11 hours ago, Rick Lewis said:

O.K., I'm posting my stats for all the people that are trying, like me, to develop a decent portfolio, and have a long way to go.  :D  Don't get discouraged, just work harder!!

1 Zoom

0 Sales

CTR of only 0.16 for the month.  Ugh!!!

However, I did receive a check for the sales I had in August and September!!  That was very gratifying since I only have around 500 images on-line presently.

Here's to a great DECEMBER!!!

Rick

What a fantastic attitude you have!  Keep up that enthusiasm and you'll be getting sales coming out of your ears soon!

12 hours ago, Colblimp said:

What a fantastic attitude you have!  Keep up that enthusiasm and you'll be getting sales coming out of your ears soon!

Thanks @Colblimp.  At this point thats all I can do.  I realize I am but just a drop of water in an ocean of better editorial stock images.

I have two goals for 2018.  One is to increase my total number of images available for licensing to 1,600 and the other is to produce images more attractive to buyers.  I know only adding 1,000 images doesn't sound like much when compared to many, many photographers here, but I have some challenges on getting out to shoot.

Actually, my biggest hurdle is to learn the trade.  This is so much more difficult than one would expect.  I was a studio (mainly) photographer in another life.  Editorial was my dream ( I grew up reading National Geographic, Life and the like), but never realized.  I am so grateful for some of the very open and honest photographers here that are providing help.  There are too many to name, but I'm sure you know them.  I lurk and read far more than I post here.  

I am very fortunate and blessed.  At this stage of my life, this is fun, and challenging, not stressful.  I don't need the income like some here.  In some ways I feel bad about that as I am helping to dilute their income stream, but at this stage they don't have to worry.  :D

Rick

Rick,

With regard to your comment that you have some challenges getting out to shoot.   May I make a couple of suggestions.

First, while you don't want too many similars, you also don't want too few.  For example, your photos KF1XMD of the old John Deere tractor and DK5MH4 of the CAT Dozer.  I would have taken front views of both, and a full size side view of the John Deere.  (Assuming that you could have gotten access for those views.).  I've had similar photos of equipment sell, though not for high prices.  In fact, six in November though all for $21.74 gross, 10.87 net.

Your photo KB230X of the pumpkins and gourds on sale could also have added a tighter shot from the front for just the pumpkins and just the gourds.  

I noticed several shots of signs in front of stores -- Taco Bell and Walmart come to mind.  But no shots of the store itself.  Perhaps you were unable to get out for the shot, but if not you were there anyway.  One or two wouldn't have hurt.

I'm not talking taking 5 or 6 slightly different views, but 3 or 4 very different views would go a long way towards getting your target of 1000 for next year.  Since you don't know the buyer's need, you can hardly select the one best shot.

While I don't do many shots of objects in the studio, I do see a lot on Alamy so perhaps some do have luck selling them.  Your studio background together with objects in the household  might be worth a try.

Good luck.

Robert

35 minutes ago, Robert Shantz said:

Rick,

With regard to your comment that you have some challenges getting out to shoot.   May I make a couple of suggestions.

First, while you don't want too many similars, you also don't want too few.  For example, your photos KF1XMD of the old John Deere tractor and DK5MH4 of the CAT Dozer.  I would have taken front views of both, and a full size side view of the John Deere.  (Assuming that you could have gotten access for those views.).  I've had similar photos of equipment sell, though not for high prices.  In fact, six in November though all for $21.74 gross, 10.87 net.

Your photo KB230X of the pumpkins and gourds on sale could also have added a tighter shot from the front for just the pumpkins and just the gourds.  

I noticed several shots of signs in front of stores -- Taco Bell and Walmart come to mind.  But no shots of the store itself.  Perhaps you were unable to get out for the shot, but if not you were there anyway.  One or two wouldn't have hurt.

I'm not talking taking 5 or 6 slightly different views, but 3 or 4 very different views would go a long way towards getting your target of 1000 for next year.  Since you don't know the buyer's need, you can hardly select the one best shot.

While I don't do many shots of objects in the studio, I do see a lot on Alamy so perhaps some do have luck selling them.  Your studio background together with objects in the household  might be worth a try.

Good luck.

Robert

Robert, thank you very much for your feedback!!  I am now seeing that I am too quick to shoot and leave.  Your suggestions will definitely help me meet my goal.  Just that 2-4 extra angles per subject will make a big difference.  One thing I am finding, watching the threads on "show your latest sale", is that you just never know what will sell.  It is astonishing to see some of the more totally mundane subject matter sell.  :-)  Of course there are some truly beautiful images being sold too.

Funny you should mention image KB230X.  I took that at our local Fresh Market and was confronted by the store manager.  You would have thought I was trying to sneak pictures of inside the CIA or something.  I got what I could take and left in that case.  But, you're right.  A couple different angles and perhaps a close up would have benefited me.

Thanks again,

Rick

14 sales from $3.41 (distributor) to $37.25, for only $227 gross.

Sales about average but revenue low (lowest for the last 12 months).

Surpassed last year's figures for both revenue and sales.

Views a record for the month, but zooms down.

6 sales already in December for $229 so looking good.

John.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived