Re-rank tomorrow

Despite increasing zooms and sales. Down from 14 to 23????? :huh:

Allan

Welcome.

Says it all, really.  My BHZ up, sales and zooms lousy, your BHZs down, but sales and zooms stonking.

It's just a game we play.

A game indeed and a pointless game at that. But I still have a BHZ, and my position has moved from page 4 to page 2. Isn't that grand? But where are the sales? 

The only numbers and the only games I'm interested in are sales and prices . . . and those stories are very sad. 

I don't bother anymore :wacko: All I care about are SALES.

Cheers,

Philippe

My thoughts exactly, Philippe . . . or half my thoughts, because Price is also an important number. 

I just did a relatively wide test search on "food nyc." Out of the 9,500 images that popped up, 12 of mine were on Page One. And most buyers would do a tighter search than that, don't you think? 

Alamy has stated many times that the BHZ test is all but worthless.

I'm not quite sure why people are so critical of BHZ, since it does serve a very useful purpose.

Sales are obviously the only thing we really care about,  but you have to accept that a good rank is essential to getting those sales. Since Alamy don't let us know our ranking, it's the best tool we have for giving some indication of how we're faring, particulary when there's a re-rank. If we move up or down, it means we're doing something right or wrong.

The beauty of BHZ is that, generally speaking, everyone has complied with the "rules" and put it in the Esskeys - and thus it provides a fairly good statistical sample. If you do tests using your own words and search terms, it immediately becomes subjective. You keyworded an image and so are using phrases familiar to you - therefore, it's not surprising that you'll appear high up in a search (since word order and position are almost as important as ranking).

Ed's search for "Food NYC" is a case in point. There's not been search for that phrase in the past 12 months and, when you put it in the search box on the home page, auto-completion doesn't suggest anything - indicating it's never been searched. "Food New York" has.

In fact, only 91 images have "food nyc" in that order and they're always going to appear higher up in search results than images that have the two words not adjacent. Even without the quotation marks, words next to each other and in a specific order will be preferred.

In the end, BHZ isn't anything but a useful and relatively objective tool to give an indication or rank and movement in rank. I would guarantee that anybody at the very top of BHZ, with a substantial quantity of images (smaller portfolios tend to yo-yo much more) will be making good sales.

Ian D

I'm not quite sure why people are so critical of BHZ, since it does serve a very useful purpose.

Sales are obviously the only thing we really care about,  but you have to accept that a good rank is essential to getting those sales. Since Alamy don't let us know our ranking, it's the best tool we have for giving some indication of how we're faring, particulary when there's a re-rank. If we move up or down, it means we're doing something right or wrong.

The beauty of BHZ is that, generally speaking, everyone has complied with the "rules" and put it in the Esskeys - and thus it provides a fairly good statistical sample. If you do tests using your own words and search terms, it immediately becomes subjective. You keyworded an image and so are using phrases familiar to you - therefore, it's not surprising that you'll appear high up in a search (since word order and position are almost as important as ranking).

Ed's search for "Food NYC" is a case in point. There's not been search for that phrase in the past 12 months and, when you put it in the search box on the home page, auto-completion doesn't suggest anything - indicating it's never been searched. "Food New York" has.

In fact, only 91 images have "food nyc" in that order and they're always going to appear higher up in search results than images that have the two words not adjacent. Even without the quotation marks, words next to each other and in a specific order will be preferred.

In the end, BHZ isn't anything but a useful and relatively objective tool to give an indication or rank and movement in rank. I would guarantee that anybody at the very top of BHZ, with a substantial quantity of images (smaller portfolios tend to yo-yo much more) will be making good sales.

Ian D

I have never understood this negative attitude either for exactly these reasons.  Well said Ian.  It is the best tool available to us IMO and I find it very useful for tracking the position of my various pseudos.  Any info is useful even if not perfect

Pearl

I've been quaking in fear for several weeks awaiting the results of the rerank.  Despite a horrific January I thankfully find I'm still on page 20.  My BHZ images for two pseudos have slipped at most a row or two.  I'm not thrilled but at least I'm not on page 26.  Onward and upward.  Reviewing and improving my keywords is now my highest priority.

Sales are obviously the only thing we really care about, but you have to accept that a good rank is essential to getting those sales. Since Alamy don't let us know our ranking, it's the best tool we have for giving some indication of how we're faring, particulary when there's a re-rank. If we move up or down, it means we're doing something right or wrong.

Ian D

I have never understood this negative attitude either for exactly these reasons. Well said Ian. It is the best tool available to us IMO and I find it very useful for tracking the position of my various pseudos. Any info is useful even if not perfect

Pearl

Pearl

+1

Kumar

I had a good clean out of my main pseudos recently and I have gone up from page 5 to page 2 on all three in the re ranking. Great. Can't believe it. Unfortunately there is only one way for me to go now!

dov

Up to page 1. :)

Allan

I posted this in the wrong thread:

I stopped using BHZ some years ago but I juggled my pseudonyms and did a bit of keyword refining a few weeks ago so I am giving it another go. The result is I am at about 80% down the pages - all 4 images from different pseudonyms are in a block of half a dozen images on page 21 (which explains my lack of sales and zooms). Is there less ranking weight by pseudonym and more by contributor or even image than we thought?

With new (median) pseudonyms could that be where the median scores range with the randomisation element of search results? Seems wide. I will take another look at my ranking tomorrow (when caches have cleared) to see if I can get a a feel for how the algorithm mixes up equal ranks when displaying the results.

Yet when I search on real single keywords I am halfway down the first page on some of my main pseudonyms. Seems to suggest that individual images may be weighted. Whatever is happening it implies that the Alamy Rank algorithm is complex and no single action is likely to influence a contributor's signiificantly

Archived