Images licenced December 2023

salt-pond-eastham-ma-cape-cod-massachuse

Web editorial UK - third UK license in the past few weeks - and second for DACS which might improve on the highish $ fee (the exchange rate sure isn't helping)- RM in perpetuity

I was heading out to a lighthouse in Eastham, on Cape Cod, to get photos of the lighthouse at sunset & then after dark. It was late autumn, off-season, but the traffic was brutal - that far out on the Cape there's only one two-lane road you can take. I spotted this pond to my right as I was completely stopped in traffic so decided to explore - spent over an hour there until it started getting towards dusk, then made it to the lighthouse in time for my planned photos. A silver lining.

Edited by Marianne
  • Love 7

On 06/12/2023 at 05:50, Steve F said:

Well, negative space is a thing. But it should have some sort of interest, or work with the main subject. Hard to explain sometimes. The difference between a good composition vs poor framing of the subject...

On 06/12/2023 at 06:01, gvallee said:

Got you. I hate empty spaces with nothing of interest. I do crop my images a lot.

I am very into shooting with negative space - it started when I started shooting professionally - I got into photography as a result of my part-time writing career because I was asked to take photos to go with articles and then I was hired for photography to photograph magazine covers and I had to leave empty space at the top. Fast forward to learning about stock photography and horizontals with negative space were added to the list. I've always liked the rule of thirds since taking design classes in high school and college, so shooting images with negative space as an extension of this concept comes naturally to me. But it has its place - it sure doesn't work for lots of images. 

What's funny is that a lot of my most licensed images have a lot of negative space but surprisingly when I've found them in use, they usually do not have text in that copy space. I don't shoot with negative space just for the sake of empty space - I try to be conscious of how the image works on its own. That's what's great about photography, two people can look at the same scene and their composition and style can mean they both take very different photos. 

I went on a fabulous trip to Sweden, Iceland, Estonia & Russia with a friend I met through this forum - via a post back in 2009 or 2010 asking whether anyone was going to PhotoExpo in NYC - anyway, we spent much of our time during those 9 or 10 days together taking photos and I don't think we shot any images that could be confused for the other's. We've wandered around NYC together taking photos several times, and again, no dupes. Good thing or stock sites would be even more monotonous LOL. That's what's great about Alamy's not determining "saleability" when accepting/rejecting images. It makes for a much more interesting and diverse portfolio. 

Had a sale yesterday of one of those "negative space: images - if I find it online it will be interesting to see if they've used the space or not. I think it also works on its own as a composition. But it's definitely an individual style choice. Nearly all my licenses this year have a fair amount of negative space, and many are repeat sellers. So horses for courses I guess. (I just checked and that's a British expression LOL I was afraid it was American and you might be scratching your heads).

• Love 3

2 minutes ago, Marianne said:

so shooting images with negative space as an extension of this concept comes naturally to me. But it has its place - it sure doesn't work for lots of images. 

Agreed. It definitely has it's place. But it doesn't work for lots of images. Depends what's in the negative space too.

2 minutes ago, Marianne said:

So horses for courses I guess. (I just checked and that's a British expression LOL I was afraid it was American and you might be scratching your heads).

It is used here too! But we're normally ok on Americanisms, there's so many US sitcoms, series and films over here.

8 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Agreed. It definitely has it's place. But it doesn't work for lots of images. Depends what's in the negative space too.

It is used here too! But we're normally ok on Americanisms, there's so many US sitcoms, series and films over here.

According to the Cambridge dictionary it is actually a Britishism. 

Yesterday, my husband told me that while on a Zoom call, he asked, "Any joy?" and fortunately his American clients got the reference. He blamed me* (*facetiously) for making him watch so many British sitcoms, mystery and crime shows. When he started watching BritBox & Acorn TV (streaming services with lots of UK TV shows) with me, I used to have to "translate" for him, but now he'd fit right in here.

Edited by Marianne
  • Love 2

I've never seen license terms quite like these. Once upon a time, an educational use comparable to this would probably have had a $$$ fee:

Editorial, Image use Online Learning | Editorial Website/Video | Any size, Single placement and design, Use within reference to animation | Worldwide | In perpetuity + unlimited flashes (low $)

Mayan woodcarvers, Quintana Roo, Mexico

maya-wood-carvers-at-a-mayan-market-sacr

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 2
  • Like 2

lowish $$

vintage neon sign,  musso & franks grill, oldest restaurant in Hollywood, Los Angeles California LA USA. established 1919

2RP2HEH.jpg

Rights Managed Country: Australia
Usage: Editorial
Media: Magazine - print, digital and electronic
Print run: up to 25,000
Placement: Inside
Image Size: 1 page
Start: 07 December 2023
Duration: In perpetuity Single editorial use permitted in single issue; Up to 22,000 print run; Excludes advertorial/advertising 

• Love 3
  • Like 1

$$

Usage: Magazines and books, Use in a single magazine or book (print and/or digital), inside use, 2,500 circulation, worldwide (excludes advertising).
Duration: In perpetuity grr.

Pleased to see a 'cathedral of sewage' license though. From my most recent sub in June (yeah, tell me about it🙁)

streatham-common-pumping-station-by-james-william-restler-1894-68-conyers-rd-streatham-london-2R5BEAC.jpg

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

$$

Usage: Magazines and books, Use in a single magazine or book (print and/or digital), inside use, 2,500 circulation, worldwide (excludes advertising).
Duration: In perpetuity grr.

Pleased to see a 'cathedral of sewage' license though. From my most recent sub in June (yeah, tell me about it🙁)

streatham-common-pumping-station-by-james-william-restler-1894-68-conyers-rd-streatham-london-2R5BEAC.jpg

A familiar building, Mark.

I used to walk past every day on my way to and from school🙃

• Thanks 1

young-surfer-walking-in-playa-de-san-jua

Young surfer walking in Playa de San Juan beach shoreline (San Juan de Nieva, El Espartal, Castrillón, Asturias, Cantabrian sea, Spain)

This is an image made by my other half :)

Low $

Usage: Editorial

Media: Editorial website

Industry sector: General business services

Image Size: Any size

Start: 01 October 2023

Duration: In perpetuity Spain,Editorial website

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Dublin--low $

TX92C8.jpg

Usage: Editorial, For Editorial use on customers website, app and social media platforms (excludes Advertising)
Media: Website, app and social media
Start: 08 December 2023
Duration: Unlimited

We weren't even supposed to be going to Dublin on this trip but the airline stranded us for 48 hours. I tried to make the most of it! This image (taken across the street from our Airbnb) has sold a few times. Probably not enough yet to cover the cost of the Airbnb ;)

• Like 1