in a fairly steady trickle of stock sales, but that doesn't seem to be the case now. Looks like I'll need to be getting out more.

Likewise, only 2 sales this month.  Early days though, I live in hope....

I get the feeling that 10,000 is the new 3,000, which, for a while was regarded as the minimum for a steady trickle of sales, so many photos out there. Maybe 20,000 is becoming the new baseline?  Highly dependent upon an individual's collection/keywording of course.

35 minutes ago, Avpics said:

Alamy Live news just doesn't work for me. I have very rarely sold any weather or human interest images which is a shame because I do like getting out and about to local events.

7 minutes ago, Sultanpepa said:

Alamy Live news just doesn't work for me. I have very rarely sold any weather or human interest images which is a shame because I do like getting out and about to local events.

I sell a few, but in general I find that new images sell more frequently - whether as news or stock.

38 minutes ago, Bryan said:

I get the feeling that 10,000 is the new 3,000, which, for a while was regarded as the minimum for a steady trickle of sales, so many photos out there. Maybe 20,000 is becoming the new baseline?  Highly dependent upon an individual's collection/keywording of course.

I need to peddle faster then to stay still. Apart from a couple of dips sales/port were pretty steady in relation to port size culminating in a cracking January of nearly $1200 after reaching 10,000 images. Since then other things have taken priority and so sales have been more in equality to trips out rather than numbers of images in stock.

On 4/9/2018 at 05:53, Bryan said:

Likewise, only 2 sales this month.  Early days though, I live in hope....

Average for me with four sales so far (uninspiring prices, though). Zooms and CTR have both picked up considerably this month.

If 10K is the new 3K, I'm toast. B)

26 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Average for me with four sales so far (uninspiring prices, though). Zooms and CTR have both picked up considerably this month.

If 10K is the new 3K, I'm toast. B)

Sadly, I think it is the new 3K.  Actually I think I was doing better when I had 3K.  Financially that is, I have more sales....but would rather have more $$.

1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

Sadly, I think it is the new 3K.  Actually I think I was doing better when I had 3K.  Financially that is, I have more sales....but would rather have more $$.

That's a good point. At the rate I'm going, I won't hit 10K for at least another three years.

Fortunately, the trickle continues for the time being, and I'm still having some fun at this.

Archived