Only available on Alamy?

Here is Alamy's explanation in their help pages:

Only available on Alamy

1. Let us know if this image is only available on Alamy. This information can help if a customer enquires about an exclusive licence or if we need to chase an infringement

Jill

Only available on Alamy

1. Let us know if this image is only available on Alamy. This information can help if a customer enquires about an exclusive licence or if we need to chase an infringement

Jill

Yes, I read that. Still not totally sure what it means, though.

Only available on Alamy

Jill

I would assume that it simply makes it easier for Alamy to negotiate for an exclusive licence if they know the image is not available anywhere else as they would have the sales history of the image.  Same for infringement. If Alamy is the only outlet, then they would know that it was worth chasing an infringement as it obviously came from Alamy and not another Agency.

Don't think their are any other reasons.

Jill

Only available on Alamy

Jill

I would assume that it simply makes it easier for Alamy to negotiate for an exclusive licence if they know the image is not available anywhere else as they would have the sales history of the image.  Same for infringement. If Alamy is the only outlet, then they would know that it was worth chasing an infringement as it obviously came from Alamy and not another Agency.

Don't think their are any other reasons.

Jill

So, if infringement-chasing is involved, then I guess images that we have posted anywhere else on the web -- POD sites, blogs, personal websites, etc. -- would be considered to be available elsewhere. It's not just other agencies.

And if images are available via the distributor scheme, the box can't be ticked presumably.

Gareth

I have assumed that any image that I have personally uploaded to Alamy and no other agency qualifies for the 'Only available on Alamy box'.  It would be quite ridiculous for any other interpretation of this box to be applied.

However, like your good self, my pedantic mind insists that, since Alamy makes my images available through distributors, that 'only available on Alamy' condition, cannot possibly be held to be true.

It would be most helpful if Alamy could clarify this, before we have irritated clients asking why we are telling fibs about our images ONLY being available on Alamy when they can find them in multiple agencies.  

We really need some clarity from Alamy on this one. If it is about infringements then POD sites and my own website would surely matter. If it is about offering unique licensing then it wouldn't.

Also - will there be a search filter for 'only on Alamy' images for buyers? Is it really worth my time going through over 9000 images and working out which are not with other agencies?

We really need some clarity from Alamy on this one. If it is about infringements then POD sites and my own website would surely matter. If it is about offering unique licensing then it wouldn't.

Also - will there be a search filter for 'only on Alamy' images for buyers? Is it really worth my time going through over 9000 images and working out which are not with other agencies?

On the odd times I have had exclusive licence sales Alamy have contacted me to check whether it had been licenced elsewhere, or might be in the future.

On the odd times I have had exclusive licence sales Alamy have contacted me to check whether it had been licenced elsewhere, or might be in the future.

yes it is highly probable that this is what the field is intended for but I think we need to know for certain. Its actually quite a lot of work to go through too, just on the off chance of an exclusive license. I answer my emails very fast anyway!

I've never been contacted about exclusive use. If I were, I'd just do the same as you. Still too confused to check the box...

I've been contacted a few time for exclusive use and I still don't understand it. I'd presume it depends on how exclusive the license might be. Some might be exclusive for all media in all industries while others might only be exclusive for one particular industry or use. I once asked a Sales Rep but never received a definitive answer. She did indicate that if the image was licensed exclusively I'd have to remove it, and any sister images, from any other agency or my website. I presume that would include POD sites as well.

A number of years ago I licensed an image for a six week exclusive and they didn't ask me to remove it from my website. I guess it varies from one client to another.

The mouse-over help text next to the checkbox states "check this box if this image is only available on Alamy".

It might sound picky, but from my point of view you can still tick this box if you have the same image on a POD site. On a POD site it's not your image which is available (for sale), but only prints of your image.

I like this checkbox, but how I'm surprised Alamy introduced this while at the same time they recommend to choose RF as license model. Neither easy infringement chasing nor exclusive use really fit to RF.

The way I see it, this is the way Alamy trying to gain a competitive edge over zillions of other photos on millions of other websites. Hope there is a filter button somewhere that will allow clients only see unique offerings from Alamy. 

"It might sound picky, but from my point of view you can still tick this box if you have the same image on a POD site. On a POD site it's not your image which is available (for sale), but only prints of your image."

Some POD sites optionally provide image licensing in addition to prints and other products - FAA for one.  You even set your own prices.

I wonder, whether those of us who only sell through Alamy could ask Image Management to tick all our images, if we are going to stay that way?

Kumar

I've been thinking the same thing. That would be great!

Virtually all my images that I uploaded to Alamy are available ONLY on Alamy AND my own website.

It would be very helpful to know if that means I could accurately check the Exclusively on Alamy box for those images.

- Ann

I wonder, whether those of us who only sell through Alamy could ask Image Management to tick all our images, if we are going to stay that way?

Kumar

I was thinking of emailing them and asking if they could do this for me too. But then I thought they must be crazy busy at the moment, so I didn't bother them. I'm going one by one and choosing categories and ticking the 'only on Alamy' box manually.

• 2 weeks later...

Kumar

I was thinking of emailing them and asking if they could do this for me too. But then I thought they must be crazy busy at the moment, so I didn't bother them. I'm going one by one and choosing categories and ticking the 'only on Alamy' box manually.

Presumably if you are only selling on Alamy they reward you with a better price of some sort? Is the price differential worth the exclusivity?

Virtually all my images that I uploaded to Alamy are available ONLY on Alamy AND my own website.

It would be very helpful to know if that means I could accurately check the Exclusively on Alamy box for those images.

- Ann

I asked this question and if you have any image elsewhere, even your own website, then it should not be marked as Alamy exclusive.

Allan

Archived