Should Images for the Alamy monthly competition run by Members be allowed to be re-edited before submission to the competition?

Doc

Hi all,

Our monthly competition is for up to 3 images per member to be submitted for the selection of the eventual winner. We state that the images have to be on sale on Alamy, but some of you may have read the discussion in the November competition about whether those Alamy images can be re-edited and then submitted for the competition if the photographer is in some way unhappy with the original image on sale.

What do we all think?

Thanks for your opinion!

Kumar

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Hi all,

Our monthly competition is for up to 3 images per member to be submitted for the selection of the eventual winner. We state that the images have to be on sale on Alamy, but some of you may have read the discussion in the November competition about whether those Alamy images can be re-edited and then submitted for the competition if the photographer is in some way unhappy with the original image on sale.

What do we all think?

Thanks for your opinion!

Kumar

I think that the idea behind these "contests" is to have some fun. Why does it have to be discussed and get complicated? It is what it is, right?

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Surely it is easy to re-edit and then submit to Alamy before putting it in the challenge. I say, 'Let's have fun'. Ok with me for a new edit to be entered. I hadn't understood Jeff's question because I didn't know that version was not available on Alamy. Because I like to use the challenge as a showcase for my work I would be making sure it was for sale before submitting it. I tend to balk at laws. Freedom for all, I say.

Paulette

• Like 1

I agree that the monthly challenges are strictly for fun. I'm not really interested in "competing" with anyone (life's too short). It's always great to see other people's work. I didn't follow the conversation, but the requirement that submitted images should currently be available on Alamy sounds reasonable to me. We could make a rule that once an image is submitted, it can't be replaced, just withdrawn from the challenge. That would be OK with me, but perhaps it's a bit draconian for some.

In my opinion, providing an image is on Alamy, it should be alright to alter our choice of entries submitted, re-edited or not. I have 3 800+ images for the water theme. If I was inclined, which I'm not, I could search deeper in my portfolio and perhaps find a preferred pic. Sometimes memory kicks in and I wish I had chosen a different one. 

I'm all in favour of keeping rules simple, as others have said, it's all a bit of fun. In a group on social media, I have been critized for participating in the competition for the monthly banner. 'It's not fair, she does it for a living' some said. A living!! I would be starving. As a result, admin kicked out some members. Such shenanigans for what is supposed to be a bit of fun. For a banner... So trivial... Let's stick to the fun!

Edited by gvallee
Shenanigans has only one n...
  • Like 1

In the early days it wasn't even a requirement that the images should be on Alamy. The original idea was that it was an informal competition for contributors to submit their best pictures. IIRC after a few months one competition-setter decided on the "on Alamy" rule and everyone followed suit thereafter.

Alan

Having been going through the process of searching through old drives to find new and/or improve images to make available for licencing I'd reached 2017 when the bike challenge popped up. Purely by coincidence the image that was chosen for voting was one such image that I'd plucked out for improving of the editing, so it made sense to offer the better image. I don't know whether that has anything to do with any comments but thought it worth a mention. I'd say that anything uploaded by the closing date is good to go.

• Like 3

The image should be the best uploaded to Alamy and not need improvement. Simples.

If the uploaded image was not the best why was it uploaded in the first place.

Allan

• Love 1

43 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

The image should be the best uploaded to Alamy and not need improvement.

Skills and software improve over time, plus increased knowledge of subjects and awareness of the need for copy space etc. It's been a very steep learning curve.

By restricting entries to only those available on Alamy it gives all contributors an opportunity to enter without the need to have their own separate website or other means of uploading images. There are plenty of alternative opportunities for folk to enter photo competitions, let's keep this one simple and readily accessible. 

Edited by Bryan
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Avpics said:

Skills and software improve over time, plus increased knowledge of subjects and awareness of the need for copy space etc. It's been a very steep learning curve.

OK! I will rephrase my comment above.

Original :-  If the uploaded image was not the best why was it uploaded in the first place.

New :-   If the image was not the best that existing conditions would allow at the time of upload why was it uploaded.

Allan

38 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

OK! I will rephrase my comment above.

Original :-  If the uploaded image was not the best why was it uploaded in the first place.

New :-   If the image was not the best that existing conditions would allow at the time of upload why was it uploaded.

Allan

Oh, Allan. When I look into my past at all the decisions I have made there are some I would change. Wisdom comes with age (or possibly never).

Paulette

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

Oh, Allan. When I look into my past at all the decisions I have made there are some I would change. Wisdom comes with age (or possibly never).

Paulette

Hi Paulette, I am not saying we should not make changes to images uploaded in the past.  I have done that myself.

What I am saying is that we really should not be changing images specifically for the members competition.

Oh this is getting out of hand.

I'm ending my input on this subject now.

Allan

• Love 1

25 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Hi Paulette, I am not saying we should not make changes to images uploaded in the past.  I have done that myself.

What I am saying is that we really should not be changing images specifically for the members competition.

Oh this is getting out of hand.

I'm ending my input on this subject now.

Allan

This is how I see it too.  I have gone back and re-worked older images with new software and then uploaded those and then request deletion of the older version. 

Hi all,

Thank you all for your contributions to the discussion! From your suggestions, I think the status quo is the favoured option.

Obviously anyone can re-work an Alamy image that could be improved, and re-upload/submit it, but for the purpose of simplicity for the competition perhaps we should stick with the rule that an image has to be on sale as is, to be entered into the competition.

Best

Kumar

• Like 2