New (lower) minimum price?

Perhaps it's whether you are in the newspaper scheme ?

If you are photos available from £4.99 and £9.99 otherwise ?

Could be. This (USD) is what I see here in Canada:

Presentation

$ 14.99
Website
$ 44.99
Magazine
$ 99.99
Marketing package: Small business
$ 59.99
Marketing package: Large business
$ 199.99

What I see in Tenerife, Spain!!!

"Choose a license from the list below that suits your needs.

Presentation £ 9.99
Website £ 29.99
Magazine £ 79.99
Marketing package: Small business £ 39.99
Marketing package: Large business £ 149.99
Or choose a royalty-free license
Quick and simple checkout - no credits, no subscriptions, no need to register!
Download"

I'd expect to see price in Euros, local currency. I'm not hiding my ip address through a proxy so they should know where I am.

Phil

This thread must be quite illuminating to any buyers wandering by . . .

dd

I wonder whether alamy has any control on distributors pricing deals with thier customers. If a distributor decided to do buy 1 get one free has alamy any recourse? If not we could end up giving photos for free. Alamy..... do you have any say on their deals?

Kevin

Alamy is now more like this:

We lose money on every sale, but make it up on volume

Say no more!

Rolf

(who is losing interest in the whole stock busines including Alamy)

Nice David Bowie pic Rolf and 1970s portraits i.e. Pippi Longstocking author.  I loved that book.  

Interesting collection!

Kathy

I sympathise with Rolf's view.

I recently took the decision and I am now working towards stock photography being incidental to other work. It is not fun and even less rewarding so I might as well concentrate on my personal work (my "art"), documentary (which I enjoy even if returns are low) and especially my writing which makes money with much less capital investment. With a bit of luck my personal and documentary work will sell as commercial or into markets other than generic editorial.

It takes discipline as it is easy to get sucked back in to shooting stock as it is easy and it provides an illusion that I am working. I need to properly let it go and really work at the, initially at least, at the longer term stuff. Harder work but more personally satisfying, if not immediately rewarding. It is why I took last year's sabbatical, to think it though, no need to live it.

I will continue to take and upload occasional batches of stock as and when I find it. But I am no longer going to go looking for it.

This might explain the lower prices I have seen for ALL my sales this month. Really not impressed - Alamy needs photographers to survive but there does come a point when we all might as well all move over to microstock and at least get a better volume of sales to make up for the appalling sales prices.

Yes Callie,  we hear you, but the real question is doing the archives really care?,  i must say that Alamy  in general is getting better fees for me than most others although not enough to live on,  not by along shot.

Every contributor here could stop sending in their material and Alamy as others will survive because they already have the numbers.

Years ago a image archive CEO told me that being in stock is no different than gambling, and if you want to make money get a proper job.

Have a good weekend,

Paul.

Paul, actually another agency that we share is currently doing much better for me than Alamy and with lower numbers  :)  It isn't totally a question of A already having numbers - contributors come and also go and take their work with them. But I stay - because I still like A more than anywhere else and do hope that in the end they will continue and maybe even improve.

Paul, actually another agency that we share is currently doing much better for me than Alamy and with lower numbers  :)  It isn't totally a question of A already having numbers - contributors come and also go and take their work with them. But I stay - because I still like A more than anywhere else and do hope that in the end they will continue and maybe even improve.

I'm sorry Callie, but for the life of me I can't see how we'll-all-be-rooned threads (DuckDuckGo is your friend) like this, in the public domain remember, are going to help Alamy, and therefore by association, help us.

And please, calls for the forum to be private etc etc etc are at this stage irrelevant--it's public, and all this negativity is public too.

For all the buyers out there, I'd like to point out that I have images with Alamy that truly discerning buyers might like to look at (please), images that have attracted significant fees in the past and which still represent outstanding value, being that they are not your usual run-of-the-mill pics :) 

dd

Not quite sure how you read that as a "we'll-all-be-rooned thread" dd, whatever that is. Having public slanging matches is totally not helpful. If you have an issue with my posts then send me a private message.

Of course contributors are going to be concerned over a new minimum price. It makes no difference whatsoever if we post about this on a public forum. It is displayed very openly under each image on the website.

Not quite sure how you read that as a "we'll-all-be-rooned thread" dd, whatever that is. Having public slanging matches is totally not helpful. If you have an issue with my posts then send me a private message.

Of course contributors are going to be concerned over a new minimum price. It makes no difference whatsoever if we post about this on a public forum. It is displayed very openly under each image on the website.

Callie, I thought it was clear that I was (am) commenting on the thread, not you or any other particular contributor. And come on . . .  "slanging match"? . . . hyperbole is fine I guess, but . . .

Anyhow, back to my opinion: constant harping and whining in this and similar, regularly occuring threads sure as heck, imo, benefits no one.

dd

DD don't always take a bad opinion of something as whining. It is possible to be dis-satisfied with something and to want things to improve. It is also easy to become frustrated with things. I would also love for everything at A to be positive - as I said, I like A, that is why I stay. But pretending everything is positive is not going to make it so.

I would figure a lot of contributors use this forum to let Alamy know how they feel too, rightly or wrongly. Dropping prices are not good, Alamy displaying lower prices is not good. And as I said it makes no difference whether we post here about lowering of prices when it is displayed under every image.

Callie, I thought it was clear that I was (am) commenting on the thread, not you or any other particular contributor. And come on . . .  "slanging match"? . . . hyperbole is fine I guess, but . . .

Anyhow, back to my opinion: constant harping and whining in this and similar, regularly occuring threads sure as heck, imo, benefits no one.

dd

+1 Dusty Dingo.

Whining over Alamy price ignores the competition price, and the exchange rate. It comes off as being naive.

Alamy knows what the competition is charging, and has to meet the price to continue selling our images. If it does not meet the competition price, sales do not occur. Alamy then looses money, like you know who, and may be forced to sell itself to the Chinese.

The stock photo industry has no obligation to set price high enough to give you a profit, or even meet your production costs.

On the other side of the coin everyone seems to like DACS, yet DACS is only pennies per use. Same thing with Public Lending Right for books.

There is an undercurrent of, we can get better prices elsewhere. If that is the case, why are we still here?

Rather than whining about price, it may be more constructive to come up with some ideas on how to make money in the marketplace we have. As a start, for more sales but not higher prices, you may want to read the great suggestions in the Alamy blog here:

Whining about price is like masturbation. It may make you feel better, but it produces nothing.

dd

+1 Dusty Dingo.

<snip>

Whining about price is like masturbation. It may make you feel better, but it produces nothing.

Ooh, I dunno.  I like to feel I have a long-lasting sense of inner peace and happiness. Not that, that is, I mean, erm, <cough> Over to you, Wim...

Could we have that last sentence on a tile please?

wisdom on tiles

How would you search for this on Alamy btw?

Are there really this few here?

If so, go out and shoot!

wim

:lol:

Hey, Wim, you're giving away ideas - is this to be a regular weekend offer? ;)

Could we have that last sentence on a tile please?

wisdom on tiles

How would you search for this on Alamy btw?

Are there really this few here?

If so, go out and shoot!

wim

Searching for wisdom is never easy, even on Alamy it seems.

Also, since many of these tiles are sold commercially, wouldn't there be possible copyright issues?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived