Something significant has happened with AIM today

However, more importantly  there have been changes in the order of images in the searches within my pseudonym - which lead me to wonder whether Alamy have finally managed to give Supertags a special importance which they haven't really had till now - and may explain why Geoffs' images are now much better placed, as I believe he has been continuing to use the supertags in the correct way -

More investigation needs to be done, and also of course it could all get put back again in the next database change later today!

Kumar (the Doc one)

My images are still generally coming up on the same pages and often on page 1 but the main difference for me is the change in the order of images within my pseudos.  Pre 05/12 I had the images keyworded so that my best ones came up early (within my own pseudo) in a search.  Everything changed with the shuffle in December so I re tagged to get my best images back to the front.  These are now way back and they include some good sellers.  I give up.

Pearl

However, more importantly  there have been changes in the order of images in the searches within my pseudonym - which lead me to wonder whether Alamy have finally managed to give Supertags a special importance which they haven't really had till now - and may explain why Geoffs' images are now much better placed, as I believe he has been continuing to use the supertags in the correct way -

More investigation needs to be done, and also of course it could all get put back again in the next database change later today!

Kumar (the Doc one)

My images are still generally coming up on the same pages and often on page 1 but the main difference for me is the change in the order of images within my pseudos.  Pre 05/12 I had the images keyworded so that my best ones came up early (within my own pseudo) in a search.  Everything changed with the shuffle in December so I re tagged to get my best images back to the front.  These are now way back and they include some good sellers.  I give up.

Pearl

me too...

Kumar (the Doc one)

I too see higher image placement generally and especially for supertags (which had previously resulted in images at the back of the pack).

Today, I see BHZ working very well in terms of relative rank.  Using supertags I have my best pseudo images on page 3, modest pseudo images on page 9/10.  My poorest pseudo has images on page 12 and 19 out of 25.

The direction is correct and as it should be.

I'll see in the next days what the story is for tags and captions.

Sorry but, what do you mean when you write BHZ?  :unsure:

Try searching the forum for BHZ and you'll find lots about it. It used to be a way of trying to discover your Alamy rank (put BHZ as a super tag on just one image). Wait 24 hours, then search for BHZ on Alamy and note where your image appears relative to all the others playing the BHZ game. In recent times the results are all over the place, and Alamy have always said it's not a sensible test, but I have found it useful in the past.

Thank you! I'll try it  :)

My BHZ image is now on page one. Page two a few days ago. Does not make sense as my views, zooms etc are down and this month sales are non-existent. :(

Allan

This is the first time I have added BHZ to any of my images with the following results

Image 1 with BHZ as supertag - page 11

image 2 with BHZ in caption - page 25

image 3 with BHZ as just a tag - page 29

31 pages of BHZ

My conclusion is that supertags are very important compared to captions which are in turn slightly more important than normal tags.

Incidentally all 3 images are taken in Phuket Town. If I search for "old phuket town" image 3 is on the first page position 16, image 2 is in position 54 on page 1 and image 1 is in position  51 on page 2.

Can anyone enlighten me on what this indicates about my rank?

Out of interest I will now switch to the following and see what happens tomorrow

Image 1 with BHZ as just a tag

image 2 with BHZ as supertag

image 3 with BHZ in caption

Kevin

This is the first time I have added BHZ to any of my images with the following results

31 pages of BHZ

My conclusion is that supertags are very important compared to captions which are in turn slightly more important than normal tags.

Incidentally all 3 images are taken in Phuket Town. If I search for "old phuket town" image 3 is on the first page position 16, image 2 is in position 54 on page 1 and image 1 is in position  51 on page 2.

Out of interest I will now switch to the following and see what happens tomorrow

Kevin

Would also be interesting to see results of BHZ in caption + supertag, as well as BHZ in caption + tag

31 pages of BHZ

Kevin

Would also be interesting to see results of BHZ in caption + supertag, as well as BHZ in caption + tag

Yes I did think of doing this so I have now added:

image 4 with caption and supertag 

image 5 with caption and tag

Kevin

31 pages of BHZ

Kevin

Kevin

If you are adding BHZ to more than one image in the same pseudo they will be affected by the diversity algorithm (or whatever it's called) which is why we are only supposed to put it in one image per pseudo.  However if you are putting it in different pseudos then it will be affected by rank.  IMHO the only accurate way to do the test is to have ONE image and keep making changes each time the site updates.

Pearl

As my post said.....

"Adding a phrase to a caption where the words are already tags or supertags improves placement. I have also seen that captions have the exact same weight as supertags. So the best bet is to have both".

Geoff.

Makes perfect sense to me i.e. "keywords" in captions backed up as either tags or supertags equals even more relevance thus better placement.

I am totally confused. The 31 pages is the default of 100 per page. In the past we have  used 120 per page which is 26 pages. I shall use the image number to avoid confusion.

Pseudo       Position         Position                Position

Creative         Relavant               New

dm               395                   396                       80

mw             1,089                1,094                    759

dmC           1,210               1,218                     344

dmIn          1,241                1,256                     457

dmIs          1,273                 1,273                    532

dmS          1,430                 1,556                  1,342

I find it difficult to get my head round why there are such significant differences between the ranking of the same image between the different categories/filters. 

What criteria are we to use for future BHZ posts i.e. 100 or 120 images per page and new, relevant or creative as a filter??

dov

I've just joined in again, and with a Supertag only am on page 12 of 31 (RM + RF, 100/page). For RM only, page 11 of 30. RM only, 120/page, gives 9 of 25. So about the same as I used to be, given that some pseudos now have multiple entries and others have dropped out.

I've just joined in again, and with a Supertag only am on page 12 of 31 (RM + RF, 100/page). For RM only, page 11 of 30. RM only, 120/page, gives 9 of 25. So about the same as I used to be, given that some pseudos now have multiple entries and others have dropped out.

RF should be taken out of BHZ searches as they are (or were) treated differently by the Alamy search engine

Kumar (the Doc one)

Hi All

Just had a look interesting images are appearing in searches that have NOTHING to do with the search term used????? also the new mix is strange buyers are going to be confused.

This needs tweaking so results are at least what you expect .

Regards

Jon

Strange you should say that. A few days ago, a search which appeared in my results was 'Space Station Interior'.  The image which appeared? The interior of Coventry Bus Station.  Go figure!

RF should be taken out of BHZ searches as they are (or were) treated differently by the Alamy search engine

Kumar (the Doc one)

I don't think RF is treated differently any more. I include it. It may be under-reported in BHZ for historic reasons. And most agencies do not have BHZ images.

When page=100 arrived, I have set my page to 100 and I have stopped counting in pages, but have recorded the exact location. Now very easy because I only have to count the location on a page and add the page count -1.

If you think RF is treated differently, exchange [one of] your RM BHZ image for an RF one.

wim

Be careful what you wish for.  Yes supertags work now, and how.  What a difference from regular tags!

Top Pseudo: page 3 to page 22

Middle Pseudo: page 9 to page 23

Bottom Pseudo: page 12/19 to page 24.

BHZ, Relevant, RM only, 120/page.

Having two images per pseudo gives me an idea of the spread due to the randomization algorithm.  At this point one image would do since they are all within a line or two of each other.

It will take me a few days to test out all the other permutations.

Hi All

Just had a look interesting images are appearing in searches that have NOTHING to do with the search term used????? also the new mix is strange buyers are going to be confused.

This needs tweaking so results are at least what you expect .

Regards

Jon

Strange you should say that. A few days ago, a search which appeared in my results was 'Space Station Interior'.  The image which appeared? The interior of Coventry Bus Station.  Go figure!

I guess you must have "station" and "interior" in your keywords and the search engine got desperate when it couldn't find many exact matches. Lots of other stations of all kinds and other odd matches come up in the search results for "space station interior".

I'm happy, for the moment at least!

Since the new AIM, i had started around #40 then slowly slid to #350 or so on my principal test search. I am now back to #28 and my second pseudonym has improved from around #250 to around #40. It just now needs to convert to sales!

Put simply over the past two days my photographs are finishing much higher in searches again.

What ever changes have been made (if any) has helped me. Along with some daily zooms again.

Lets see.

Many of my photographs had disappeared from pages 1-5. Now they are back om 1 & 2

Happier  :)

Taking the tag out of the caption has put my image down from 1 to 19. Still super+tag. I've always had fairly comprehensive (remember them?) captions so not much work to do.

However I may have skewed it by including another bhz supertag in an image from my other, good, pseudo, p8.

31 pages of BHZ

Kevin

Kevin

Follow up BHZ results as follows which is pretty conclusive

Image 1 with BHZ as just a tag         Page 30, position 1

image 2 with BHZ as supertag          Page 12, position 45

image 3 with BHZ in caption only      Page 25, position 3

image 4 with caption and supertag   Page 2, position 3

image 5 with caption and tag            Page 5, position 85

Can anyone comment about where rank comes into play in all this?

Kevin

Archived