The State of Things?

I think we are all caught in a, record different things and different locations, mode. Things and locations are available in abundance, so we see mostly declining revenue because of increased competition, and lower prices.

One way to break out of this mode, might be to capture more emotion with our photography.

For example, if a historic building is old and full of ghosts, and scary, make it look that way. Don’t bother to photograph it on a bright sunny day.

In my days as a photo editor the editorial team always had a concept in mind when choosing a photograph for publication. Even the Saskatchewan shot in the Beautiful Canada Calendar had to have the feeling of the endless prairie, the big sky. You had to feel the prairie wind, the endless fields of wheat, the freedom of the wide open spaces, the distant storm. Seeing solitary farmhouses 90 miles away. The sense of awe when driving all day on a road that never seemed to change, and went straight to infinity. The small lonely train moving across the horizon. If it was for a winter month the image better look cold. If you can, read some poetry about the place you will be photographing.

The image chosen would not be because it was a particular location or thing in Saskatchewan. It would be chosen because the editorial team agreed that the chosen image captured a land where people sat small on the landscape. The Big Lonely. Think David Lean’s first shot of the desert in the movie “Lawrence of Arabia”.

More poetry, more emotion.

Here is my attempt of capturing an emotional sense of place. Something that a Saskatchewan farmer would relate to. Edit: cleared up some run on sentences.

swathed-grain-curing-in-the-fields-at-ha

I think we are all caught in a, record different things and different locations, mode. Things and locations are available in abundance, so we see mostly declining revenue because of increased competition, and lower prices.

One way to break out of this mode, might be to capture more emotion with our photography.

Absolutely, I will be coming back to stock photography, I recognise for it to be worthwhile my photographs will have to be more than found images. They will need a story, an idea or indeed, an emotion; stock pictures need a purpose. And as KM and others have said professional (stock) photography is about access, permission, engagement - the photographer needs to work at it, and seek more than a simple found image that anyone could take. Engagement and seeking permission may be discomforting but is actually rewarding; I recently had to ask (in French even!) for permission to take photographs in museums for magazine article(s) I am writing. Step out from the crowd!

I enjoy the words and pictures route as it forces me to more fully engage with the subject, to properly understood the topic.

For me, the state of things on Alamy has been pretty good so far this year. After a big slump in sales and revenue last year, I've surpassed my 2015 numbers. The trend does seem to be lower prices and higher volume. Hopefully the latter will help compensate for the former.

For me, the state of things on Alamy has been pretty good so far this year. After a big slump in sales and revenue last year, I've surpassed my 2015 numbers. The trend does seem to be lower prices and higher volume. Hopefully the latter will help compensate for the former.

I notice you're described as "Part of the forum furniture". I wonder how many posts that requires? 5,000?

Congratulation on becoming part of the furniture...

I notice you're described as "Part of the forum furniture". I wonder how many posts that requires? 5,000?

Congratulation on becoming part of the furniture...

Hahaha!

+1

wim

I passed last years total sales in numbers a couple of months ago, which I should be really pleased about.  However, average price per sale has dropped from £71.34 in 2015 to £34.60 this year - under half!  Mainly due to 4 three figure sales in 2015 and only one so far this year.  Fingers crossed!

Well done John on becoming 'a part of the forum furniture' - I think?! :)

Sales 92% but Revenue only 45% of 2015 figures.

2015 - 98 for $4821 (RPI $49)

​2016 - 90 for $2187 (RPI $24)

​I've had year on year increases in revenue for the 9 years i've been with Alamy - but not this year.

John.

At 72% of last year's sales in terms of revenue, but only 66% as many sales, so price per sale is actually up this year. (Notwithstanding a personal use sale in August of an image that Alamy licensed for me last year for $400, very few tiny value sales this year). With the last quarter of the year left, and with October through December usually being my best quarter by a long-shot, I'm cautiously optimistic. Hope my optimism is rewarded  B) Hope we all have a great last quarter! 

Year on year.

2015  =  100% quantity sales = 100% price per image

2016  =  240% quantity sales = 70% price per image.

Allan

Archived