On a walk the other day I came across two dead deer, lying about 15 feet apart from each other in a field.  No apparent injuries or signs of attack, but their eyes had been pecked out.  A mystery how they died, and apparently together.  Little deterioration on their bodies.  I took some photos, but am not sure whether to upload them.  I cant quite see what they might be used for.  But there are some photos of dead animals on Alamy, though more typically in relation to road kill. Any thoughts about whether to bother uploading or not?

There may indeed be some uses.  Hey, they will probably sell more than the live deer shots I have.

I came across a decomposing deer carcass on a railroad track some years ago.  It was truly horrific and scary.  I couldn't bring myself to take a picture.

1 hour ago, Sally said:

On a walk the other day I came across two dead deer, lying about 15 feet apart from each other in a field.  No apparent injuries or signs of attack, but their eyes had been pecked out.  A mystery how they died, and apparently together.  Little deterioration on their bodies.  I took some photos, but am not sure whether to upload them.  I cant quite see what they might be used for.  But there are some photos of dead animals on Alamy, though more typiccaly in relation to road kill. Any thoughts about whether to bother uploading or not?

From memory, there was a whole thread revolving around assorted roadkill/dead animals about a year ago, some of which had sold I think.
There are evidently lots of photos of this sort up here, you certainly won't be alone in your endeavours Sally.
I spotted a drowned sheep last year, photos of which adorn these pages somewhere - however,  none have been either sold or zoomed.

52 minutes ago, Sally said:

yes, poisoning was my thought, and I did wonder about alerting someone - just didnt know who!  Thanks for the advice.

The SWT  0131 312 7765 might be able to advise, but I suspect they might tell you to contact SNH, https://www.nature.scot/about-snh/contact-us/area-offices

I have about 60 pix of dead animals: roadkill, washed on a beach, trapped in a spiderweb, death due to draught. Snakes, kangaroos, insects, cattle, mammals. I only ever sold one, an eagle trying to fly away with a dead bat.

Gen

59 minutes ago, RedSnapper said:

Have a look at Clive Landen's series of images

"Familar British Wildlife"

http://www.ffotogallery.org/familiar-british-wildlife-–-clive-landen

Yes, great series. Clive borrowed my big Gitzo tripod to photograph the deer. You can see the bottom of the legs in some of the big prints made.  The prints were made for the exhibition so the animals were all actual size. 

Well the photos are now on Alamy. I’ve been told that the person who owns the field had already contacted the police, who apparently came yesterday and moved them to a barn to await the attention of a wildlife officer. Here is one of the photos. Not too gruesome I hope.

close-up-of-dead-deer-head-lying-in-gras

I realised I did already have a dead animal in my portfolio, which I had forgotten about. It’s a dead chicken hanging as a warning to dog owners to keep them on the lead.

dead-chicken-hanging-upside-down-on-coun

Whether dead animals are saleable remains to be seen :)

Spent a week in Scotland trying to photograph a live Pine Marten a few years ago with no joy only this one.

Remains of European Pine Marten after a road kill

.F3JJ2E.jpg

But on a serious note, many years ago I saw two lads trying to attract a mute swan at the side of a pond in a disused quarry but they where too far away to take an image of them. It was only shortly later as I approached the swan that I noticed that the swan was laying dead in a pool of blood with a gun shot to its head for an air pistol and the two lads long gone. In those days I was using a Canon G6 and the images would not pass to-days Q.C. Reported the incident to the police but could not identify the culprits. If only.

Alan

Archived