Sale yes, zoom - no....

Sold a photo yesterday which as far as I can see was never zoomed (certainly not in the last six/seven months anyway).
Neither has it sold previously, so not a repeat sale.

Pleased with the sale, but confused nonetheless.
Is this a regular occurrence? Am I just not paying enough attention?

:)

5 minutes ago, TeeCee said:

Sold a photo yesterday which as far as I can see was never zoomed (certainly not in the last six/seven months anyway).

Happens all the time to me. Right now I've had tons of zooms but, unfortunately, it is common for my zooms not to result in sales.

Paulette

2 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Happens all the time to me. Right now I've had tons of zooms but, unfortunately, it is common for my zooms not to result in sales.

Paulette

Hmmm, only been here since 2003, p'raps about time I paid more attention ....

3 minutes ago, vpics said:

Most of my sales have never been zoomed.

Well done on your sale. Hope you got a decent price. 

'Fraid not, just $25.

Still, a sale is a sale ....

27 minutes ago, TeeCee said:

HI TeeCee

Remember that the views/zooms in Alamy Measures which we see are only those looked at by a subset of Alamy buyers (their "regular group"). There are many more buyers out there whose activity is not reflected in measures, so it could have been zoomed and bought by one of them. Also, the customer who bought it may not necessarily have zoomed it...

Best,

Kumar (the Doc one)

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

HI TeeCee

Remember that the views/zooms in Alamy Measures which we see are only those looked at by a subset of Alamy buyers (their "regular group"). There are many more buyers out there whose activity is not reflected in measures, so it could have been zoomed and bought by one of them. Also, the customer who bought it may not necessarily have zoomed it...

Best,

Kumar (the Doc one)

This is what I have always thought......so I was a little surprised / annoyed to have an image zoomed and then licenced on the same day this week...... as a "personal use".......

20 minutes ago, Martyn said:

This is what I have always thought......so I was a little surprised / annoyed to have an image zoomed and then licenced on the same day this week...... as a "personal use".......

Yes, I've had my first instance of that this week. As yet it doesn't turn up on a reverse image search, so may be genuine. I might never know.

I also noticed, lately, that many sales are not a result of a zoom... Might be that the buyer zoomed previously or a distributor sale... or simply that the buyer could chose a photograph from a thumbnail? Who knows?

I have been trying to figuring the whole process: ratio of views / zooms / sales etc... by checking daily number of views / zooms / sales and inputting everything in an Excel sheet... comparing nr of zooms in the past 3 months vs sales...

Unfortunatly, I didn't find the formula yet...

Anyway, I should spend more time shooting and improving my photography than making Excel sheets...

5 hours ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

So what would happen to your ranking if your current ctr is 0, no zooms but have a sale? :huh:

CTR is only one of the items used for ranking calculations. 

Other factors are used. Sale price is one. Only Alamy know the others.

Gen

• 1 month later...
On 10/06/2017 at 12:09, NYCat said:

The mouseover zooms do not count as zooms and when that was first implemented we did see fewer zooms. It has been that way for a long time now.

Paulette

Not sure we are talking about the same thing Paulette? I'm thinking of the preview facility. Is that what you meant?

Richard

3 minutes ago, Richard Tadman said:

Not sure we are talking about the same thing Paulette? I'm thinking of the preview facility. Is that what you meant?

Richard

No. A preview is a zoom. I was talking about being able to see the larger size without clicking. If someone clicks on the thumbnail to get the preview that will be counted as a zoom--assuming they are one of the regular clients who appear in our statistics.

Paulette

On 6/10/2017 at 21:40, GS-Images said:

Not many of my sales are ever zoomed. Some clients' zooms don't show up as they aren't regular clients, plus some put the image into a lightbox rather than zooming (so I read somewhere recently).

Zooms from lightboxes indeed do not show.

Some clients have their own system of keeping a bunch of possible illustrations together until deciding. Then they tend to use the Alamy ref# as a search term. Unfortunately these searches and zooms are filtered out now, so we never see these searches by ref# any more. They used to make up quite a large part of all searches.

It also showed clients either did not know how to use a lightbox. Or they preferred their own method. Which of course would allow mixing images from different agencies.

Then there's a third possibility: if a zoom is for a different keyword than the sale, it will not show up as a zoomed sale.

And even a fourth reason: the time between the zoom and the sale may be too long and then the information has been lost. I seem to remember Alamy stated 3 months as the max.

There may be more.

wim

Archived