Jul slightly under average @$73.00 gross.

Need a few $100 gross months to make up for really lousy Apr-May-Jun...

Or even just one $170 gross mo. will fill the bill...

Go ahead, educational publishers, get jiggy with it!!!!

HAHA, love your style, Jeff.. I have however gone ahead and edited your post to correct the typos so the others don't get the wrong idea.  ;)

July was slower for me with below average number of licenses, and lower per license fees. However the first six months of 2014 had already passed 2013 in net revenue- helped by a large 4-digit sale, now cleared and paid!

-Jason

Ummm, I don't see anything wrong with Jeff's original post or figures - no typos that I can see.

I think you'll find that his figures refer to his total takings for the month, rather than an average figure received for each license, which is what I believe you have presumed?

I think you'll find it was a little humour added by Jason......

HAHA, love your style, Jeff.. I have however gone ahead and edited your post to correct the typos so the others don't get the wrong idea.  ;)

July was slower for me with below average number of licenses, and lower per license fees. However the first six months of 2014 had already passed 2013 in net revenue- helped by a large 4-digit sale, now cleared and paid!

-Jason

Ummm, I don't see anything wrong with Jeff's original post or figures - no typos that I can see.

I think you'll find that his figures refer to his total takings for the month, rather than an average figure received for each license, which is what I believe you have presumed?

Sarcasm never comes off well in typed form... Sorry for confusion!

I am generally happy when I come close to 10% of Jeff's 'under average' figures and some are probably happy with 1% of that! Hence my 'correction'.

Just love that people like Jeff Greenburg and Keith Morris (and plenty of others!) who put in amazing effort do see real results while others just wonder why things don't work for them.

Still, when one looks at the numbers it takes to get there, it can be understandably daunting... even downright discouraging!

Best,

Jason

-Jason

Sarcasm never comes off well in typed form... Sorry for confusion!

I am generally happy when I come close to 10% of Jeff's 'under average' figures and some are probably happy with 1% of that! Hence my 'correction'.

Just love that people like Jeff Greenburg and Keith Morris (and plenty of others!) who put in amazing effort do see real results while others just wonder why things don't work for them.

Still, when one looks at the numbers it takes to get there, it can be understandably daunting... even downright discouraging!

Best,

Jason

Whoops!  Now I feel dumb.  Thanks for taking the time to explain to those, like me, a little slow on the uptake :D .

I'm in the 1%, by the way, and would commit all kinds of atrocities to get an educational publisher - jiggy or not. :)

15  for 780

Not very good.

wim

'Not very good',   Really?  

With under 1800 images for sale I would be very pleased, I've been with Alamy since 2002 and now with nearly 13000 images I've only exceeded a monthly $1000 payout once,..  I'm obviously taking the wrong images..

Gary

15  for 780

Not very good.

wim

With under 1800 images for sale I would be very pleased, I've been with Alamy since 2002 and now with nearly 13000 images I've only exceeded a monthly $1000 payout once,..  I'm obviously taking the wrong images..

Gary

I think it is all very relative. When you are used to a certain average in sales and dollars each, no matter how many images you have for sale, when it drops, it is not good. Not sure what Wim is used to but my July was not good either since it was half my average sales and dollars.

15  for 780

Not very good.

wim

Gary

I think it is all very relative. When you are used to a certain average in sales and dollars each, no matter how many images you have for sale, when it drops, it is not good. Not sure what Wim is used to but my July was not good either since it was half my average sales and dollars.

I'd say that with less than 2000 images for sale, Wim is really cookin'.

Come to think of it, I could probably cut my collection in half and still make the same number of sales. It's obviously not totally a numbers game.

15 for 780

Not very good.

wim

'Not very good', Really?

With under 1800 images for sale I would be very pleased, I've been with Alamy since 2002 and now with nearly 13000 images I've only exceeded a monthly $1000 payout once,.. I'm obviously taking the wrong images..

Gary

I'd say that with less than 2000 images for sale, Wim is really cookin'.

Come to think of it, I could probably cut my collection in half and still make the same number of sales. It's obviously not totally a numbers game.

Cutting your collection in half may even raise your sales.

Without giving away a secret (I have very little): editing is king for most successful contributors.

My numbers are usually surprisingly close to Michael's numbers in these threads. Though we have one subject in common, our collections are different and the sizes are too.

We both have a good rank, so that's probably it.

What I'm clearly missing is those couple of HP's each month. Which leads me to believe there is a certain maximum for the subjects I have, and it's roughly the same for Michael.

Now my guess is that Michael also had a couple of HP's each month, and he is missing them as well.

If your shooting in a certain style, and there's just a handful of clients or maybe just only one, it can really hurt if that clients suddenly gets a much better deal here; goes somewhere else; or even goes out of business.

I only had few textbook sales, and I have fewer now than a year ago.

My average fee for July is $52, which is not the lowest ever: Once I had a month with an average of around $20 and one with $35.

It's certainly not the lowest total ever either: of course I had my share of zero sales in the beginning. And later during the credit crunch in November 2009 I had my last zero sales month.

As a regular contributor to these threads, most of my monthly numbers are in those. Except for the odd too busy or too far away months.

I wish btw that our new shiny dashboard would tell us all this, and crunch some numbers for us. Like my RPI since 2004 or my monthly average or my single fee average.

More info would help to edit one's collection. I would love to know which images have never been zoomed, or maybe never viewed even.

I do keep a list of every image's sales and that does help. At one point I even looked up and recorded the lens and the focal length used for my sales.

And made decisions (or tried to) based upon that. Probably not of very much consequence.

What does help is:

Studying what sells (maybe try to ignore UK newspapers).

Studying the collections of contributors or agencies that come up in the first row in a search for a subject that you have too. They are coming up first because they sell more. Not because they have better images. Maybe they do have better images that sell better, but usually they understand the need of the client better.

Having said that, I do not do as I preach: I do look at it from time to time, but I'm not good at it. Call it creative integrity or stubbornness or stupidity; usually I shoot the subjects I like in the way I like it.

However if you have a good memory or have good Google skills, there have been some very interesting stories on this forum from people about their successful strategies. Most of them have since vanished from these pages.

We will probably never see the real success stories.

-You know what they say about the land of the blind ;-)

wim

(who proposes to rename this forum: Plato's Cave)

edit: editing is king for most successful contributors

Wim, yes, we seem to have very similar stats, except that your collection is much more tightly edited. I admit, I do have a lot of crap and could use some trimming. But then every month I am surprised when some of the crap sells. I am pleased with my ranking and honestly not sure how it got so good, but I am sure that has helped sales.

I feel dumb, I don't know what HP's are. Oh, maybe Huffington Post? If so, those have mostly dried up but now CNTraveler has sort replaced them for the high volume, low value sales.

Like you, Wim, I tend to shot what like and in the way I like. But what has helped, I think, is that I shoot super wide variety of subjects.

Wim, yes, we seem to have very similar stats, except that your collection is much more tightly edited. I admit, I do have a lot of crap and could use some trimming. But then every month I am surprised when some of the crap sells. I am pleased with my ranking and honestly not sure how it got so good, but I am sure that has helped sales.

I feel dumb, I don't know what HP's are. Oh, maybe Huffington Post? If so, those have mostly dried up but now CNTraveler has sort replaced them for the high volume, low value sales.

Like you, Wim, I tend to shot what like and in the way I like. But what has helped, I think, is that I shot super wide variety of subjects.

Ah, that's the other secret! (not the edting)

My crap is also mostly still there, at the rear of the pack, if it sells, I move it to non-crap ;-)

Yes about the Huffs and the slide shows of CNTraveler, which are a pain to navigate. Different images though (see secret #2).

There are some images I don't bother to put up btw because you have better ones for the same subject ;-)

Like that Hooper Strait light house (insert green smiley face).

That's editing too.

wim

Wim, my gross earnings last month were exactly twice yours (to the $), which if it were just a numbers game, would make sense because my collection is about 2.5X larger than yours. However, July was an exceptionally good month for me, and you say it was not good for you. So there are obviously a lot of different factors at work. It's all relative, as they say.

In my case, I have a core collection of images that sell very well here, with numerous repeat sellers. I could no doubt trim the peripheries considerably. However, I don't see much point in doing that as my ranking remains very good and sales are consistent (touch wood). Plus, like Michael, I'm often surprised by what can lease. Editing is obviously really important, but it's not everything IME.

Wim, my gross earnings last month were exactly twice yours (to the $), which if it were just a numbers game, would make sense because my collection is about 2.5X larger than yours. However, July was an exceptionally good month for me, and you say it was not good for you. So there are obviously a lot of different factors at work. It's all relative, as they say.

In my case, I have a core collection of images that sell very well here, with numerous repeat sellers. I could no doubt trim the peripheries considerably. However, I don't see much point in doing that as my ranking remains very good and sales are consistent (touch wood). Plus, like Michael, I'm often surprised by what can lease. Editing is obviously really important, but it's not everything IME.

Sales is the best rank there is.

Some months are better, even with bigger collections: a large client reporting a year worth of uses; the deadlines of the textbooks; one or two major travel guides; the holiday season shopping.

Even JG and KM report higher and lower numbers here.

wim

edit:

- hit the button too soon -

John,

Your average is much better and your total gross is considerably up from 2013. While I'm about a month behind.

I had moved my sold and a few others I considered best into another Pseudonym and its CTR is steadily declining despite having had as many sales in first half of this year as in whole of 2013.

I am very conscious even on the All of Alamy searches how few zooms there are since the enlarged rollover image.

Really confused as to what to do. I do have another account that I have never submitted the initial 4 images to QC for. I really wonder whether the old detritus in the account drags down the best even in a different pseudonym in the same account. Should I start over with a new account?

I had moved my sold and a few others I considered best into another Pseudonym and its CTR is steadily declining despite having had as many sales in first half of this year as in whole of 2013.

I am very conscious even on the All of Alamy searches how few zooms there are since the enlarged rollover image.

Really confused as to what to do. I do have another account that I have never submitted the initial 4 images to QC for. I really wonder whether the old detritus in the account drags down the best even in a different pseudonym in the same account. Should I start over with a new account?

Martin, how is setting up a new account any different from just using new pseudonyms? Aren't both assigned a middle ranking to begin with?

Martin, how is setting up a new account any different from just using new pseudonyms? Aren't both assigned a middle ranking to begin with?

That is what I have always believed but I am at the stage of clutching at straws!

That is what I have always believed but I am at the stage of clutching at straws!

Martin. I don't know anything about the UK photo market, but do you use Alamy Measures much to see what buyers might be looking for, especially in your area? Unfortunately, little demand = few sales.

> I would love to know which images have never been zoomed, or maybe never viewed even.

I specifically emailed Alamy requesting that info ~2008.

Response was (paraphrase) "no, no, no, we do not recommend deleting ANY online images as they could license in future."

:o :o :o

Yes, I'd like to see data for most-viewed-never-zoomed images

& then make "mental" judgment on deleting similars, unsalables....

Do never-viewed have effect on ranking...?

From the individual contributors POV it would be nice to know images that have been viewed but never been zoomed, to delete them, but from Alamy's POV that would not be best for them as their business is to sell images and they dont really care who takes them I guess. 

I doubt that images that have never even been viewed contribute to CTR 

Kumar

> I would love to know which images have never been zoomed, or maybe never viewed even.

Response was (paraphrase) "no, no, no, we do not recommend deleting ANY online images as they could license in future."

From the individual contributors POV it would be nice to know images that have been viewed but never been zoomed, to delete them, but from Alamy's POV that would not be best for them as their business is to sell images and they dont really care who takes them I guess. 

Kumar

Isn't the total number of images in a pseudonym part of the algorythm that makes up Alamy rank. So two sales in a collection of 500 will probably result in a better rank than two sales from a collection of 50000. (Dependent on other factors.) That's seems to be how it works with mine at least.

Ranking and CTR should not be confused as they are not the same thing although the latter may have some effect on the former.  I am not sure if the number of sales relative to total number of images in a collection counts towards ranking or whether it is just relative to number of images viewed within the time period.

Pearl

Kumar

But, Doc. Is it not entirely possible that the images that did not sell for you last month or in previous months will be the ones that sell next month? Off hand I can only recall two subjects that I saw and thought: that will sell! One was a landmark . . . but the other was a detail of something here in the city that until that time had gone unnoticed. It sold twice in a month at $175 each time. But face it: "inspiration" is nothing more than a lucky guess. I'd like to have a dime for every time I've been wrong and disappointed. 

Edo

Archived