October 2016 Challenge - River

MDM

Hmmm, first timer here. How do I add images to a post here? Tried dragging and dropping (jpegs) and each time I get the following message...

"You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community."

Do i need to upload these somewhere, then use a URL?

What am I doing, or more correctly, not doing?

Thanks in advance!

:(

Find your image in the main collection by searcing on the Alamy reference, click on it if you want the larger version, right click and copy image. Paste into the reply box. Put in a couple of carriage returns to separate them.

Many thanks - off to give this a try...

:)

A narrowboat on the River Avon, at Bidford.

a-narrowboat-reflected-in-the-waters-of-

A crumbling boat hidden in the reeds beside the River Teign.

a-boat-almost-completely-buried-in-reeds

And finally, my ageing old terrier on a rock in the River Arrow.

a-small-terrier-stands-on-a-rock-in-the-

New bridge over the Mosel at Rißbach, Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany

new-b53-road-bridge-on-the-mosel-river-a

A swan duffing up a labrador, Shoulder of Mutton Pond, Wanstead Park, London. (The pond is fed by a stream and runs into the Roding- river enough for me!)

wanstead-park-london-uk-sunday-10-may-20

Oriental Pearl tower and Pudong skyscrapers seen fron the Bund at night, Huangpu river, Shanghai. Turn left for the Yangtze.

oriental-pearl-tower-and-pudong-skyscrap

riverside-pilgrimage-gandak-river-sonepu

1. From birth till death, life in rural India is enmeshed with the flow of holy riverine waters. There are celebrations & pilgrimages galore around these very many pious rivers. Here is a composition at dawn, at the 'Gandak' river in Sonpur (Bihar, India), where a month-long 'cattle festival' peaks on the November full-moon day (locally called "Kartik Poornima"), and thousands of folk pilgrims & some of their domesticated elephants bathe together at the the 'auspicious hour'. A 'contre jour' shot from the river bank. Sunday, 21st November, 2010. Fujichrome Velvia 50ASA.

elephant-pilgrims-sonepur-sonpur-cattle-

2. Same as first picture, shot towards the river bank, from atop a boat. The multitude of colorfully-attired pilgrims.

the-indian-elephant-elephas-maximus-wild

3. Switching to a 'dusk' shot from the two 'dawn' ones above. A cow Indian elephant (Elephas maximus) wades through the shimmering waters of the 'Ramganga' river at dusk, at Corbett National Park & Tiger Reserve, India. April, 1995. Ektachrome 200ASA. Elephant herds don't only inhabit the forests & grassland at Corbett Park, but they also provide a natural migratory corridor for their annual migration.

Kumar, India

Good topic Mick! Here are my three

The Pemigawasset River, New Hampshire USA in autumn:

the-pemigewasset-river-in-autumn-by-the-

Sunset on the Irrawaddy River at Mandalay, Myanmar

late-afternoon-scene-on-the-irrawaddy-ay

Early morning mist on the River Thames at Wallingford, Oxfordshire:

a-man-walking-early-morning-beside-the-r

Kumar 

Great idea - so many terrific images so far. Tough competition, but I may as well throw my hat in the ring. I just uploaded one more today that will be my third. Have enjoyed seeing all those uploaded so far. 

Thought my British pals here would enjoy this view of the Thames River in New London, Connecticut :

new-london-connecticut-usa-july-7-2012-t

Gullfoss Waterfall on the Hvita River, Iceland:

gullfoss-waterfall-on-the-golden-circle-

happy-man-sailing-small-dinghy-swan-rive

Sailor on the Swan River, Perth, Western Australia

jungle-perch-kuhlia-rupestris-in-pool-be

Jungle perch in pool below waterfall, Taveuni, Fiji

snowmelt-streams-running-down-slopes-of-

Top of the catchment: snowmelt on Volcan Lanin, Argentina

The phrase 'Done to death' was invented for Pulteney Bridge in Bath, but hey, it was a pilgrimage. I photographed it back in 1974 and going back last Sunday for the first time in decades, I had to do it again. The bridge hasn't changed a bit, but the tech in my hands definitely had...

pulteney-bridge-bath-uk-H3RBAH.jpg

This image has been in four gallery shows, was on loan to the NY State Thruway Authority, and I just delivered a metal print to a buyer last week, so it's out for personal use, but the Tappan Zee Bridge will be gone in the next few years, so given the historic significance, it seemed like one that should be on Alamy, and this contest spurred me to finally upload it, so thanks. I love lighthouses but hadn't visited this one although it's about 20 minutes from my home, until two years ago. I always think of lighthouses on the sound or ocean, but this one is on the Hudson River. 

Pulteney Bridge in Bath has been standing strong since the 1700's. Gorgeous image deserving of a greenie! The Tappan Zee Bridge was built in the 1950's and it's in such bad shape that it is being replaced at a cost of $3.9 Billion (if it stays on budget), then the old one will be taken down. So much for modern engineering - or was it the builders who cut corners? The State that neglected it for too long? The battered little Tarrytown Lighthouse is also slated to get a facelift soon. 

tarrytown-lighthouse-aka-kingsland-point

This image has been in four gallery shows, was on loan to the NY State Thruway Authority, and I just delivered a metal print to a buyer last week, so it's out for personal use, but the Tappan Zee Bridge will be gone in the next few years, so given the historic significance, it seemed like one that should be on Alamy, and this contest spurred me to finally upload it, so thanks. I love lighthouses but hadn't visited this one although it's about 20 minutes from my home, until two years ago. I always think of lighthouses on the sound or ocean, but this one is on the Hudson River. 

Pulteney Bridge in Bath has been standing strong since the 1700's. Gorgeous image deserving of a greenie! The Tappan Zee Bridge was built in the 1950's and it's in such bad shape that it is being replaced at a cost of $3.9 Billion (if it stays on budget), then the old one will be taken down. So much for modern engineering - or was it the builders who cut corners? The State that neglected it for too long? The battered little Tarrytown Lighthouse is also slated to get a facelift soon. 

tarrytown-lighthouse-aka-kingsland-point

An interesting post, thanks. And thanks for the greenie!

I humbly submit my images to this fine collection of river pics!

the-north-saskatchewan-river-near-its-he

The North Saskatchewan River near its headwaters in Banff National Park

dusk-view-of-the-milk-river-flowing-thro

The Milk River on a late spring evening in the Badlands of Alberta

clayton-falls-near-bella-coola-british-c

Clayton Falls near Bella Coola, British Columbia

Thanks

Chris

Archived